Is it true that 'fudanshi' exist?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 7174PK, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, my brother doesn't really like yuri, he's strictly m/f relationship, but it's not like he's against it, so why would he be an idiot? Unless I'm misinterpreting something. Anyway, you can be straight as an arrow and still like yaoi because not all yaoi caters to fantasies or stereotype. I myself didn't like yaoi until highschool when I actually read something that wasn't smut.

2. fuyuuri

fuyuuri 『 冬瓜 』『 ☀ and ☾ 』『 hibiscus 茶 tea 』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup! They exist! I've known a few!

This is just hearsay, but I actually think most fudanshi are straight/bi/bicurious and not gay.

Most gay men (this is a stereotype) don't really like BL/yaoi because it's an extremely unrealistic depiction of real homosexual relationships.

It's commonly claimed that gay men like bara, although personally I haven't actually known any gay men who fit this stereotype. On the other hand, I have known gay men who like heterosexual fiction! It's quite strange!

Or perhaps not! I actually don't think the fictional couple's heterosexuality/homosexuality matters that much to a reader's attraction to the characters. To me, all that matters is the presence of eye candy of the gender that the reader likes. For example, I really can't get into yuri (not interested very much in women), but BL/het romance is about the same to me and I'll like the guys regardless if they're shipped to a girl or a guy!

Moonpearl and Sherrynity like this.
  3. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I was talking with a few guys and we all liked lesbians but one, who didn't just not like them. He was disgusted with them. Like deeply offended, perhaps due to religion. anyway we concluded he's an idiot so straight guys who dislike lesbians are idiots. I mean if you like girls why would you like just one girl at a time, that's like saying you don't want two burgers even if you're hungry, just one.

Sherrynity likes this.
  4. Innieminnie

Reading List:
    Link
    *Scratches head* some people just aren't into that..think of it as that other burger having mouldy cheese on it. Or rather onions or mustard or an ingredient you don't like that no matter what it is or if you can pick it off you still wouldn't eat it :blobsweat_2:

And I wouldn't say dislike, I meant more as an I'm not interested in watching/viewing that type of thing.

5. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    ^this.
    I often heard about this thing but never saw one IRL (coz I don't have gay friend).

6. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a good comparison. You can like both girls individually but not together? That's not the same as liking one and not the other, in the common sterotype of a pretty lesbian + a tomboy.

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THIS
    I wanna know this too.
    Is it true or just urban legend?

8. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, the group I stan, Seventeen have alot of Japanese fudanshi, its quite weird to see males screech of other males holding hands etc lol but its adorable!!

Moonpearl likes this.
  9. Innieminnie

Reading List:
    Link
    Would it help if I say Liking the appearance and body of both girls but not liking to watch them make out etc?

10. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I just said your methaphore didn't make sense.

11. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a straight one in real life. I'm not sure what he likes about it, but I think it's my fault.

There's "himedanshi". The female version is "himejoshi".