Why do critics on rotten tomatoes think batwoman is better than the joker?

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    I just don't understand :blobdizzy:

2. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ratings for tv shows arent the same as for movies

3. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Feminism. That's all it is. They think making stuff with women is always better than men. Look at how they ruined ghost busters.

4. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's presumably politics. The Joker is supposed to be politically incorrect or something so they'll give it a bad rating out of principal like they did Dave's new special.

otaku31, Delirious, drewjn and 5 others like this.
  5. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2019-10-24_20-12-18.jpeg

Arash1, NamGi, Gin_Hindew and 2 others like this.
  6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    How have we not learned from NU? Ratings for things are always inaccurate and don't mean anything.

7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They've been wrong so often now that I don't even trust their reviews now. I just check the audience's score before moving on.

Professionals huh? *spit*

8. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they don't judge the movie for its merits as a MOVIE, they look at it through politically tinted glasses. As I read one of the critical reviews, I understood where the author was coming from, however, as much as his views agreed with mine, they had no place in a movie review. So, you have a bunch of modern SJW's judging the movie for its "messages" and forget what the point of movies really is. It's not a manual to live your life by, geez. As for the Batwoman, I haven't seen it and I haven't read any reviews, so I can't express an opinion. Oh, btw, that reminds me that the reviewer I was talking about earlier even wrote that he doesn't intend to watch Joker, yet he's writing an opinion piece. What? Based on what? :blobunsure::blob_tilt: I mean, that should give you an idea about where their opinions come from.

9. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    It's their job to rate movies, so if they actualy tate a movie badly, sudenly it's a lot harder to make a living from it. At the same time as they rate movies higer than they should someone 'acidentialy' dropped some sweet sweet cash infront of them.
    There is also that movies are subjected to personal prefrences.
    And don't make me mention the feminist wave surhing through holywood right now, where every movie with a female MC get higer ratings (with some people saying that men can't acuratly rate a movie with a female MC, couse they are MALE).

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

12. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Because being a critic is similar in style to being a politician.
    They give their opinions on what they watch but at the same time they rely on people reading them or watching them to get their income. So they Taylor their content to be more attractive to a target audience of their choice. Perhaps the way some Taylor their content doesn't violate it's integrity but with alot it does. It is a business to them and they will do what they must to stay popular and relevant. In America's current social climate it is seen as better to be 'lefty' so the people who flip flop around whichever way they think the wind blows write reviews and rate things in a way that fits the current social climate.

Ofcourse there are people who stand on either side irrelevant of social climate and some others whom review in as logical a manner of possible or just with their own unique spin or bias but I think these people are in the minority which is why we see so many reviews that review the social and political implications of a show and all the points they bring up are looked at through that lense as opposed to what you would consider and honest review of what is actually in the show or movie.

Most reviews I see surrounding movies that try to make Social-Political points or shows/movies that have people ascribing these points to them are plagued with reviews that don't review the quality of the product. Just what it says about what social Political points they care about. Some mask it and others are pretty blunt about it.

In the end a review is a review and they can plague the review section with that crap. Pretty easy to spot it quick and filter that shit out though... Either seat of the aisle it comes from.

drewjn likes this.
  13. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you know that its the same critics? Did you go through the names of the critics?
    I for one just skimmed through the reviews by newspaper on RT and can with 100% certainty say that you don't know wtf you are talking about.

People who continue to use the "feminist" and "political" arguments when talking about, games, movies or TV-shows are challenged in more places than one imo

14. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    it's just a loss of standards and objectivity. being able to judge things like musical scores, story writing, and so on used to defer to people that were at least somewhat skilled in the craft. instead of asking people like that for their thoughts and giving each movie a fair break, they're going for the cheap clickbait opinion writers that have no qualifications to judge anything. it's the same as game journalists not actually being able to play a game, so they write about how horribly difficult and uninspired the tutorial was, as if it represented everything the game had to offer.

actual professionals are expensive, don't give opinions that bring in clicks, and you can't expect these bargain-bin "professionals" they're hiring to actually sit through the whole thing before giving their thoughts. especially not when there's so many other things waiting for their special brand of opinion. may as well get a couple people with strong opinions from the start, so they have stuff to say before they even have something to review.

15. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rottentomatoes are sellouts, it has been proven that they erase audience's reviews that dont conform to whatever posture they have, while the critics continuously give ratings based on political correctness

16. MourningMoon

MourningMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the OP said was he didn't understand why reviews for Batwoman was better than Joker. Most people just look at the overall score which is what I would guess was what the OP did and saw that Batwoman>Joker. Not sure why you have such an aggressive tone there.

Also it is a trend that on certain review sites like RT that the more politically correct something is the higher the reviews tend to be. I've also seen some of the some reviews that have been posted by some of these critics and generally they tend to be mostly about how politically correct the movie is and only have 1-2 paragraphs on the sort of things the general audience cares about (ei, is the story well written? is the acting good?)

17. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Few different reasons and none of them have to do with the PC BS that so many here seem to think.

1) Joker is controversial that in itself can easily cause a loss of score if the reviewer doesn't like it.
    2) Movies and TV shows are often rated differently. A TV show will usually start off with a higher rating compared to a movie and over time that rating will adjust itself. Movies on the other hand have to deal with whether they live up to the hype which most critics have said that Joker did not do. Critics will often give a first season a pass even if it isn't perfect if they see potential in it by giving it a higher score than most would think it deserves.
    3) Just look at the number of reviews that each of them have. Joker almost 500/ Batgirl 41. The more reviews there are the more likely that a lower score will happen especially if the movie is controversial.
    4) Professional critics have judged so many movies/ tv shows that they have formed a standard that they judge by. This can lead them to ignore some things while taking into account others that most people wouldn't even think about.

That said people don't always agree with professional critics which is why rotten tomatoes has 2 scores; 1(the one that you are asking about) is taken from the reviews by professional critics from a number of different publications, and the other from laymen, people like you and me, who only care about the entertainment value. BTW the second score has Joker winning by a huge margin.

19. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    They cannot be trusted.

It's a review site run by SJW, Feminism & Overly Sensitive Individuals who pushes their own agenda.

Just look at this review.

Untitled 1.png

moto likes this.
  20. Arash1

Arash1 A Simple Introvert

Reading List:
    Link
    Its easy Joker is a guy. (No matter how cool he is or I think he is)
    Batwoman is a girl (a girl with a good figure)
    So, of course, Batwoman should get higher scores.
    [​IMG]