Discussion Can Jap Isekai Novels send their MC in a world that is not inspired by Fantasy Medieval Europe?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Halmista, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm getting tired of Jap Isekais always being set in fantasy medieval Europe. I know this started because of classic JRPG's usual settings and wanting to evoke that feeling of adventuring like in JRPGs but can't they think of other places to Isekai the MC to? I've seen some old ones in Ancient Japan. Meanwhile cn novels always Isekai their MCs at Fantasy ancient China.

I'm tired of Isekais in general but I doubt this trend will die anytime soon so they should at least try to think of new shit??

Mnotia, mir, Alva Quinn and 4 others like this.
  2. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s not the authors’ fault. It’s just that only truck-kun has the power to decide where the MCs are sent. This is the risk that all authors have to take when they decide to write an isekai novel, they have no idea what kind of world their novel is going to have and everything is as dictated by truck-kun. Authors can only take over the story after truck-kun finishes his job.
    There are even times when authors don’t want to write an isekai novel but then truck-kun keeps reappearing no matter how many times they decide to rewrite...

Mnotia, mir, xchronicles and 15 others like this.
  3. sadmanex

sadmanex [I'm popular too]

Reading List:
    Link
    ok, i will tell jap authors after this

Alva Quinn, Wujigege, Hanten and 5 others like this.
  4. Elzio

Elzio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because there is generic princess, kingdom, adventure guild, fantasy creature, and shitty Noble theme, so maybe thats why every isekai got European theme trope..

Alva Quinn likes this.
  5. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's already post-apocalyptic timelines, parallel planetary timelines, and quantum lock timelines. These three mostly cover majority of another world fantasy/science fiction settings. The only new setting that is possible is starting in a completely different culture and species world. Not of any Western or Eastern influence at all.

mir likes this.
  6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, they isekai them to the Sengoku Era, too. I'm convinced now that half of Oda Nobunaga's army/acquaintances (if not the man himself) must hv been transmigrators. :blobpeek:

Edit: Most recent isekai is written by amateurs hoping to gain quick results by aping the tried, tested and successful formula of their predecessors rather than experimenting or venturing into new territories/settings. This genre has come to represent the height of unimaginative fiction.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  7. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell them also please release novel more faster. ;)

8. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or little girls

9. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    It's mostly medieval europe timewise ,or alternate earth

10. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a lot isekai novel? I feel like i found less sob sob novel isekai that fit my requirements is hard to find sighhhh and a lot of them are not complete sob sob so i haven't get enough of isekai novels
    Rebirth, transmigration, world hopping is my favourite ❤️❤️❤️

11. rasyidmystery

rasyidmystery Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz they want to make their main audience (japanese) feel the culture gap between earth and the isekai hence they choose the easiest for them that is the medieval western culture

12. TwlLlghT

TwlLlghT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they can make harems in medieval settings
    And no age restriction. Only morals restriction

13. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    The choice of world-building stems from western fantasy, since that's what's "exotic" for them. I have seen a couple of isekais where the MC is sent either to ancient Japan (usually the Warring States period) or to sci-fi worlds.

One example of the former is Oda Nobuna no Yabou, while from the latter, the only one I know is a series that yoraikun started after finishing with Shieldbro (it's not the only one that exists, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the matter).

There's also what are called "reverse isekai" where they have characters from other worlds come to present-day Japan.

mir likes this.
  14. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    Start a rebellion by creating a global community which could represent itself as 'Anti-Isekaism', It should have readers who are dissatisfied with the continuous barrage of Isekai garbage all around which is impossible. Putting aside, It's not going to change unless readers like different novelty based ones or by introducing a new addicting theme different from Isekai. Future novels need to be projected differently, most importantly, the fate of the novel will depend on readers on majority level...

Hanten likes this.
  15. Wildly_Laughing

Wildly_Laughing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also more than a few where they're sent to the Warring States period in Japan's history.

16. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not Japanese but because of them writing too much about Oda Nobunaga, I learned that part of their history pretty well.

I like this theory.

They can make harems from the home of the word, Ottoman Turkey lol. That would be interesting, Isekai to Ottoman Turkey kind of world. Shoukoku no Altair (not an isekai) is pretty great by the way.

Who knows the email of Truck-kun? I'm writing a complaint.

I've already seen Jap light novel writing contest prohibiting isekais so that's already a start haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2019
  17. comradeprozac

comradeprozac Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the three main methods of Isekai, reincarnation, transportation and summoning, are deeply rooted in fantasy. There's also the fact that some may see a fantasy setting as easier to flesh out.

Everyone knows the classic tropes of fantasy settings:
    • Nobles
    • Adventurers
    • Elves
    • Dwarves
    • Beast people
    • Demons
    • Monster girls
    • Heroes
    • Demon Lords
    • Magic
    • Abilities & Skills
    • etc.
    And so you don't have to spend too much time explaining the basics and you can go straight to the specifics (unfortunately some authors don't get this part and still explain the basics).

A sci-fi setting is less regular and by the time you start writing an isekai set in a sci-fi setting... why not just write a sci-fi story?

There's also those isekai stories that for the most part most people just don't consider an isekai story for the simple fact that it takes place in an alternative reality of modern day where somethings are a bit different (maybe there's some form of supernatural underworld, maybe it's 5 minutes into the future, maybe the world is just really anime and there are catgirls walking the streets, maybe the protagonist fell into an modern day otome game) but for the most part is just your everyday modern world.

There's also all those isekai novels that don't really take place in a standard medieval fantasy setting but the only way you'll found out is by reading them.

Mnotia, mir and Alva Quinn like this.
  18. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, I forgot the series 12 Kingdoms. A bit old, but that's a mythical eastern asian isekai.

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are other types of settings for isekai novels, but the old DragonQuest-esque world is the standard because writers are lazy so they don't want to develop their own settings. This is one of the reasons why the worldbuilding in these stories tends to be awful - the writers don't put any effort into it so why should it be any good? There are exceptions out there, and they stand out precisely because the writer decided to give a damn.

mir and baka8roukanako like this.
  20. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Its popular and easy to write cause there so much material in existence already to use as references.

Honestly, it depends on how the writer crafts the story and tropes to fit into the world that makes it better.

If the writer gonna craft a brand new spanking world like how Harry Potter is the web novel might as well be a book from the get go lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.