Discussion Why do people read pretty BL?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Oct 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    The one's in manga? they just look like butch women. Take ruby rose for example. If she was flat chested, should could totally pass as one of the pretty boys in the manga's you read.

2. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Futanari Onee-sans X Shota Traps :hmm:

Would you consider such pairing as BL? or GL? :blobpeek:

3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    *thinks you are crazy* *realizes you won’t change your mind* *decides to stop arguing with you* I’m guessing you made this thread because you were just espousing your belief and not because you actually wanted to learn other people’s opinions.

Japorea, fuyuuri and otaku31 like this.
  4. Madoqua

Madoqua Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love bl. I cringe when the MC suddenly gets:
    1. So embarrassed, stutters, flutters eye lashes. Oh my he stares at me *giggles* where do I look *shy shy*
    2. Gets completely dependent on their lover. (Please wipe my ass too because I can't do anything teehee:sick:)((MC was a excellent employee or self made anything but this workflow suddenly disappeared at the sight of a ml))
    3. Got Stockholm syndrome and doesn't think their ml is pushy, rapey, mentally disabled. Seriously even if you feel embarrassed because you're a guy and gets raped you just don't feel the need to report to the police?!?
    4. His ass filled with cumcumber and he is not prepared and it's his first time. Also the ml cumcumber is supposed to be the size of a horse vegetable. How does this work? Sexy trip to the hospital you two.:aww::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood:

LilyoftheValley, mir and Anra7777 like this.
  5. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes yes. Those delusional fans that watched the boyband on air and be like OMG A STARED 3 SECONDS TOO LONG AT B. THEY MUST VE HAD SEX THIS MORNING HENCE THE PASSIONATE SEX GAZE.

Sabruness likes this.
  6. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    Men that act and look so much like women might as well be women lol, how can that be BL? It's flat chested yuri in disguise..with penises.

Sabruness likes this.
  7. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk maybe it feels like their relationship feels a bit more rougher? Like boys suppposed to be the one dominant right? So when boys meet boys ahhhhh their personality clash it's just so hot

8. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of a novel that I once read. The mc got a super handsome system and got a skill that made him look like a girl. His hair grew super long and everything. His mom didn’t even believe it was her son. She let him live in the house because she wanted him to marry himself.

9. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I have similiar though as OP, I rarely read BL, but once I pick one out of curiosity what I think is it's basically same as most romance story but with 2 or more stick...

10. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's sort of why men don't mind watching lesbians in action.

In our fantasy, the girls would straighten out once they've come to know our xdckx love, and have a threesome.

Wed never try it in reality though because we know we'd have our dck hanging while watching the girls banging...

11. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    have to throw my rant in.
    most BL feminizes half of a pair and it's one of my pet peeves; if I wanted a shoujo heroine I'd read a romance with one. I've known several beautiful men IRL, (one of them is only two inches taller than my 5'3" and way prettier than any girl I've ever met) and their behavior is in no way the shrinking-violet-please-save-me-I'm-too-weak-and-helpless-and-stupid-to-survive-on-my-own type. the gay guys I know, like my cousin, find that kind of MC very offensive. for some reason though, a lot of female readers find that kind of helpless child mc to be cute and fluffy.

me, I don't even like it when women are portrayed that way, let alone men, which is why I don't read much b-g romance on this site. give me a story with equal partners and an MC with a normal IQ and ability to turn around and save the ML once in a while and I'm much happier and more inclined to rate the story higher.

Just an FYI: guys can be cute/adorable without having to resort to that feminized template; remember Honey Sempai from O High School Host Club? cute AND an OP badass. I might have some issues with the dense MC and idiot ML in the manga/anime, but the side characters were awesome.

Japorea, Kaylee, Anra7777 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Masculinity and femininity is a stereotype anyway. Point is :
    1. They are pretty and pleasing to the eyes
    2. They are men

That said, I don't mind reading yuri either. But just looks can't replace one for the other.

Moonpearl and Anra7777 like this.
  13. fuyuuri

fuyuuri 『 冬瓜 』『 ☀ and ☾ 』『 hibiscus 茶 tea 』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think OP has a bit of a huge misunderstanding of what many women consider attractive.

More “masculine” =/= more attractive.

You could make a poll for women asking if they think the Incredible Hulk with his enormous muscles is attractive — and I think a majority would generally say no.

Appearance does matter, but that’s because appearance says something about a person’s personality.

For me, how I imagine or perceive a guy’s personality is a critical component of whether I “like” them. If I get the impression that they have an ugly personality, then it’s almost impossible for me to feel attracted to them.

Incidentally, many “masculine” tropes for me are associated with horrible personality stereotypes:
    • Dumb football jock
    • Frat boy always watching TV with beer
    • Gangsta bro bro
    • Gun/tank fanatic who makes his house into a survival bunker
    • Etc.

In short, I would just simply say that there are plenty of elements of stereotypically masculine culture that I just find plainly unattractive — and guys that subvert that are really interesting and significantly more attractive to me.

Also, I’m really tired with the homosexual insecurity/homophobia. I never understood the “no homo” culture and why guys are obsessed with not seeming gay — because tbh to me guys obsessed over that just seem insecure to me.

I really appreciate a guy who can rock dishwashing, flowers, and wearing pink without freaking out “omg does this mean I’m gay?!?!?!” — because frankly some of the guys I’ve liked the most are extremely comfortable/relaxed/solid about their male gender, but don’t bat an eye at occasionally doing more feminine things.

14. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    While i dont doubt that some guys have that delusion (the 'my dick can straighten out lesbians' schtick), i would disagree that it's a major thing for guys in general. I guess it would come down to whether or not guy avoid self-insert delusions when watching lesbians.

15. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    I could be described as being a lesser version of one of those stereotypes (the gun/tank fanatic) but i can cook, do dishes and i see no problem with pink.

Stereotypes do exist in some people but i feel like you kinda underminded your own point by making judgements about guys while you were making judgements about how some guys make judgements. :hmm::blob_coffee:

mir, krrizis, justmehere and 3 others like this.
  16. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    No.
    Same
    Same.
    Ikr
    Yeaahhh!!!

A beautiful guy like this with a soft character, which isn't flirty with every woman to flaunt his pretty boy looks is totally my type. Rather than a guy who thinks behaving ruggedly, treating girls impolitely, hitting others and calling other men who break their stereotypical idea of "masculinity" as "gay" or "girl without boobs with a dick"

Especially the last condition.

Moonpearl, mir, Sabruness and 2 others like this.
  17. fuyuuri

fuyuuri 『 冬瓜 』『 ☀ and ☾ 』『 hibiscus 茶 tea 』

Reading List:
    Link
    XD I don’t think I ever said I wasn’t making judgements, though?

Human beings are somewhat judgmental by nature — and part of the point of my post was that appearances matter because people develop judgements and first impressions based on them.

Like yeah — I won’t deny that my head would be spinning with thoughts if I found out the person I’m having a coffee date with is the quarterback for the college (American) football team — it’s sort of inevitable to have thoughts when presented with information.

And it’s absolutely true that first impressions can often be wrong, and we should try our best to keep open minds about other people. And often times we can grow as people as a result of that.

That said, idk why it is, but for some reason I get the impression that most girls I talk to have a longer list of “requirements” for a SO — whereas for guys the response I often hear is that they seem to be okay with anybody.

Like, realistically speaking I have a “No” list too: I wouldn’t date somebody who smokes, drinks too much, etc, etc, etc....

Yet technically all of those instant “no’s” are still all judgements.

Moonpearl, mir, Sabruness and 2 others like this.
  18. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont think it's that guys have no "requirements". Any guy who says that is either lying or he'll do anything with the requisite parts because he's a perpetually horny idiot. I have a general 'no' list as well.

I do have to agree on the perception that girls' lists of "requirements" are generally longer than guys. I dont know if it's realistically true but there's probably a decent chance that, on average, it is. That's just my opinion though.

otaku31 likes this.
  19. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it probably also changes depending where you are in your life. I mean, as a kid, I was all “he has to be like this, and this, and this,” but as an adult, my list was more similar to fuyuuri’s.

mir, Nyann and Sabruness like this.
  20. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    YES!!! i also a bit dislike that !!! also character that cries a lot, FGS you are a man!!! why so many water works!!!!

the character that drawn too feminine that could pass as women 8/10 irked me...it makes me feel itchy at some point tbh. it's a yaoi !!! why draw a woman-like character?!??!?!!
    i feel like they kinda ridicule yaoi with the woman-like appearance