Recommendations I'm looking for a western fantasy book that is recommended by eastern novels readers

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by matanyaman, Oct 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. matanyaman

matanyaman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! Ever since I started to read the novels in NU I became addicted to the convenience, tags that help me chose, and the higher frequency of favorable plot development. But lately, I started to miss some of the aspects of reading a properly written and edited book that a lot of time catch your attention the moment you read the first paragraph so I decided to try and read again a western book that is made from paper, and in addition, I also take this as a chance to gain new inspiration to my novel.

I already read Rick Riordan books, Harry Potter and Aragon. But (maybe except for the latter) I wouldn't want them recommended even if I didn't read them because they are too immature for me and don't answer my following rules for what I am looking for:

-The book has to be for mature people: I don't want an early/mid-teens story that every kid in middle school can read without worrying about inappropriate content. I want a story where there is a content that is more appropriate for people in their twenties with even 15/18+ scenes that happen in the book more than once but not being the main part(I want to read fantasy, not erotica or psychotic gore).

-Male Mc only: Not some cliche story that is mainly about a girl with a mysterious past that wants to find out about herself.

-Fulfilling and mature romance: Not puppy love like Rick Riordan books or an unsatisfying relationship like in Aragon.

-(Most important!!)Grow Stronger or OP Mc: I want a superhuman protagonist(and not being the only one who is like that) that can fight against the big monsters head-on and not have to rely on stupid tricks or luck to save himself because even with magic he can't really hurt them directly. western books severely lack in that area and a lot of times even do the opposite and bring someone that can't even swing a sword! this was one of the main reasons I started to only read and watch eastern novels and anime.

That's all for now. Thanks ahead and sorry for my bad English.

2. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i was gonna recommend you "Dune", but it would probably not fit your last requirement.

3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Death Gate Cycle series
    The Wheel Of Time series
    The Belgariad/ Malloreon series

4. Lynx

Lynx Professional...on lewd matter

Reading List:
    Link
    Wheel of time series, if you're looking for great story

5. kerricthebig

kerricthebig Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. Also add
    The Ririya Revelations
    Night Angel

6. goldmark25

goldmark25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wheel of Time Series
    Red Rising Series

7. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1st Deathstalker trilogy by Roland Green, sci-fi fantasy though

8. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest Larry Correia.

- The Grimnoir Chronicles series - WW2 period setting where many people had awakened a magic skill/power. (3 books, and I see there seems to be a spin off series now)

- Monster Hunter International - modern setting, MC joins a mercenary group (consisting of mostly normal people with guns) who hunt monsters which really exist even though the general populous aren't aware of them. (main series has 7 books and several spin off books)

9. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    wanted to recommend Mistborn trilogy but its female MC, really good though. Try Runelord series by David Farland for unique powerup system. A Song of Ice and Fire series if you never watched the show.

Also I think the last point of your post is there cos you used to read YA novels (novels targetted for young adults - i.e. teens), they tend to be less violent and more shonen-ish (friendship power best power), but sometimes also cos it makes for a better story (underdog beating the most powerful without being the most powerful).

10. matanyaman

matanyaman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is something that I find plain stupid as it gives me a feeling that it was mostly luck who did the job.

Just see almost any web novel here, how often was it satisfying to see a powerless mob win against a mighty mage or a dragon?