Discussion When harem became annoying

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lovina, Oct 31, 2019.

?

What can make a harem became annoying or make you drop or avoid it

1. I root for a girl that mc whouldn't end up with

22 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Cliché (plot or character )

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I loath the character

40 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Too previsible

20 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Too sex no plot

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  6. Too much member

37 vote(s)
    39.4%
  7. I read spoiler and hated it

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  8. Rape , abuse

47 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Polyandry

26 vote(s)
    27.7%
  10. How did it became like that ?

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  11. Too many mysunderstood

13 vote(s)
    13.8%
  12. I don't found it annoying

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  13. I just don't like harem

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  14. Fan service !

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it's just basically the same manga with the same plot but under another name like urusai yastura or to love ru. When you know too easily with who is gonna end like if mc like a girl before the story debut or if a girl is a childhood friend it's over (only ichigo 100 % ending surprised me ) for win a boy in majority of harem you should be a new girl or a tsundere. When mc are too generic like for a harem protagonist he should be "normal" , indecive, pervert, shy and kind because girl fall only because he is nice in a dumb way like she tryed to kill or more he risk his life for her = love , when mc is too damn oblivious and clueless in too many episode seriously they can't be more evident and he is like i glad that you want to be friend with me , when i watched or read it to the end for that he end up with nobbody or that youre not sure that he really end up with the girl (negima), when the girls have breats too damn big that this have the height of their head and made me have a complex, when he have more chemistry with a boy that with a girl in the harem, when the harem member are just composed children or girl that is raised (shield hero) , When male lead , female lead or mc are scum or hypocrite , When this became too wtf out of nowhere , when new one keep to came, when male lead (or mc, female lead) can't take no as an answer. It's what can annoy me in a novel and you ?

2. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    When the mc is a dumb dense idiot iswhen harem becomes annoying desu

Chrono Vlad, kenar, Capsize and 4 others like this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not a big fan of harem, but what makes me drop it is.

Off the top of my head:

1) When the MC is giving out marriage proposals like Operah giving out free cars.

2) When a harem character is introduced that I really hate.

3) When MC brainwashes a character, adds them to their harem and says its for their own good.

4. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the third never seen it anywere but not surprised . Harem mc's can act like a saint or dumbledore but be hypocrite.

5. kamikazedrew

kamikazedrew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I just say the harem genre in general is a bad idea and has never panned out in my opinion.

6. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Political Harems>Warlord Harem> Those fucking japanese harem that I don't understand why it became a norm but I still love to read

ok, so things that makes me drop (harem)
    the not so fun repetitive writing style
    inconsistency
    stupidity (unless it's fun)
    self insert
    drama
    serious writing but fails miserably
    just to glorify how manly the MC is

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  7. Ethan700

Ethan700 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When they don't have a good reason to like the MC. (ex: when MC saves a girl and this girl instantly loves the MC)

kenar, Capsize, kkgoh and 2 others like this.
  8. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah the mc was nice to me so he is the one trope like girl seriously if you love him just because he was nice so what do you not fall in not love with every guy nice to you ?

9. Ethan700

Ethan700 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I hate is also because it makes the women's thoughts shallow.
    I mean, come on I know that he saved you but why do they suddenly fall in love with such a cliche plot device?
    And I especially hate it when it's out of character. (Like the author describe a girl as a very cold and pragmatic but when she meets the MC... it's like her brain turns off) :facepalm:

Fuyuneko and Lovina like this.
  10. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing with slave harems is that they try to portray the mc as the only person that would treat slaves nicely, and the girls should feel greatful to have an mc that feeds, and doesnt rape, them, while also putting the mc in "control" of them so they cant leave his depressed ass at the first chance.

I think the biggest things for me are when the characters are pure cliches off a check list, extremely forced "coincidences" that happen at every step, or the mc is just grabbing a new flavor of the day (as if the author is literally writing in whichever female he saw earlier that day and started fantasizing about. It just feels creepy after awhile...)

Fuyuneko, kenar, Capsize and 4 others like this.
  11. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 for the Political Harems>Warlord Harem!

now about the post, i do not see harem as bad plot nor bad writing like most people like to argue about but i do agree that there is a lot of bad or worse writing that involves harems in today's light novel community but going on, harem for me is not a reason to not read or to drop something, after all in our own society and history there is harems, not trying to offend anyone but for a long time a powerful man or woman having more than one man/woman was normal and some may go beyond it to say that was their right to have, since for a long time being able to provide was a enough of reason reason to allow it, so i'm fine with it, at least this is not a reason to dislike or not read a novel like a few people out there!.
    but answering the post of when harem becomes annoying(for me):

1: when the author writes harem for the sake of a harem; this is the crux and happens a lot of today time and as someone who read cn jp and kr novels i bet you guy's gonna agree that this is what mostly happen in JP novels todays, where the author writes a harem just for the sake of harem, why can not it be just a fix? or some cheating own their main heroines? there is no reason to make the girls follow the guy's like he is the only one with a D out there!

2:inconsistency in the story; there is a lot of inconsistency harem out there, mainly when the mc that already have a few harems members or girlfriend like the fated childhood friend and save/interact/get the attention of someone important or with "pedigree" and she immediately resolves to follow his D forever and ever, if she is a princess/prince she does not think about her kingdom: to ressume she or he does not think the consequence that following the mc can have, even more when he already have others harem members but i would like to say that there is also a fine line between inconsistency harem and political harem , at least in my opinion, to make it clear> following the MC D when he is super OP mc that can fuck up entire kingdoms or countries or is simple a GOD i would call it a quasi political harem and let it pass, simple because having the the fmc following the mc can give benefits to the kingdom-country be it with his influence or simple power level or tech, even if the author is dumb enough to never mention it or explore this in his novel and this is why is quasi-political harem since once the author uses the mc influence to modify for better or worse the fmc background setting it becomes a political harem but i still give a pass to the quasi-political harems as well but then again do not misunderstand me, what i'm saying here with inconsistency harem is for example: when the mc is just a little more "special" than the rest and can not offer tangible benefits to the people behind the stalker, so is super "inconsistency" for her to become a stalker like that out of nowhere and simple go along with it!

i think i already wrote a lot, i wanted to put a number 3 there but is already bigger enough, to end i just would like to talk a little more about the famous saving the girl harem or the slave type harem that i have seen people mentioning multiple times in the thread before i started to write my answer and this goes back a little to my 2 motive as well but in the slave-saving girl types of harem there a very big physiological factor behind them and is not strange for love or better yet attraction to bloom in those situation the captive and the captor in the slave's case and the savior and the rescuer and there is nothing wrong for the girl or boy in that situation to be attracted to their savior the real problem comes after that, once all the situation have been stabilized and when she or he insist on it without taking in consideration any "normal" human behavior.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Lovina likes this.
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get annoyed at harems, per se. I get annoyed at that entire subgenre of JP light/web novels that want to have a "dense" protagonist surrounded by a harem of girls, fill ten volumes with romcom that has no actual relationship progression. Fuck those guys. Especially the ones that take it a step further and shove the characters into the most ecchi-borderline-hentai-no-wait-this-is-actually-hentai-right(?) moments they can imagine, over and over and over again. What the hell are they even doing.

Stop that shit right now. Let these people have a real relationship already, ffs.

frostcrystal, Gin_Hindew and Lovina like this.
  13. Heartless

Heartless May your heart be your guiding key

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I don't hate the tag. I do however, just drop all stories where either all the girls flock to the mc without any substantial reason (mostly in the jp stories) or when they basically are 2d cardboard cutouts with no redeeming nor memorable trait (mostly from the cn stories). The tag itself is alright, it's just that a whole lot of crappy novels also happen to have this tag.

Lovina likes this.
  14. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i read or watch harem i quoted many though shield hero doesn't interest just quoted it because it's popular or look forward to see harem anime doesn't released yet bakarina novel's adaptation and koi to producer. My problem is that this doesn't surprise me anymore. It's always the same type of mc, of character, or plot and yeah harem for the sake of harem and political harem finish as more political than romance with transmigration story : the dreamer of the spring boudoir and too much drama, the useless drama and râpé can be very annoying too.

15. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i'm like that too when you are bored this can be fun. But the too many use of cliche and generic mc can start to annoy me.

16. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah it's like in a harem you can't have a self aware mc unless oregairu (don't know if it's a harem or love triangle) or konosuba . It's like the girls can wear underwear sneak to his room with boobs stuck to him and he is like you're cold ? Like ishika from infinite stratos or bakarina .

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Westeller likes this.
  17. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad example, that's called suspension bride effect and scientificly proven to be exist

Lovina likes this.
  18. NamGi

NamGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, all harem are shit.

19. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it's obviously just flimsy wish fulfillment. Which is... every harem story I ever read thus far.

I guess slave harems are the most obvious example. The world's a vast place and history has kinda lasted for a while, so I bet there's been countless relationships like that in real life history that worked well enough to be fascinating stories. I'm not anti the idea itself but I've never seen it carried out properly. It's a very heavy subject and the characters should have to deal with the heaviness of it, work out the issues and (more often than not in stories like those) the trauma. But the rule of thumb seem to be that the girl falls in love with the first guy who buys her and doesn't abuse her, and everything else is glossed over. No eventually waking up from the initial relief of not ending up worse, no questioning the fact that he could literally ditch her by the roadside or worse if they ever had a fight and their relationship soured, no mention of ownership being transferred to someone else in the case of the masters accidental death, and they're just... indefinitely ok with it. Like, give them some self preservation. Please. They can still be loyal to the mc, just give them basic self preservation.

20. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When... you ask?

Well... as I have yet to see not-a-shit harem, I have to say immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.