[Poll] Would you rather be gay or poor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 4, 2019.

Tags:
?

What income would your parents have to earn to entice you to be born homosexual?

1. I’m male - Never, I choose heterosexual birth with a single mom 50% under the poverty line

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 50% below poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 2X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 5X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 10X above poverty line

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 100X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 1000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 10,000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 100,000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 1,000,000X above poverty line

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  12. I’m female - Never, I choose heterosexual birth with a single mom 50% under the poverty line

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  13. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 50% below poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 2X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  16. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 5X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  17. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 10X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 100X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  19. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 1000X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  20. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 10,000X above poverty line

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  21. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 100,000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 1,000,000X above poverty line

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  23. I am currently homosexual, so this poll does not apply to me

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  24. I’m unsure

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  25. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. NoTofu

NoTofu [Lord Third's less meaty Cousin] [Tofu Jelly]

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks at the millions of abandoned children...uh sure buddy

2. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I’m actually really happy that you spoke up/called out about it — IMO, it’s really important to add as many perspectives into the narrative as possible — and avoid runaway dominant narratives.

I realize it’s a very ugly subject, but maybe this is me being selfish — but sometimes I think things need to be talked about in order for the hurt to be processed. Otherwise it is extremely easy to remain isolated in our bubbles, trying to pretend our surrounding environment is something that we hope it to be.

orematcha likes this.
  3. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Id rather not know how my crysanthemum being popped feels like, even if the gspot for guys is in their anus as myself right now.

As a reincarnation with a different mentality, up to that version.

4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh. Not sure, to be honest. If I was reincarnated, memories intact, and just discovered as I lived this new life that my interests had changed, I'd be cool with that. I wouldn't even ascribe it to some intentional interference. Just life. ... Asking me how much I'd want in exchange for having my sexuality intentionally adjusted, though? That's... weird. If that's the question, the fluff is really irrelevant. Forget truck-kun completely, you could just ask it about my current life... and I'm not sure how to answer that.

Hmm... My interests are part of what make me, well, me. Whether that's sexuality or ... Novels. Like, if you asked me how much money it'd cost to completely strip away my interest in novels, in reading, I think I'd have to just say no. I've been reading pretty much my entire life. It's my single greatest interest, and occupies more of my time and energy than any other pursuit in my life. Asking me to give up books... impossible. No matter what you offered, I'm not willing to simply stop being me.

... Now, with that said, I actually rank my sexuality a bit lower than that. I feel like it's less intrinsic to who I am than my interest in reading. ... Is that weird?... Anyway, I kind of feel like it's negotiable. But to change a large part of who I am... I don't think I can casually put a price tag on that. Money is largely intangible anyway. I'd prefer a barter transaction.

For example, guaranteeing my transmigration after death in exchange? Sure. Change me right now. ... But just for some cash? Nah.

5. Anonymousbb

Anonymousbb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't even need the 500 years in the future. The only reason I'm not gay is because I'm not attracted to men, not because I dislike it or anything. If I were gay that would be irrelevant as I would be attracted to men, so I'd take anything that had me in a better position than I currently am.

Growing up gay would probably result in different perspectives than I have now, but currently I don't see my sexuality as a large part of my personality (as in, while it's obviously a core part of me, I don't believe it affects my overall personality that much), so it's whatever for me.

lychee and Anra7777 like this.
  6. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    When @Westeller put it that way.. i feel a bit of regret from chosing my answer..
    Doesnt change my answer tho cause i basically have no comment on homosexuality.. so for me the topic is about being reincarnated poor or being reincarnated rich

lychee and Anra7777 like this.
  7. Wayang Emperor The First

Wayang Emperor The First 《The First Loli》《Cute Little Kid♡》

Reading List:
    Link
    If i reborn as a girl.. yeah i love to married to a rich girl, like hell yeah!

8. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Mhm, this is a really good response. Thanks, West-kun!

I think this is inherently the trouble of the “everything has a price” maxim, which is the basis for the monetary conversion polls.

I actually also originally thought about focusing the poll topic on genderbender — as in, what is the price people are willing to pay in order NOT to be genderbent.

It’d odd, because I think people assign different value to different parts of themselves and their identities — and are more or less willing to part with certain aspects of their identity.

Which, as you bring up, is convoluted even further by the fact that our identities are constantly changing anyways, whether we intend it to be the case or not.

For example, when I was younger, I played a lot of console games with my little brother. I liked them a lot back them. However, as I grew older, I simply became disinterested in games naturally.

Can I assign a price onto having an interest in gaming?

For me — probably. I think I’m old enough to appreciate the value of money, and I think there’s a certain degree of naivity to cling unrealistically to an old interest like going sledding with your middle school friends.

I think we are a bit different here, but I would sell a current interest of mine. Similarly speaking, I’m not so attached to my sexuality either.

Anra7777 and Westeller like this.
  9. Taurus3301

Taurus3301 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say that an interesting pool would be if the rebirth was 500 years in the past, then instead of just debating about a person's personal preference about being gay or not, now the effect of the past culture needs to be taken into account. It would be much more interesting and thought provoking.

10. Dolidza

Dolidza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No need to choose cause im already gay and piss poor.

GDLiZy, BigBadBoi and Westeller like this.
  11. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm poor it doesn't matter because i'll probably become a male prostitute or something

12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    So the poverty line in the US is 12k annually for an individual or 24k annual for a family of four.

...I don’t really want to imagine what it is like to live off of 50% of that number...

So my on personal answer would probably be something like 5X poverty line, which would take me close to what my parent’s economic level was.

I think I would probably even do 2X poverty line or 1X poverty line of pressed, because running an entire family off of $6-12k USD a year already sounds really really frighteningly hard.

So yeah, I would definitely avoid the poverty in my own response. My gender/sexuality is not worth more than that, at least in my own personal opinion.

13. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a small problem with the poll... What if you're neither gay nor straight to begin with?

lychee and Arcturus like this.
  14. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the thing about your poll though. I'm very much bi and I'm very happy to be bi (or poly to be more specific). Why would I want to limit myself to only one set of genders like you have listed? Can I pick neither please?

I don't think your poll does a really good job of really addressing homophobia because people like their own sexuality. Not wanting to be different doesn't mean you fear the different (Though I still hold that people will always fear the other to some degree regardless of what they purport to believe and feel).

Westeller, lychee and Moonpearl like this.
  15. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    This doesn't make sense. You can't choose to be left-handed or to be homosexual. These are the things you are born that way, and you can't change it.

16. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but they are not extinct, this thread isn't about family bonds and relations :blobsweat_2:

17. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Mhm, this actually describes me best too — although I chose to intentionally omit it for simplicity, in the sense that it’s easy to reach the “Can I just be bi” conclusion.

The poll lacked a few controls. It would have been nice to do an Ace poll as a control, as well as “give up an an interest” poll as a control as well.
    I think you are right here. Homophobia isn’t the right term, but rather flexibility in general.

Although it is also difficult to dig up to what extent statements like “I’d rather be dead than gay” — is some degree of subconscious homophobia. (EDIT: I think the “would you rather be poor or ace” would probably be the best control for this)

I also think some respondents aren’t thinking very carefully or appreciating what it means to be that far below the poverty line, so the responses are also weighted heavily to people’s gut responses.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Moonpearl likes this.
  18. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    1. At what income would you choose to be born homosexual, if any?
    Null, never choose to modify my soul and will in exchange for money, especially when the alternative is the opportunity to build myself up from zero in a parallel world.

2. Do you think you would be a different person in a significant way if you were born homosexual? If yes, in what ways?
    Yes, I'd be gay.

3. For people who have strong aversions towards homosexuality, why do you think this is the case?
    Potentially religious reasons, otherwise there's always the feeling that women can get simply by being around a bunch of straight men, except as a man you aren't particularly used to that feeling of danger.

19. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    I would strongly say that it's more toward what you experience (situation,parents,friend,etc) in your life that made you that way

20. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a little confusing whether I should be answering this or not. I picked the "doesn't apply to me - already gay" option, although it technically isn't true.

lychee likes this.