Recommendations Similar to Tower of Karma or The Dark King

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by imlookingfor28929, Nov 5, 2019.

1. imlookingfor28929

imlookingfor28929 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am looking for something like Tower of Karma
    or The Dark King. (Spoilers below)

I enjoyed these 2 stories very much, especially the first 35% of them. I dropped The Dark King after the prison arc ended and Tower of Karma after the assasin guild one ended.

I would've loved if in The Dark King the guy went outside the walls after escaping from prison and lived there becoming insanely op and taking revenge on everyone. Exploring the world, fighting and evolving. It was such an amazing opportunity and the author went for the traditional chinese family clan and refinement pills crap. When he woke up with the dead wolf and the powerup I lost my shit I was so hyped and it was so so awesome.

For Tower of Karma, it would've been nice if it went more into the mc's life, maybe even more world building and exploring instead of introducing useless boring characters and fucking everything up and boring me to death with random military stuff. No need to explain that, it's not fun and it's forced. Felt like filler.

Why I liked Tower of Karma:
    I liked the mc being something new. Crazy and selfish. I liked his determination. I liked seeing how he solved his problems and rose up the ladder. I liked seeing him train and eat disgusting food in order to improve. I liked his manipulation and intelligence. I liked his insane mind and monster like ruthlessness and desire to devour the world. I liked some of the fight scenes...etc

Why I liked The Dark King:
    The mystery and monsters of the outside world, the powerups and superpowers, the hunter system and society, the training and surviving, the self improvement of the mc and the new world he lived in. I loved the betrayal of the girlfriend and I wish they author would've done better and really made her suffer and have mc reject her after she realizes her mistake or maybe even choose him over others. Anything but what he did. The way he rose form a poor orphan to a rich hunter...The fight scenes and cool strategies + badass moments of the mc....etc

Seriously, why do all good stories start well and then the author loses half their brain. I hope that this can give you a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Basically: A male mc that goes through a lot of self improvement and becomes strong. Preferrably in an interesting world with new original environments and ideas. No stupid cliches or overused things. (Like always needing a new random powerup to win a fight)...

Am I asking for too much? Are there any books like this from other websites maybe? Anyone else liked these two stories and has the same taste as me?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  2. Silv3r2117

Silv3r2117 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Second Coming of Gluttony?

MC was literally the worst person possible but then has a rebirth with only memories from a dream and becomes pretty badass. Pretty good if you haven’t read it and WuxiaWorld just picked it up.

3. imlookingfor28929

imlookingfor28929 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I appreciate your recommendation. I did read it long ago but dropped it after a little while because it had nothing special. It was long ago so I'm not sure what I didn't like but I didn't like it. Not on the level of the two I talked about imo.

4. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial Arts Master
    It has everything you asked for except the interesting world part, the story’s set in a normal modern earth, except martial artists are super OP and it’s a global thing that’s known worldwide so no secret underground family clans or whatnot . Anyway, the story has a slow start (and that’s understandable, the authors laying down the foundation to the story) but if you can make it to 50 chapters then you should already be hooked.

Also +1 to The Second Coming of Gluttony

5. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Orba from Rakuin no Monshou and Leo from Tales of Leo Attiel, both of them make good strategy from information they gathered, march toward battles with their cavalry. They gain insight and creativity how to use their advantage in battle, like lure enemy toward their own fotress and then bormbarded it with explosion and artillery from airship or manipulate and killing an ally leader to have greater influence and gain additional soldiers. From lowborn slave and dissapointed prince to become capable and influence leader.

Mother of Learning, this story is about self improvement, the world itself force MC and his friend to be strong and capable. At the latest chapters you can see their improvement from a whiny teenager and a joker incapable teenager mages in training to become mature archmages.

imlookingfor28929 likes this.
  6. imlookingfor28929

imlookingfor28929 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They look interesting and have some good reviews, I'll have a look, thanks.
    (I have read mother of learning already, tbh it wasn't great in my opinion, just fine)

Still open to more recommendations