Discussion Immortality + Something

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Nov 6, 2019.

?

Do you want to be immortal?

1. Yup

31.4%
  2. Nope

13.7%
  3. Hell yeah!

31.4%
  4. Not at all

15.7%
  5. Could I please have a way to end it anytime I want?

64.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I never wanted to be immortal because of one reason: it's boring.
    Yeah, at first it might be interesting. You could walk into a military base and wreck havoc while remaining unscathed. You could also read as much as you want which would be heaven for most of us. Explore the world, make money, witness history. This and that. This and that. But I don't see how it won't be boring after some time. Even now, with my short mundane life, I feel an almost perpetual boredom. Might be the mindset but meh.

So what do you think could make immortality a little more interesting?

lychee, nuubman, TokioftheBel and 8 others like this.
  2. 911

911 [Officer][Official Police][Tag me when needed]

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortality doesn't mean that the person is unbeatable, or unkillable.
    Just let he had a long life, survive wars. Falling in love, having family...
    Take a dark turn when watching them all lost in time. And make he had a connection again, and loss his life defending it
    Nyeh

3. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortal with invincibility or not? Immortal is living long isn't it?

4. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    With invincibility.

nuubman likes this.
  5. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortality is why a mother-in-law is dangerous!

nuubman, susanty.smile and Fulminata like this.
  6. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Never understand the stupid boredom thing about immortality. I think it more so the potential of what you can do is so endless your brain stop working because you don't wish to look past your current reality

TokioftheBel likes this.
  7. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Research. I would get my PhD and dedicate my immortality to researching the laws of reality to its pinnacle, becoming the Supreme Dao Master and ruling the Multiverse!

8. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Through machinery?

And then your immortality discovered by someone. You would be operated, researched, and manipulated?

9. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a great misconception that immortality is somehow flawed because it would be boring. The truth of the matter is that this is exactly not the case. Saying immortality is boring is like saying mortality is boring.

There's no magic hidden nobility in mortality. This cultural paradigm comes from the bible and is a cancerous flaw of thought that still lingers in pop culture today.

Being immortal has no downsides (assuming realistic immortality, where age is no longer a death sentence). Why? Because life isn't about ultimate experiences. There is no moment where "this is it, this is the best dessert I've ever had. Everything after this is going to be worse." There is no moment where "This is it. This dog I had and loved and just passed away. That's all there is to it. No pet will ever satisfy me the same way." There is no time where "This step. Right now. While I'm in the middle of walking home from the bus stop. This was the perfect step with my right foot. No other step will equal its majesty."

The idea that somehow there is "beauty in a limited lifespan" is rubbish. You think the 37th time you pet a cat to make it purr, the cat thinks "nah, this is good but it's no 18th time." No, it's nonsense to think that way.

Other common flawed arguments for the "benefits of mortality" are "what about memory? Won't you eventually learn everything and be bored with it all?" No, because memory is imperfect. Why is it suddenly a bad thing if after 3000 years you no longer remember advanced biochem for planting the perfect garden? That just means you get to rediscover it all over again. That sounds pretty badass to me.

Modern humans have already changed how our working memory works anyways. Most people don't know the phone numbers of their contacts, but they remember who their contacts are. The memory is still there, the context is different.

Immortality in real life, the idea that we will no longer degrade with age to death, is awesome and amusingly (if for the wrong reasons) the Ancient Chinese were exactly on the right track. Being immortal, were it possible through means other than advanced medical science, would be the #1 objective of all humans on earth. To the point that you'd have to be in some weird bizzaro suicide cult to think "no way, I want to die."

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    immortality is not boring~ actually it draining mental~
    how many people who dear to you will die before you? how many sad thing you will experience? tbh it exactly because of there more sadness on immortality that make immortal tend to close emotion~

11. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Poll does not have a option for those already immortal

AMissingLinguist and Arash1 like this.
  12. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    I would actually try to achieve Immortality and become someone you would call an Overseer or Bookman that store every information out there during every era.

I become some kind of walking library with every knowledge that every MC or important figure try to sought.

I would watch every war and every dynamic happened, but I would never directly participating unless it is something that can annihilate the whole multiverse~

Arash1 likes this.
  13. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a misconception brought about by time and people just referring to things lazily which I am going to start a campaign to fix! Immortals are unkillable in anyway. An immortal can be diced into little tiny bits and have those bits separated by kilometres they won't die. There is no way to truly kill an immortal. Those beings which do not age are timeless or ageless as in time/age have no effect upon them. An immortal being has this and more on top besides.

14. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    But immortals can be put into a state where they cannot be active. Ironically that's a fate worse than death.

Arash1 likes this.
  15. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep exactly. An Immortal is Cronos not Deadpool after all!

16. thekingofgamez

thekingofgamez [He who makes others cough up blood in anger!]

Reading List:
    Link
    are you talking about being an immortal cultivator or an immortal in the vein of like a vampire etc I wouldn't mind being an immortal because of the fact I would like to enjoy learning new things. I think being an immortal cultivator would be rough because of all the time spend cultivating its like 70 percent of it is meditation gathering essence 25 percent running from other cultivators and killing and the other 5 is living. Lots of people say that having a long life would be sad but i think it's proportional to the happiness that you would receive. Look at how much the world has changed in the last 100 years wouldnt it be cool to see how the world changes every century

17. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a classic example: Prometheus - Chained to a rock that he cannot escape from and have his insides eaten out by birds.
    I also have some others that come from the top of my head usually involves trapping them somewhere forever like being trapped in extreme gravity, buried in concrete, trapped in the bottom of the ocean - we've never been to the complete bottom of the ocean like the Mariana's trench; the pressure there should be extreme, trap them into a vacuum, and/or put them in a pit that puts them into an inactive state - the Ajin example, etc.

AMissingLinguist, Arash1 and otaku31 like this.
  18. thekingofgamez

thekingofgamez [He who makes others cough up blood in anger!]

Reading List:
    Link
    the manga UQ holder has different Immortals in it so if you want to see different types of immortals you can always look at that.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  19. Tsukkin

Tsukkin [is currently lurking]

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortality is fun if you have an immortal lover/partner, anyway it's boring if you spend it alone

20. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with this is how would Immortality work with one's cells. We as a race are made up of cells which reproduce, multiply, and die. Same thing goes for our brain I suppose since they're cells as well. And if one is damaged, one's cells would reproduce and multiply quickly in order to fill in the gap or even recreate the body part akin to stem cells theory as you're immortal. The question would be, would immortality stop the death of your cells? If so, then I'm sure you would be able to retain a perfect memory.

AMissingLinguist likes this.