[Poll] Would you be bothered by having a misgendered name?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 6, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much would you be willing to spend to change your name?

1. 1000X annual minimum wage

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. 100X annual minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. 50X annual minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 30X annual minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 20X annual minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 10X annual minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 5X annual minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3X annual minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2X annual minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1X annual minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  11. 2X weekly minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  12. 1X weekly minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. 3X daily minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 2X daily minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 1X daily minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 4X hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2X hourly minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  18. 1X hourly minimum wage or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I wouldn’t change it — Happy with new name

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I wouldn’t change it — If my parents chose it

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  21. I wouldn’t change it — Not worth spending money on

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  22. I wouldn’t change it — My old name is already gender ambiguous/misleading

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  23. I wouldn’t change it — I would be sentimentally attached to the new name

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  24. I wouldn’t change it — Would be a hassle

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  25. I wouldn’t change it — Other reason

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  26. I’m unsure

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  27. I do not wish to answer

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  28. 4X monthly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  29. 2X monthly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  30. 1X monthly minimum wage

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    This poll was requested by @Lurking with regards to pronouns, but I extended it to names to make it more interesting.

You encountered the witch of mischief, and she decided to mess with you randomly.

Specifically, she alters the past so that when you were born, your parents decided to pick a different name for you that is usually reserved for the opposite gender.

For example, suppose you are male and your name used to be Andrew. In this alternate reality, your parents decided to name you Lucy even though you are male.

A few points:

• Your overall life/fate didn’t change significantly aside from the name change
    • Assume you don’t inherently hate the new name in general (...if it were used as someone else’s name and not yours)
    • It is not a gender neutral name
    • 99.9% of people you encounter will think that your name is supposed to be used with the other gender.
    As a consequence of your misleading name, when you send emails, people will often assume that you are the opposite gender and use the wrong pronoun with you.

People may joke about your name in the future, as well, and you may be bullied for it if you are around mean people.

You retain your memories of having your old name. You also gain memories of a parallel life with the new name.

Fortunately, you can go to the government and get your name legally changed. How much would you be willing to spend on this?
    1. Would you be bothered by having a different name? Why or why not? Would be bothered by being mistaken for the other gender?

2. Is there any reason you would ever change your name? Do you like your name?

3. Do you have a nickname? If yes, why did you pick it?

4. If you got isekai’d and got to pick the new name for yourself, what would you pick?

2. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    This poll doesn’t have the answer I want. I’d change it back, but my current name is already gender ambiguous. ( ・᷄ὢ・᷅ ) As for my original name, well, no one knows what it is, but all possibilities are pretty gender ambiguous too.

3. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I lived in the country of my parents' origin, my name would be a girl name. In fact, if you google my name, there are two k-pop girl idols with that same name (although one of them is retired because of age).

1. Sounds annoying, yes. Actually when I was younger, I had a few older Korean people ask my parents if I was a boy or a girl.

2. I like my name but if it was a girl's name in the country I lived in, I'd probably want to change it. About 2 weeks worth, I'd be willing to pay. Any more than that and I'd simply raise a rebellion against the government instead.

3. No

4. The most normal and dull name of my new parents' culture. Unique names are detriments. You succeed more simply by having a common name.

Lurking likes this.
  4. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I found out from Cthulu Gonfalon that my name is gender neutral, when I had always thought it was male-only, does this count? (I assume it is a gender neutral name since I am male and have the name and I know of other males with this name, and there is a female character with this exact name (not a variation) in Cthulu Gonfalon). I honestly didn't really think about it and now that I am thinking about it I don't really care, but it does feel weird to see my name referring to a female character.

5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you be bothered by having a different name? Why or why not? Would be bothered by being mistaken for the other gender?

Yes, because I like my name, and I’m a literal minded person and don’t like my identity being mistaken.

2. Is there any reason you would ever change your name? Do you like your name?

I like my name. It was carefully chosen for me. There have been plenty of times I’ve considered going by a nickname, but I’ve never considered changing it.

3. Do you have a nickname? If yes, why did you pick it?

I have plenty of nicknames, but most of them are ones friends chose for me out of affection. When I was in high school, I decided I was going to try going by a nickname, but changed my mind before I even showed up on campus. Since the nickname showed up in the phone/student directory, it caused a lot of confusion for a while.

I chose the nickname that is most common with my name.

4. If you got isekai’d and got to pick the new name for yourself, what would you pick?

Maybe Anra? Otherwise I’d just stick with my name.

6. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    You know its okay to post these polls but why do most of the options have to be about wage and well the question too actually? It could be something much more normal. Also, no i wont get my name changed and well if someone makes fun of the name even if it is misgendered(?), then too i would like to ask that person that is he a 5 year old or just an idiot to even think of names as funny for just being sounding a bit feminine or masculine. Though it would be bit funny if the name had some double meaning or something weird but it would not be something that needs to be made fun off if its just misgendered (?).
    P.S. I know i totally went on a tangent there but whatever:blobpeek:

Anra7777 likes this.
  7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I were to ever get isekai-ed, I might give in to my inner chuuni and call myself "Razr" even tho it's edgy as hell. :blobhero:

8. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm too lazy to do the math.

Lurking and IceLight303 like this.
  9. Phalex78

Phalex78 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's not worth it to pay to change your name, and if you don't like it you could just use a nickname ^^ or your surname

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  10. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who picks their nicknames. Aren't they given to you. I have some uncles called the three Suns (all bald) also know someone called keychain. Names are names.

Lurking and otaku31 like this.
  11. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    That's reality for me! Well kind of. My nickname is usually for the opposite gender.
    It's kinda funny when my friend call their SO, tell them they're with [my nickname], and the SO thought they're cheating

12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people pick their nicknames! :blobsweat_2:

I’ve known a few who chose their own!

13. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Nope, while I completely dislike my family name, I love my first given name, and sometimes being mistaken has its benefits as well :)
    2. Even though I don't hate my family I dislike my last name for the family history, well complete utter stupidity.
    3. What nickname? online>Yes, In real life?>Fk no. and the reason why I pick my nickname online is because of a hentai main protagonist that I have watched has this name that is so unique which is Minokyuu, and that shit is good.
    4. Lance Alexander since I'm a big fan of two people which is Lancelot from the Knights round table and Alexander the Great

14. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm close to gender fluid, so honestly, my name wouldn't bother me at all. Though I would probably still use other names, just because I enjoy adding the mystery.

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  15. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that's cool. To me names and nicknames are all about luck of the draw. If you ever have a chance look up the meaning of your name. It's usually not very impressive....

16. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I probably wouldn't be bothered by a different name, since I wouldn't know of anything better.
    I'm also not that certain I'd be that bothered by being mistaken for the other gender, since I'm not that serious or touchy about myself.

2. I doubt I would change my name, since I find it too much of a bother... it's already good if I deign to spend my precious free time on at least some things expected of decent human beings... creating a legal limbo for myself isn't exactly in my interests. My name is alright; short, easy to pronounce, I seem to still remember it, and unique enough that there's not tens of people with the same name at work.

3. I don't have a nickname, although my father called me a "bone violin" and a "flower stick" as a kid. He can't call me that anymore... :blob_sunglasses:

4. If I got isekai'd, it'd depend on my race, gender and skill build.
    If I had none and went as a male, probably my current name.

However... I did some time ago think that if I was a black dude, "Yo Mama" would be a good name.

Additionally, in some JP visual novels I did recently suffix my (male) name with "-ko" just for laughs.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I went with that suffixed version in an isekai world. Just because.

As for last name, if I got isekai'd as Japanese, Daitan could be a funny choice for a commoner's surname, and if I was a noble "<my name>ko no Baka" or "<my name>ko von Baka", where you can replace <my name> with my name.

Update:
    You know, if MC's tsundere significant other calls him "baaka" in my noble mansion, I could just go "NANI!?"... should be worth it imo.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Lurking likes this.
  17. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    "misgender" lmao.

18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2: I really struggled to find the right word for it. Couldn’t think of anything else that was equally concise!

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  19. Phalex78

Phalex78 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you meet a person for the first time you could juste says " you could also call me (insert your nickname)" it's usually what I do with people I know I will pass a lots of time with... Like this everybody call me with the same thing

20. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently learned that at least in Germany, if parents want to give their child a gender-ambiguous name they have to give the child a non-gender-ambiguous middle-name.