Discussion Worst turn off in a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by fakhruddins, Nov 7, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fakhruddins

fakhruddins Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven’t read any chinese novels with female mc and tend to stay away from japanese novels with female mc since most of them imo uses their emotions too much instead of using their brain. But from what you said, this actually could be applied to some male mc in japanese novels as well which just makes me drop them quick. Mostly the what did I do wrong? I only stole your girl or did something which inadvertently led to the decline of your family/group/clan, why are you attacking me!?!!?!?

Japorea, Ziavory and Mr.Tiemos like this.
  2. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck yes. Oh my god i forgot how this annoys me since fortunately i haven’t come across this for the past few novels. Imagine you getting hype of a character which was important to an arc yet that same character gets left out of the rest of the novels. Mostly when that same character directly/indirectly said that he would be back....

Vilidious likes this.
  3. djsosonut

djsosonut Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MC that keeps getting the power, skill, treasure they need to use one or two chapters before they need it. I dont mind if it was setup 20-50 chapters ago. Then it feels like proper planning. Worst thing is a lot of those skill/powers become useless later on instead of developed.

I also hate reading chapter after chapter of the MCs friends/countrymen in peril; all to manufacture tension for the last minute save by the MC. I'd rather everyone be fu##ing competent and able to save themselves.

Astaroth likes this.
  4. rafimiah1999

rafimiah1999 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What irks me the most are those fighting scenes where the comparison between 2 martial artist ,with different realms, are always said with " the difference between heaven and earth". I don't know what that difference is. There is also the fact that thet outlandishly embelish their fight scènes. Like when they write about a punch. Instead of just saying that the person is punching, they instead say that their fist contains the profundity of heaven and earth or that the punch is like a true dragon coming from an abbys. They are just not logical. Not to mention that they almost always shout their technique. If you have ever read any Chinese wuxia/xianxia novel then you must have noticed how stupidly long those names are, even for stupid techniques. For example, monkes grabbes the peach: "grabbing your balls and paindully crussing it". The last thing is that there is no commen sense in a cultivation world. No seriously, I would have thought that sects would understand never to needlessly antagonize those who are liwer than them. If they did follow this advice then they wouldn't be exterminated. The last thing is that cultivators have shits for brains. If they ever thaught of using their strengt and knowledge for things other than making bigger palaces or pursuing strengt , then they would have left our world's thechnology in the dust since they can directly understand the dao of the heavens (laws of nature).

5. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    This depends. Some novels, I’m glad that it ends in a harem while others I’m relieved mc stayed true to his LI. However, it does annoy me when I feel like the mc should’ve ended up with more than one girl. Also annoys me when the mc has a harem but suddenly after 5-6 girls, his morals suddenly came back and he rejects the girls that are suited for him because, ‘I have a wife’ Fuck off you have a wife, you’ve got more than one and where the fuck was that moral compass when you married your second, third, fourth and so on wives you dumb shit

6. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that’s annoying. Also when the mc gets this Oh so valuable treasure after a million chapters of build-up only for him to completely forget he had that fucking treasure the next fucking arc

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're Chinese, and an author, live in China half your life, wouldnt you be using China, its nationalism, culture, etc etc in your novel???
    And you write in a website domain in China, for people that can read Chinese and mostly the target readers are Chinese.......would you write 'hei dude, fucker, or wtf wtf wtf wtf', or etc etc etc those swear words.
    My point, what you get is what you get.
    I'd be surprised if I read an isekai novel by Japanese that doesnt involve the glorified soy sauce, onsen, or those Japanese culture LOL

Sheri_Yui_Chan and Tachi Works like this.
  8. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    rape

Anra7777 likes this.
  9. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When a Chinese/Korean novel makes every Japanese guy a fiend from the very depths of hell who eats infants every day.

10. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, other people have mentioned some of my turn offs, so I'll add another one. When I can see right from the entrance of a character that she's going to be a bitchy, arrogant antagonist. I get annoyed immediately, thinking how annoying it would be to read the next arc. I like some variety in my villains.

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Turn off for me is harem, reverse harem, any kind of harem, and any kind of loli/pedo.

tkok12 and Deleted member 89812 like this.
  12. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Omelet with nut sauce and sausage.

elengee likes this.
  13. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai novels with a reincarnation utilising guns. Or justifying the means of recreating it. I prefer fantasy novels to lean toward swords and magic, where guns make little impact. Magic guns are only appealing in anime, not novels.

14. Tikku

Tikku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Turn of for me is chinese naming in novels. Why does every characters and places have tree word for name.... So confusing to read. Especially if you read one chapter in week.
    Made up sentence for example; " Ying Un Ill went with brother Yang Un Ill meet his father Yeng In Ill to Ang un Ill palace." You get the point.

15. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah true. Nothing wrong with guns. Just that you’re in a world with magic, why tf are you trying to create weapon that can shoot people when you can literally just throw a ball of fire onto them

16. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    This is annoying but it can’t be helped. They are chinese after all.

17. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s a turn off in every aspect of life.

18. Omniscient Viper

Omniscient Viper [Evil MC Enthusiast] [Park Jimin Biased]

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese parody novels. I don't know why, but when authors try to make a parody novel filled with comedy and poking jokes at the genre, I don't laugh at all. I find myself laughing at non-parody Chinese novels more often than not. I guess it's because the comedy is basically children level jokes? Either that or I just don't have the same comedic sense as any Chinese author. :cookie:

19. Aranyhid

Aranyhid Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -Harem
    -Abusive ml
    -And when the plot go on like this>>
    "Why" asked mc desperately while looking at her bf and bff(sometimes cousen, stepsister etc) huggin eachother
    "Why you ask? You idiot!I was pretending like your friend from the beginning!You had everything! you don't deserve it anything at all! Now I stole everything you had!And I was the one behind your family' death.I'm pregnant with your bf btw.Now go die!!!
    Mc said to herself at her last breath that if she ever have a second chance she will make them pay!!!
    One sec later she find herself back to 10 years ago.......something like that:facepalm:

tkok12 and Anra7777 like this.
  20. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Rape victim becomes lover.... Like, stop. It feels so disgusting and wrong. Show me some dumb villain or even nationalism, just don't glorify rape. The popularity of "rape" and "rape victim becomes lover" is beyond me.

Arcturus and Anra7777 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.