Discussion Immortality + Something

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Nov 6, 2019.

?

Do you want to be immortal?

1. Yup

31.4%
  2. Nope

13.7%
  3. Hell yeah!

31.4%
  4. Not at all

15.7%
  5. Could I please have a way to end it anytime I want?

64.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're confusing immortality alone for invincibility. You don't die, but anything other than your infinite lifespan, you're still limited as a human. Perhaps you can learn something and adapt it with your immortality, turning you into some master or something. But, in this current era, I doubt you could have an encounter like those in fiction. You will likely live forever till the end of time or this planet's lifespan. However, living and being alive are two different things for you. You might be contained or be forced in a spot where you endlessly suffer pain, as you cannot die. Perhaps, only by killing yourself mentally, your body lives on, but your dead inside.

Immortality is a but means to savor your experiences longer in reality. Like what you stated about your mindset, if you do somehow become immortal in a sense, possessing either ridiculous regeneration or indestructible flesh, you will still be bored from everything after. So as an immortal, I dare you to traverse outer space and be swallowed by a black hole. You might be closet thrill seeker. Don't worry, you won't die.

Fulminata likes this.
  2. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not how memory works.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. Unfettered09

Unfettered09 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    actually i want to be immortal, i mean sure life is boring sometimes but with immortality you can just sleep for decades or basically laze around until you find something to do. life and technology is always moving forward i want to see that changes no matter how slow it is,

i dont know maybe its because i dont mind doing nothing and i actually dont find it boring lol i dont know anymore

4. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortal? As in forever-youthful immortal, or as in why-won’t-you-die-already immortal elder?

Probably not, else I’ll be hounded by everyone or worse, disected by evil cosmetics companies. :blobpeek:

Maid Chan and otaku31 like this.
  5. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Transmigrate to another world!!! (If immortality exist, why not another world???)

6. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am pretty sure everyone wants to live forever... Some may lie to them selves and others and claim that they don't, but each and everyone of them, will each day that they live, want to keep on living, and no day will ever come when they've had enough... days may come when they're in so much pain or something that they try to end it by killing them selves, and some may sort of set them selves on some suicidal path, and then continue on without thinking about death, until its too late to change but... I am fairly sure, for everyone living, when they're truly faced with their death... they don't want it.

7. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortality. Nope.
    Immortality with perks like reincarnation especially in different universes. Hell yeah.

8. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    People write that it would suck to live when your loved ones will die before you and I feel like a sociopath thinking "eh, whatever, immortality is still cooler"

9. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Hell yes! it'll mean that i'll got to watch (and perhaps, participate) when we, earthlings, found a new habitable world and actually reach them, becoming pals with visiting aliens, getting my andromeda galaxy citizenship, surfing the galaxy on a comet, and jumping head-first into a massive blackhole and live to tell the tale! :aww:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  10. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Augur』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, hunting immortals would be fun. Fates worse than death will befall them if those who know about their immortality exist. It also makes me think of Kurozuka for some reason...

11. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    The most interesting thing to do as an immortal is to defy science! Walk up to a scientist and show them your flesh. Watch the scientists blink their eyes in disbelief as your flesh doesn't undergo entropy. Then, run for your life as government agents chase you across the country. Exciting life achieved. :blobpopcorn_cool:

Chrono Vlad likes this.
  12. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    A life filled with misery and anguish achieved as paranoia would plague it. I don't think you'd be able to have plastic surgery to change identity due to the nature of one's immortality, it really depends.

13. AMissingLinguist

Reading List:
    Link
    The downsides are temporary (albeit not enjoyable), since immortality implies living longer than everything else in the universe.

14. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep just like how being trapped in the sun is a "temporary measure" which I believe would absolutely wipe out any chances of survival or revival through one's immortality. Being immortal does not make one invincible, it just means one cannot be killed through conventional means. Wipe out the soul, destroy any chances of regrowth through incineration/disintegration, body swapping would also be a bad end, acid and poison could work - one's body is dependent on DNA, and other methods such as getting caught in black hole's gravitational pull, there's no escaping it.

It also makes me think of Marvel's Freak situation, where Freak who had an adaptive physiology that made his body adapt to the things killing him before he died so he wouldn't died, where he would be used in experiments for the betterment of mankind.

There are 4/5 kinds of immortals.
    • Ageless - Not dependent of time; the most likely we can get if we find a way for telomeres to not break down.
    • Empowered - Regenerative; to have a healing factor.
    • Supernatural - Spiritual/Essence based; it's basically soul based and is the thing that keeps you in the mortal plane though something destroying the soul would not save you.
    • Adaptational - Gaining immunities; depends on if ones soul or body adapts if it's one or the other then it won't help but if it's both then okay just need to gain immunity without being destroyed completely.
    • And then there's the God level - Which can be considered Absolute; nothing can kill you and it would be related to reality warping.

15. AMissingLinguist

Reading List:
    Link
    Marvel's Freak sounds tough to beat, but not impossible, so I do agree some forms of immortality is better than others. Anyways, I was just answering OP's post, and applied their version of immortality with how an immortal would try to enjoy life. :blobsweat:

16. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Earth

17. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    I did kind of exaggerated his abilities to underratingly. I mean you can go read his fandom article, I only remember him because of the first appearance of Anti-Venom I bought in a comic book store. Turns out he's Regenerative and Adaptive...

Marvel's Freak
    • Adaptive Physiology: Due to Freak's exposure to animal genetic fluids, his body began to constantly mutate, especially just before he would die, potentially making him immortal. This also improved all his physical abilities, endowing him with a strength and endurance superior to those of an average human. It has been shown that he can survive even when the organs are removed from his body.[5]
    • Mutative regeneration and immortality: When Freak dies his body is surrounded by an acidic chrysalis that gives him the ability to spontaneously return to life mutated, acquiring the ability to survive any danger that has mortally wounded him before, and generally being more powerful. Freak has shown that he can come back to life even in the most extreme conditions, surviving after being shot and incinerated. [3]
    • Superhuman Strength Initially he possessed a level of superhuman strength, and he has shown that his strength can increase with each rejuvination. [4] He has been measured as being able to lift at least 3 tons.[8]
    • Superhuman Durability: After his first death Freak became bulletproof. After his second death Freak became fireproof.[3] [5]
    • Regenerative Healing Factor: Freak's regenerative capacity allows him to heal himself of serious injuries. Freak is completely invulnerable to most of the poisons, toxins and drugs of the earth, in addition to acquiring complete immunity to them after being exposed only once, and Freak's brain no longer has pleasure centers, which makes it impossible for him to experience the "high" from recreational drugs.[5]
    • Superhuman senses: All of Freak's senses have increased since he came back to life due to animal genes and constant mutations. Freak's sense of smell is so good that he even managed to find Spider-Man just because of his smell, even when he was in another part of the city.[3]
    • Poison: After experimenting with Him in Oscorp Labs, he acquired the capacity to generate a poison so powerful that it has no comparison with any other created on earth. [5]

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  18. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    the only thing i wanna become immortal is so that i could watch future anime and reading more novels

if one day my doctor said i would soon die (*knock knock knock don't let that happen)
    i would ask back 'in a week, tomorrow maybe?'
    but when i think about the upcoming anime, i am reluctant to leave this world so soon...

Bitty Kitty likes this.
  19. Bitty Kitty

Bitty Kitty Innocence ~ Purity ~ Hint of Soap!

Reading List:
    Link
    Bitty Kitty thinks.....Oh! There is a flutterby!

20. nuubman

nuubman Russia greatest love machine !

Reading List:
    Link
    immortals dont get bored, they eventually would find new ways to entertain themselves...such as creating 2 civilizations and then making them fight or wage wars just for the kicks, there is a good reason of why the final bosses of a lot of games, novels etc are immortal beings

Bitty Kitty likes this.