Random question about law.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by earthdrake, Nov 8, 2019.

1. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So random question about law.
    If a thief were to eat a stolen food item which was contaminated knowingly by the owner.
    Would the owner face any penalty?
    Generally speaking via your country standard and if you know danish law even better.

The why. I own a scooter, it was stolen once (got it back, danish police is absolutely useless, told me to go pick it up myself and they can only go while you can see the thiefs) and stopped it from being stolen twice more, once of those times they forced the seat up and stole some of the things there including food.
    Now in the case that the broke into that space and eat an item contaminated and ended up in the hospital, would I face any repercussion?

Cheers!

2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    in certain countries.. yes

has happened in US when an owner put a trap in his house to catch a thief, thief got injured, sued, and won if my memory serves me

3. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    heavily depends on the country, and in the us depends on the state

4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes he will because he is deliberately planning harm to another person. He may not know who the person is but he is planning harm same as dropping a bottle off a bridge on a stranger. You may not know the other person but you are taking action that will cause harm.

You are a lot better off pointing out the lax enforcement standards to a government official or politician so they can light a fire under their asses. Go on a police feedback site to complain and let their superiors discipline them.

And never leave things outside in a scooter (or at worst the back helmet case), it's too easy to steal from there.

5. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the prosecutor would need to prove that you knowingly contaminated the food and had the intention of poisoning the thief. :hmm: You should remove all traces of the fact that you own this NUF account if you really intend to carry this out. :cookie:

6. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

7. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if you can prove that your bike was stolen, then you won't be held responsible at all. The police have your report, they know the vehicle had stolen before and it's quite obvious to see if the seat's been forced open or not (unless you've fixed it and didn't get your insurance claimed) and the insurance claims would also definitely help so...I guess you're safe? That's how it is where I live.

otaku31 likes this.
  8. placeholder45

placeholder45 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a thief were to eat a stolen food item which was contaminated knowingly by the owner.
    Now in the case that the broke into that space and eat an item contaminated and ended up in the hospital, would I face any repercussion?

In almost all jurisdictions, deliberately poisoning someone is a felony. Even if it doesn't kill them. It's treated much more seriously than scooter theft.​

9. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Det skal du ikke gøre. Du kan 100% anklages for vold.

10. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, it kinda depends on what the food is contaminated with... and "why". Deadly contaminants are a no-go, but let's say, a very powerful laxative... You can always claim you suffer from intestinal problems, and the food was meant for you; though luck on the burglar who stole and ate it :D. Same for tranquilizers. :blobowoevil_horns:

userunfriendly likes this.
  11. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    I study the law in germany and our prof told us about a case where some dude was collecting wine. Some thieves repeatedly tried stealing the wine and when the dude had enough of the useless police, he decided to put rat poison into the wine. The thieves went to hospital and sued the dude. The dude went to jail (for a few months if I remember) but that case was a bit special.

-> The dude told the police that he put poison into the wine

So basically you will be fine as long as you don't admit it to be your food and deny intentionally poisoning them, since they can't find evidence of the poison coming from your food. They probably won't screw themselves over by admitting to stealing food from you.

Basically:
    1) Never admit to it and never tell anyone.
    2) Don't use fatal poison. It's fine if they get a little sick but the investigation for murder will be thorny.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The law is made in a way to limit abuse. To prevent "baiting", it holds people reliable even if the other party is also committing a crime.'

So if the food was poisoned and you didn't know about the potential of it being taken, you are more likely to be in the green (I say more likely because why are you carrying poisoned food in the first place). But if you knew your food was likely to be stolen and poisoned it, that would be a case against you.

That said, in most of these cases you remove a lot of the liability with a warning. So its a grey zone if you put a label on the food saying "WARNING: Not for human consumption", then it would most likely be their own fault for ignoring the clearly legible label. But again, I say most likely because why are you carrying food that is not for human consumption.

13. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    He's talking about him wanting to poison the thief, which is a lot more serious than stealing because it causes bodily harm.

14. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but if he can prove that his scooter's been stolen before and show the insurance claims about a broken lock.... would be easy to prove that the food was stolen- which is safe if he hadn't deliberately poisoned it-as in spoilt food, but if the food has traces of poison that isn't due to food decay, then he'll definitely be questioned why he poisoned the food. Who knows, if it's like where I live, he might even be unlucky enough to be slapped with more cases.

15. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The police in Denmark is absolutely useless for things like stolen scooters. If they know where you scooter is they call you so you go there to pick ot up, they wont go to catch the thiefs unless you are seeing them stealing something (they ask you to take a picture) and if you recover your vehicle they don’t take fingerprints pr anything as that is not hard proof of theft (only of possesing stolen property). Not only that, my scooter was hidden 30 mtrs from the police station. The thief left the scooter there (was seen previously at the same time) i went pick it up and left.

To the rest. Thanks for all the comments they are super helpful.

16. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like putting a poison in a cake, and putting the said cake on the dining table. You know that someone would probably eat it, although you're not 100% sure and you don't exactly know who. There's an element of deliberateness in your part. So in this context, you're pretty much guilty and can be sued. The same goes for the poisoner in your case.

But anyway, i'm not too sure how it goes in danish law though.

17. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    in my country tho, this is two crime
    one is the theft, his crime is 'taking other belonging without the consent of the owner'
    the second is the owner, his crime is 'intentionally contaminated organic things'

the thief will be sentenced according to his act, which is theft
    the owner will also be sentenced according to his act, IF his doing turned out harming someone, he should compensate the victim (the lawyer could help in fairness for both and lighten the compensation; since victim usually demand more than should ckckck)

in this case, you should denied anything about the 'poison' food...
    you shouldn't and didn't know anything about the contaminated food...

the thief stole something and hurt by the stolen things, is all the thief situation, it doesn't have anything to do with you...
    so denied it!!!
    you still should know there are food in there, since you put it there...but whether it was contaminated or not, you don't know! never know!

18. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    You should point this out to your mayor or Minister of Parliament, it's their job to get these guys to work. Point out the cases of repeat offences and the increase in crime in the area if they just do nothing about it and point out that it is the police not bothering to do their jobs.

It's not "unlucky", he really did commit a crime, though one that can usually just be denied and ignored if there is another "reasonable" explanation for it. It's called vigilantism, it's like catching someone and staging your own execution of him, it bypasses the legal system and you are setting yourself up as the law. Very big no-no when it comes to civilized countries that have an established government. You can get away with it in places like rural India or Somalia but never in places like Denmark.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    fumu as butterfly fujo said
    here you can be sued cuz put poison food but that unrelated with thief case

let focus on poisonous food,
    you may charged with do something that endanger other, there different between deliberate or not~ if da thief die it also may turn to killing but not intentional or intentional

well it really depend on which law used cuz no this cat not wanna browse thick law book just for sake ro know which law may used to do it~

simple put you may sued but other have stated how to argue it