LCD Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shance, May 31, 2016.

1. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember that there's two times where Myne's memory is scanned. The first seems to be the one shown in the anime intro. The second is far later in the WN time line, which seems to be what Tea leaves is referring to.

2. dhRPGamer

dhRPGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that he was referring to that later part,
    and that it didn't happen quite as tea leaves had described it.

1. Myne didn't quite lose her memory, but that her link to some of her memories was temporarily cut away.
    2. Myne didn't lose all of her memory, but only the memories that she holds as being more important than books.
    3. When Ferdinand forced the memory synchronization with her again, he led her through the most crucial events that he remembered most vividly about the people that Myne has forgotten, and "jump started' her link with all of the memories that she had been cut away from. At the end of that chapter, Myne regained all of her memories.

3. Tea leaves

Tea leaves Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then tell me other than Ferdinands' memory who else shared and Synchronize with Myne to restore her memory. Furthermore by synchronizing the memory they will be affected by the person who is sharing the memory including the very emotion they held.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019
  4. dhRPGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    I answered @jcochran in the post above, and it should answer your question as well. [​IMG]

5. Tea leaves

Tea leaves Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all both Ln and WN Ferdinand never saw Mynes life as a Soldiers Daughter. He only saw her dream world that has all her memory of her previous world. The reason I hate that thing is because remember when Ferdinand is beginning to be affected by Mynes emotion in that world. That looks like a mental pollution to me. Cause it disregard the user and contaminated them with their emotion. Like Ferdinand started to cry when he himself has no attachment to the dream world.

6. dhRPGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Like Mr. Mod said before, please learn to put the things that haven't happen yet inside a spoiler, or I'm afraid I might not be able to see you again in this thread for much longer. @@

[​IMG]

===== =====

I can't help but think that you might be taking that opening scene a little too literally. If anything, it was only a convenient plot device that the animator team used to be able to open the the story, not to mention that they did it while taking advantage of an object that actually existed in the story. I actually liked the way they did it. :cookie:

Plus, I think you're giving that magic tool (crown) too much credit. Saying that it causes mental pollution might be a little too over the top. Seriously, if that's the case, when I cry buckets every time I reread the end of Arc 2 and Arc 4, it'd be Mrs. Author mentally polluting me if we go by the same logic. @@

Pyoo and hillo315 like this.
  7. Preciousmele

Preciousmele Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pinteresteando I found Mine hairpin!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pyoo, Gen17, jcochran and 5 others like this.
  8. dhRPGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Beautiful! Though the color wasn't quite right. XD
    Just about all of Myne's hairpins have the colors green and blue in it, signifying the color of Tuuli and Eva's hair (green) and the color of Gunter and Myne's hair (blue), and blue was also the color of summer (the season that Myne was born in) in the Bookworm world.

hillo315 likes this.
  9. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    So today marks the official English release of eBook of LN volume 4 (Part 2 Volume 1) which ends with ends at the same point (baring LN exclusives) that Infinite Novel Translations dropped it i.e. c103.
    For subscribers they're currently at c110 and if you're not one then you can read the preview of volume 5 (Part 2 Volume 2) for free on their site which corresponds to c104-106. They haven't given a date for the eBook but I'd expect around the end of January.
    I also think it's an important time to remind everybody that in addition to everything after c103 on NovelUpdates being trash tl, they're also numbered completely wrongly e.g. c127 should be c112 p3. I'll list how they should be labelled under a spoiler tag.
    c104 - c104 part 1
    c105 - c104 part 2
    c106 - c105 part 1
    c107 - c105 part 2
    c108 - c105 part 3
    c109 - c106 part 1
    c110 - c106 part 2
    c111 - c107 part 1
    c112 - c107 part 2
    c113 - c107 part 3
    c114 - c108 part 1
    c115 - c108 part 2
    c116 - c108 part 3
    c117 - c109 part 1
    c118 - c109 part 2
    c119 - c110 part 1
    c120 - c110 part 2
    c121 - c110 part 3
    c122 - c111 part 1
    c123 - c111 part 2
    c124 - c111 part 3
    c125 - c112 part 1
    c126 - c112 part 2
    c127 - c112 part 3

hillo315 and bittervalley1 like this.
  10. bittervalley1

bittervalley1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is the link to the series on j-novel site - Ascendance of a Bookworm. Preview of the latest Part 2 Volume 2 here.

If you like this story so far, it gets better and better through the Part 2. From the translator's tweet:

Part 1 was fun, but man I'm extremely excited for Part 2 to begin since it's where the series really starts blossoming into what made it a legendary and beloved series in Japan. The end of Part 1 builds up the hype super well and I hope to deliver the quality of Part 2 in spades.​

jcochran and hillo315 like this.
  11. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished devouring volume 4 and have to say that the quality is still great. And the story is well worth it. Now to just control the withdraw symptoms until the release in early 2020.

12. CatCat19

CatCat19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow finally it's time more magic and ferdinand scene

anyone know at j-novel club updated every week or twice a week? thanks

hillo315 likes this.
  13. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    Weekly, but sometimes we get more however that’s not normal. Although there was no release this week due reasons.

CatCat19 and hillo315 like this.
  14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    How far did they get? I can't tell cause their website is really annoying to navigate.

hillo315 likes this.
  15. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    See

hillo315 likes this.
  16. CatCat19

CatCat19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks... :blob_blush:
    I want to binge read it :blobsmilehappyeyes:

17. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    Then just buying it in volumes instead of subscribing to their site seems the best route for you. Volume 5 (Part 2 Volume 2) comes out on 2020-01-20.

18. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    C29: "You’ll have no right to determine either the price of sale or your profits" This is a horrible deal. With this wording, there's no need for there to even be profits, and I'm not sure they have a right to quit working for him.

I wonder if this will double as a test for her mana.

Also curious how a commoner merchant can hire a mage if all mages are nobles or the property of nobles.

C30: "…Did I perhaps sell this for too cheaply?" Yes, but you have other ways of making even more money once you're established, and you never wanted to be a soap merchant anyway.

"However, they will retain neither the right set the sales price of the paper, nor the right determine their profits." There's no expiration date on this statement, and its also still incredibly bad terms for them.

C33: It sounds like the tronbay's growth was super-charged by contact with her, which means that growing them will not only give them a very cheap source of lots of paper materials, but also relieve her excessive mana problems.

C36: She should get her mother to help too. They'd get a lot more done, and I'm sure he mom could use the money. Heck, if they're popular enough, her mom might be able to quit her job and make them full time.

C38: “Hmm, I’ll pay him back for you.” lol.

I wonder how quickly she'll get around to using her new card to read every single book on the third floor's bookshelf ;)

C39: She should have asked what the cure was and how much it cost. She'll be able to afford it eventually after all, and even if she wouldn't be, there's no harm in knowing.

C45: They really should have tried to get more tronbay, even if Lutz had to make multiple trips out to the woods to gather the small bits everyone else left behind. They could have just stored the wood at the guardhouse temporarily and moved it to the warehouse later. While they were at it, they could have offered to buy wood like that in the future for some small amount based on weight. I'm sure the kids would be very happy to be able to earn money so easily by selling trash.

C49: When is someone actually going to tell her what the devouring actually is, and why a noble would be willing to take on such extreme costs to force her into indentured servitude?

C56: Seriously, when is someone going to tell her what's killing her?

C57: "I have not even the slightest clue as to what in the world a nobleman would find useful about the devouring fever." Then you should have asked. It's your f'ing life on the line and that information is absolutely critical in any potential negotiations. It's the most frustratingly stupid and contrived thing in this series by far that you refuse to f'ing ask such a simple question of any of the many people who would happily answer it for you :/

C59: "If you enter into an exclusive production agreement" This should really set off alarm bells in her head...

So, is she completely giving up on making any money at all on the paper? If so, then what was even the point in the deal she made with Benno? She basically gifted him two massive piles of money and a year of basically free labor in exchange for an apprenticeship that will cost him nothing. Add on the fact that he now wants an exclusivity deal with her workshop and things get even worse. He is absolutely not her friend and she's being taken advantage of to a huge degree.

C60: If he's not lying or exaggerating, then that seems like something that could be readily abused for things like assassination of foreign leaders. You just make a contract with your friend that you'll rule the world and they'll not interfere, and suddenly all the world leaders start dropping dead.

C61: I get that Benno is supposed to be one of the good guys here, but honestly, he's just not. He's exploiting the heck out of the MC and she's helping him do it. Same for Otto who's doing nothing to protect her from him.

C62: "How much should I actually charge, though?" If you were ten times smarter than you think you are, a royalty that belonged to your family even after you die.

C63: Speaking of the Merchant's Guild, why has she never gone to read the books there? She has a right to, and its wholly out of character for her to not exercise that right.

C64: “You need mana in order to make magical tools, and since only the nobility have mana" Does she also not know what the devouring is, or is the author just that dedicated to not letting the MC know that she has mana?

"Once again, it seems like Benno might have conned me into selling him all of my information for dirt cheap." And yet, there's no chance at all that she'll stop doing business with him and start doing it with Frieda, who is at least honest with her, instead.

C66: Why didn't she ask what it was before she put her blood on it? For all she knows, she just enslaved herself to the local lord.

C67: lol. That's so not the right thing to do at a job interview ;)

That aside, how is she planning to treat her condition if she's a priest? It doesn't sound like they have access to large amounts of money (which is extremely odd for medieval clergy), so the odds of them having members that are able to freely use their mana or the right kinds of magic tools for dealing with her condition are quite low.

C68: If the priests are that desperate for someone to charge their artifacts (assuming that's what this is), then why couldn't Frieda have done this too? Or does it require you to become a priestess?

C69: “Um, sorry, but, what does the devouring have to do with magic?” Finally! It only took two years and nearly seventy chapters for the author to finally stop warping the story's reality to keep her in the dark about this :/

That aside, she really, really shouldn't trust Benno, especially not when it comes to signing magical contracts. At absolute bare minimum, the contract should be written in such a way that it only does anything if she's coerced by the nobility, and only so long as that coercion continues.

"he’s still the most reliable partner that I have." He's only reliable in that he will screw you over if you give him the chance to.

C70: "The right of sale for all goods produced by Maïne’s Workshop is exclusively granted to Lutz." This is an utterly useless contract. All that they have to do is force her to dissolve the business and the contract no longer has any meaning whatsoever.

"Establishing a proxy requires the acknowledgement of Maïne, Lutz, and Benno, and must be registered with the merchants’ guild." This puts entirely too much power into the hands of people she she shouldn't trust at all, at least until she realizes how meaningless the first line is and dissolves the workshop, which will never happen due to the author insisting on making her act like a blithering idiot.

C72: Considering how good the conditions she got were, I'd think Frieda could have managed something similar had she wanted. Her grandfather has a lot more clout than the MC does after all.

That said, I have a hard time believing that this agreement would hold up if any noble of note took an interest in her, which they would definitely do if they found out how strong she is.

C73: "So, then, is this the Mister Benno that’s done so much for Maïne?" Not so much "for" as "to".

“The things Maïne’s Workshop makes, correct? That doesn’t include recipes or rights, you know?” Finally, she's actually using her brain a little bit. Still, if she spotted this problem, then why did she even sign that nearly useless contract that's most likely outcome is to accidentally kill her?

Its nice that she finally got a reasonable deal out of Benno. I doubt its the end of him screwing her over though.

C74: She should just become Freida's business partner for her food related goods. Then, she can share her recipes unreservedly while also securing a source of stable income that she doesn't have to do much for. It would also make Freida super happy, get her on the good side of the guildmaster, and irritate the heck out of Benno. The only downside is that Lutz might be mildly upset since he's supposed to be the one that makes the things she thinks of, but I doubt he wants to be a cook, so it shouldn't be that hard to mollify him.

C75: Why would her being there be enough to unmask her as the inventor extraordinaire? She's just another apprentice merchant as far as anyone knows unless she or someone else specifically calls attention to the fact that she's anything else.

Why is Benno so shocked? He tasted pound cake the first time it was made. I remember because I thought it was odd that he was even invited to that dinner.

"I would have wanted this." She offered it to you and you turned it down due to a lack of sugar. Don't blame her for your lack of resourcefulness.

"I wonder if Freida’s going to be able to coax her into extending the monopoly deadline indefinitely?" So long as she pays for those extensions, so what?

“How can that girl be so friendly with someone who used the fact that she was on her deathbed to swindle her?” Considering how much worse you've done to her, I'm not sure you have room to talk. At least Frieda has never been anything but honest with her.

He's super into himself, isn't he? A martyr in his own mind, even as he continually rips her off and tries to treat her like his personal property.

C76: Did we really need yet another interlude so soon?

lol. Lutz is getting lots of sympathy in these interludes ;)

C77: This is far, far too many interludes.

C78: When will we finally be free of interludes?

C79: "I’m certainly not important" I'm not sure how stupid you'd have to be to actually believe that in her circumstances.

C80: "And a stupid, penniless child at that?" Was she not listening at all? The MC is anything but penniless.

C81: It occurs to me that she still hasn't read any of the books at the Merchant's Guild, in spite of the fact that she's totally allowed to do so without jumping through any hoops whatsoever, and the information in those books would be exceedingly helpful in her current predicaments.

C83: If she's feeling that cold, then why not let some mana out to heat herself up?

C84: "I have no idea how to gather any information about the devouring" Ask Frieda. She'd bend over backward to tell you everything she knows.

C85: I wonder why she doesn't just buy clothes from Benno's shop. Do they only sell party clothes?

C86: "it might be a good idea for me to ask Benno if he could get me some sort of place for me to store my things." Why doesn't she just buy a nice place for her family to live in north part of town? She could definitely afford it.

C87: I figured Gil would be the most loyal, but I thought it'd take more than a light scolding and a heap of praise. I wonder how hard it'll be for her to convert Delia.

C88: She should just buy a book and keep it in her room. That way, she'll always have something she can read.

C89: It doesn't sound like they made enough for the orphans.

C90: Ah, so she's the tsundere. Getting her onside isn't going to be hard at all, especially not compared to getting her to admit that she's onside ;)

C92: Honestly, it doesn't sound like the orphanage needs to be repaired or improved so much as it needs to be replaced by a secular organization that isn't dedicated to raising orphans as slaves for the nobility. The way things are now, she'll just be churning out cheaper (due to higher supply), healthier slaves. Considering that she herself would rather die than become a slave, it feels a bit hypocritical.

C95: If she's worried about appearances, then shouldn't Fran's also be professionally made?

I wonder how they'll keep the writing from melting away during summer.

C96: Considering how expensive the karuta are to make, I wouldn't think that there'd be a huge market for them. Nobles and some of the richer merchants are about the only ones that would be interested, and there wouldn't be much call for them to buy more than one set each.

C98: I wonder if anyone else knew that tau fruit were actually tronbay, and if she'll make the connection now that she can make as much tronbay paper as she wants.

That aside, I expect they'll have a hard time cleaning up this particular mess...

C99: I wonder if she'll tell Freida. It could enable her to back out of her deal with that noble. Well, provided her mana isn't too strong anyway. If it is, then I doubt the nobles will let her go, regardless of her grandfather's status or her own desires.

C100: Well, at least she won't be sent to the reflection room again ;)

C101: With as much money as Lutz makes, shouldn't he be able to afford a better place than the attic? If he hires an orphan to do his laundry, and his place has a kitchen (which it would if its not an attic), then it really shouldn't be any harder to live than his life with his family. Heck, it'd probably even be easier since he wouldn't have to put up with the harassment anymore.

C102: It occurs to me that having Lutz declared an orphan leaves him vulnerable to being snatched up by the temple, along with his rights to selling her goods. I know it won't go that way, but she or Benno should have realized that it could.

C103: "From the name embroidered on the handkerchief, I learned that the Head Priest’s name is Ferdinand." She already knew his name though? I'm almost certain she's used it in the past.

C104: Yeah, this translation is pretty bad, and its also incomplete judging by the last release date, so I think I'll just stop here.

sgrey likes this.
  19. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    That's only a piece of a chapter and NU decided to follower the "translator" by naming them all wrongly post 103. Here are the corrected numbers
    c104 - c104 part 1
    c105 - c104 part 2
    c106 - c105 part 1
    c107 - c105 part 2
    c108 - c105 part 3
    c109 - c106 part 1
    c110 - c106 part 2
    c111 - c107 part 1
    c112 - c107 part 2
    c113 - c107 part 3
    c114 - c108 part 1
    c115 - c108 part 2
    c116 - c108 part 3
    c117 - c109 part 1
    c118 - c109 part 2
    c119 - c110 part 1
    c120 - c110 part 2
    c121 - c110 part 3
    c122 - c111 part 1
    c123 - c111 part 2
    c124 - c111 part 3
    c125 - c112 part 1
    c126 - c112 part 2
    c127 - c112 part 3
    If you want to read further you need to switch over the the light novel and 103 is the last WN chapter corresponds to volume 4 (Part 2 Volume 1) so you should move onto volume 5 (Part 2 Volume 2).
    You can read the first few chapters for free here: https://j-novel.club/c/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-part-2-volume-2-part-1/read
    For subscribers they go up to the LN version of (the real) 113 and the volume goes on sale for everybody else on 2020-01-20.

jacobpaige likes this.
  20. ShasuX

ShasuX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was an interlude, which wasn't part of the main story. And it wasn't Maine who used that name iirc. :)