TV Anne with an E

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Neneee, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was wondering if anyone was watching the series "Anne with an E" since none of the people I know are and somehow no one wants to although I keep recommending it... :blob_teary:

Italosprado likes this.
  2. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Could never get into Canadian TV dramas except for Murdoch Mysteries, everything else seems so lackluster.

3. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Anne of Green Gables? Gonna check it out. It was one of my most favorite books growing up :3.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    This makes me think of
    Sorre with an E

5. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This adaption kind of has a kind of modern point of view since it doesn't only focus on the romance but also on racism, feminism, sexuality and such. It's really good, although it seems rather dark at the beginning.

I also started it because I loved the books. At first I was somewhat unsure because I also quite liked the older adaption but somehow you can't really compare those two series :hmm: It's a different approach....

ludagad likes this.
  6. BoredNovelFinder

BoredNovelFinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The old ones were quite charming and had that classic vibe to it that feels nice when you watch it. I liked the old ones and the newer one just the same. For one thing, I find Anne's appearance in the recent one to be a more fitting fit than the previous actress. I also respect that the older one focused more on the innocence of growing up. This Anne with an E is grittier and I find that I like that more because I can see an inner conflict with the characters that are more in your face rather than the issues from before. It's been a while since I watched the older ones though so I more than likely am forgetting quite a lot about it.

Neneee likes this.
  7. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that if they'd made another adaption like the old one in the sense that it just remained that innocent love story it just wouldn't have worked out that much, however at the same time I'm also quite surprised how well they pulled off those changes. It was actually quite a daring decision, since the "Anne of" series is a rather classical story on growing up, love, family and friendship. There aren't that many dark aspects and most of those mentioned in the new series don't really appear in the books. For example being a female. In the original series apart from the fact that Marilla and Matthew at first wanted to adopt a boy there aren't really any conflicts because of this issue. Whereas in the new series it is quite often mentioned especially as they grow older. You can also see how the different characters deal with those problems in a different way.
    I also quite like how you can see them growing and the character development.

8. BoredNovelFinder

BoredNovelFinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do actually like this aspect of the new series. It gives it more gravitas and I do find it more realistic. On another note, I love the cast. Hopefully, if they're pushing this as far as they can and it spans a few seasons, the actors would age well into their roles. Nothing pisses me off more than getting less than what you hoped for.