News Three Licensed Korean Novels from Meteor Strike Media

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SlimIcee, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJudge

TheJudge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First 2 is okay so far, a bit cliche, but at least the MC isn't ignorant. The last one I thought started out good and the one I wanted to like the most, however sadly the MC is just so damn ignorant and blind that I just want to stop reading. 3 chapters a week is good, I'd say minimal to hold a readers interest.

2. NeriaTL

NeriaTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We're glad to see that you're enjoying our novels! As for Fallen Monarch, I would say that the story does take a while to develop compared to the other ones. But you can tell a lot of thought were put into developing the characters and the world. In contrast, you can say World's Greatest Militia focuses on the story more so than any characters.

I would personally suggest reserving any thoughts about the novels until the first volume is complete as there will be big twists after chapter 20! Especially for Re:Survival.

3. TheJudge

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually only leave a review if the novel is either really bad or good. I'll change my review later if the novel gets better later on or I just drop it and move on, growth is also part of the story, just depends on how the author writes it

4. SlimIcee

SlimIcee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously a lot of how people review is up to their own opinion, but I noticed that you may have misread one part of the story.

"On another chapter, Thoma is given fake/dangerous medicine by a person whom Thoma sees as a father figure and even though he knew for a fact he's being lied to, he choose to accept the medicine and even give them out for others to use."

Thoma CAN see lies, but he doesn't know what the lie is. The point of this scene is that the pharmacist tells him “Your body will improve if you use this.” They both know this isn’t true. Thoma knows medicine can’t heal him and he assumes this is a white lie his old friend is telling him to make him feel better. He has no reason to suspect that he’s actually being poisoned, and no reason to not give this medicine to Ellie.

Whether you see him as ignorant or not is up to how you interpret what happens, so I'm not going to argue against opinion since we all read into things differently. I did just want to point out that he has no idea this medicine is fake/dangerous. While he does know he's being lied to, he assumes it's for an entirely different reason, since he has no real reason to suspect his old friend of poisoning him.

5. TheJudge

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yes, you already cleared up how his skill worked. My other problem is with how long hes lived he has never once thought that the church could be evil? Even after seeing how the people around him lived, and after how his buddy back when he was a hero acted, he still chose to blindly follow the church and their brainwashing. Look at the latest chapter for example and some of the things Thoma has said “This creature is a demon. An evil existence which opposes our God!” and this isnt the first time that demons have tried to defend themselves, but yet Thoma is just so brainwashed by the church that he would automatically assume all demons are evil. He's not some hero, he's a puppet for the church. He should at least be able to think for himself. It's just poor writing imo even if the story and his character develops. He's not some kid with no experience in life, if that were the case, yeah I would cut the MC some slack.

6. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean he basically went on a Demon genocide when he was younger. Thoma doesn't really have any reason to not think of the demons as evil, they've been enemy #1 for most of his life. Is he a puppet of the church? Definitely. Does that make him an ignorant idiot? I personally don't think so. Religious extremism is a real thing, I don't find it unrealistic for Thoma to be indoctrinated to such a degree, especially when he was the Hero they sent to kill the Demon Lord. Also, his friend Salem was waaay different toward Thoma back when he was the Hero. Remember how Salem mentioned how he used to practically adore him? Back then, they were actual friends, and now Thoma is seeing his old friend for the first time in a long time, and seeing how much he's changed. I feel that Thoma has changed for the better over time. He confronted Salem about taxes being too high, and he ended up not killing the little demon girl immediately. Those are 2 things the old Thoma wouldn't have done.

7. NeriaTL

NeriaTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

SlimIcee likes this.
  8. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    lol

9. TheJudge

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope so, but of course you would know since you probably read the entire novel or further ahead. Character development is a thing in novels, hopefully Thoma wakes up sooner than later. I have high hopes for Fallen Monarch. Also it seems this is the authors first novel or translated novel, and the other novel he/she wrote is more tuned.

SlimIcee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.