Recommendations Slave abolishing movement?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Neku, Nov 12, 2019.

1. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Magic Industry empire

Neku likes this.
  2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Legend of Chu Qiao: Division 11’s Princess Agent
    It's the very premise of the story. The protagonist ends up in a world where she is a slave and the nobles torture and slaughter slaves for fun. The book has a terrible ending though and I recommend that people don't read it.

Neku likes this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Khaleesi

Neku likes this.
  4. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's difficult to push to end slavery in a fantasy world where people have vastly different amounts of power. Like if there was slavery in Naruto then it would take someone at least at kage level to push the idea forward.

Neku likes this.
  5. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link
    this reminds me of a book i once read, i can't remember the title,
    but it had a really interesting slave society,and by the end, it comes out that everyone, including the leader, was a slave. they all had this same "slave mark".

this was interesting because it implied that no one was a slave, but people just thought they were slaves due to the marks. only the leader knew he was a slave, only he and the rich under him knew they were his slaves, and so on and so forth.

made for a very interesting dynamic. especially once the mc found out xD

Neku and Nino Sasou like this.
  6. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem was that I focused my answer on this paragraph of OP:
    As for the abolitionist movement. A lot of the non-violent part did not come from the bottom of society, but from some members of the upper middle class and above being appalled by what they saw happening to the slaves and deciding to change that NOT by telling the slaves about how their lives should be better, but by telling the upper class about how the treatment of the slaves is not only inhumane but also unorthodox, and that it would be the responsibility of any good christian and "insert country" citizen to change that.

While it might be interesting most of the readers seem to prefer the "generic evil young master" seeing a slave/peasant and saying: "Urgh, what is that? Quickly kill and remove it before it sullies my good mood any longer." Just to be killed by the MC between 0.5 - 1000 chapters later.

Neku, lohwengk and Kutaifa like this.
  7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets be clear
    There are two types of slavery

1 The indentured servitude that is akin to today's corporate environment
    2 The racist one where you kidnap other races and treat them less than human

The first one is more common in Japanese media so they dont really see it as an issue. And even fetishize it
    The second one makes for a great story and usually is seen in Chinese novels, where the protagonist mother is a concubine, from lower caste or from a lower race.

Japan is homogenous racially so the authors lack the tact to understand the second one which is the best setting for a slavery story, so their stories just fail in this aspect

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Neku likes this.
  8. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    There are actually happy slave in modern world and they're ....... The Parent
    If the baby cry, the parent will use any possible mean to stop the cry even if it crush their dignity
    The parent will feed the baby without fail, even become a clown
    If the baby become kid and wants a toy(s), parent will either buy or distract it with anything else (the wallet always close to zero in content)
    The kid always first priority be it food, clothes, attention or toys, parent can always get the leftover
    If the kid want iphone, luxury car or go to foreign school, parent will beg money loan from neighbour which sometimes the sum is enough to make them work for whole life for at least 2 (reincarnation) lives (very different in isekai you can get rich overnight by making not so tasty mayonnaise)

If you want rebellion slave in modern world, its kinda difficult to search because no parents would like to revolt, if the kid happy stomp their parent, the parent will happily let their body get stomped
    If you search rebellion of isekai slave....... i don't know if the slave is the slave you think of (every slave meet mc become like master, MC will say, you cute! sleep in the warm bed while the gentlemen me will sleep in hard cold floor)

Nightow1 and Neku like this.
  9. telobakar

telobakar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    release witch

Neku and madmanthan21 like this.
  10. madmanthan21

madmanthan21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A hero's war on FF.net also does this

First, a lot of the communist principles, we apply now, everyday in our lives, even in hyper countries, the utilities, owned by the gov, the roads, owned by the gov, rail, usually owned/subsidized by the gov. This are all aspects of communism
    There are also employee owned businesses.

And today, working conditions are so much better than they were previously, if nobody called for it, conditions would not have improved 1 bit. All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing, after all.

And do you really think that the rise of the soviet union and the french revolution are somehow, not interesting?

As for others,

I would love to see an MC that actually cared, instead of lol i'll just take this slave and rape them into Stockholm syndrome, sure he may be treating them somewhat better (or quite often not better at all) than other slave owners, but working there is still not the slave's choice.

I mean, indentured servitude is still extremely horrible, oh it's not chattel slavery guys, so it's not so bad, just like modern work enviorment, this is some BS!!!

There is no choice, if you have a bad boss, you can usually leave, find some other work, or if your country doesn't have a social security net, you can atleast file some complaint in the modern day, slave/indentured servant can't do any of that in these stories.

In cases like this, Viva la revolution!!!

Neku, Wujigege and Anra7777 like this.
  11. keialpha

keialpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The interpretation of how slavery actually ended in history is a very heavy political subject.
    In one interpretation, a slave will be freed and becomes a regular worker, when he makes more money for his owner as a free man than as a slave. Then as more slaves are freed, they becomes more productive and makes more money for the owner, and forming a virtuous cycle. On the contrary, if the freed worker produces less than slaves, as more slaves are freed, the country will produce less, become weaker and weaker, resulting in military defeat and slavery reinstated in the defeated country.
    As such, if a particular work requires the willingness of the workers to produce the most benefit, slavery becomes counter productive, and will be removed naturally, without any "benevolent heart" from the slave owner, or moral judgement from anyone. The disappearance of slavery in history is merely a result from the appearance of new industry under which this condition is satisfied.

In the story universe, if adventures under slave collars can kill more monsters and get more loot, all adventures will be slaves. If a party formed by free adventures working well together can get more loot, all party will be free adventures.

The willingness of the MC in regard to slavery should have no impact to whether slavery will exist or not. Without an industry where a free man will create more than a slave, freeing slaves is merely shooting oneself in the foot.

Neku likes this.
  12. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Death Mage Doesn't Want A 4th Time

I am actually rather amazed that, so many hours into this thread, and nobody suggested it yet.

The LCD chat of that, 1/5 of it is about moral issues, and 2/3 of that fifth is people triggered at the racism. It is a hallmark of a particularly well-thought-out novel that the story never explicitly covers what is right and what is wrong, yet evokes heated morality debates in the readers.

To a lesser extent, Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu also had that kind of element. The protagonist hates the crooked meddlesome summoning goddess. The goddess brainwashes the people, so the conflict cannot be avoided. But this likely won't fit the OP's requirements because the protagonist is too imba. Not that Death Mage isn't imba, but rather that he is always struggling to carve out his own utopia for his neighbourhood, trying to live quiet lives, yet others just force his hand. In Tsuki, there is little to no fight over the morality. There is no force that could wound the protagonist's faction.

===

As for the above discussion about slavery, one cannot help but remind people that how humanity stopped slavery had a lot to do with historical happenstance. In particular, slavery was always justified by how it is necessary for the functioning of society, partly because there are always jobs that nobody wants to do. Topmost on that list is to be a pawn soldier. That argument famously collapsed because a tiny citizen army thrashed a massive slave army because slave armies are never really effective in war. (Don't remember which, but this is the modern one, not the 300 tale from so gd long ago.) Then, of course, people start to realise that all those "slow down, we still need slaves for X" arguments are all total BS and then the dominoes fell. It is therefore extremely important that some places did it first, and they succeeded spectacularly, so that then other countries could point to them as a shining popular example, "It wasn't that slavery is necessary, it was that you have never bothered to even entertain the possibility of abolishment. You merely rationalised your racist activities." (And yes, this is also in reply to the Naruto reference above. Don't just impose it on others. Start with your small region of influence, and don't need to preach it first. Succeed, and then others will learn, or perish.)

And you see the kind of bending over backwards to justify slowing things down. First the boogeyman of French Revolution and Soviet Union, when in fact both events dramatically catalysed the urgency for improvements and led to lasting good change. Then you have "oh, it is merely Industrial Revolution", as if it had been demonstrated that doing it earlier would have failed---the Greek states before the stupid fight with the Persians literally says the opposite.

But I digress. It is more fun to talk about how a novel hero could have smartly gotten around to this. There is no reason why a summoned hero has to play the imperialist game. The hero/ine should immediately ask the empire "How many slave soldiers would you provide me with?" and when the answer is some non-zero number, the hero/ine can just refuse to slay the demon king "because your imperialist nonsense deserves to perish for being morally repungent, and I want to have nothing to do with sustaining it. If you do not kill me, I will sit on the nearest hilltop and gleefully enjoy your demise. Abolish slavery in all forms immediately (action plan details omitted) and then you get to ask me to consider other stuff."

Or something non-confrontational could work too. A summoned hero tends to be a religious figurehead too, and the power and authority coming with that can always be used.

It is quite sad, however, that novels don't seem to want to explore the brainy sides of things. It is, of course, asking way too much for the protagonist to be PhD level educated in many subjects. But even the standard high school protagonist from our modern era is supposed to know a lot. e.g. Newton's Laws are an epoch-making discovery, and high school students in first world countries can be expected to know this. CJK in particular would know them to shreds. High school students won't know how to use complex numbers, but might know that square root of minus one is actually useful in maths. Differentiation being a thing, even if you cannot actually remember the proper definitions, just being able to solve Zeno's paradox, could jumpstart industry. Just having the idea of weaving looms, et al, steam engines, especially pin manufacturing, is already enough to establish economic dominance with which to create favourable conditions for whatever social change you want to push. Because by then you will be so rich and so militarily untouchable that you might end up unifying the world. The protagonist doesn't even need to be smart. Just eliminating roadblocks and dead ends for the smart people chosen by the empire, is sufficient to spur explosive innovation in the smart lackeys. The standard education system is literally written with consideration for what kind of info is needed to rebuild civilisation if a zombie outbreak kills all the smart people, hence why iron and fertiliser manufacturing is in the syllabus. Just the periodic table's concept alone is already way too groundbreaking.

Neku likes this.
  13. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which country are you from? I've never studied any of the stuff in your academic syllabus.

Regarding Death Mage: his way of fighting slavery is to be OP enough to smack down any slave owner's army, and have the resources to provide for the freed slaves after that (he made his own kingdom.) I enjoy the series, but most MCs don't have the wherewithal to follow his path.

Novels don't explore the hard stuff? That just means you've been reading genres and demographics which won't cover these issues. Tbf, most of what gets translated are often the simpler and more popular stuff - sort of junk food of stories.

bf likes this.
  14. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Commonwealth country that tops the charts so much that, just like Finland, Cambridge has to separate our exam scripts lest the scores for the rest of the world drops.

But that is overselling it. I do a bit of teaching, so I looked up the syllabi of different countries. Commonwealth countries following the British A level syllabus tends to outdo the British in terms of the difficulty of the materials. For example, we do titration in chemistry practicals more than 2 years in advance, i.e. the Brits only do it in A levels (age 18 pre-uni), whereas we do it at O levels (age 16). However, that does not mean that the Brits are that much worse off. They do less science and maths in their syllabus, but still include most of the stuff mentioned above. In contrast, we do a lot less of the humanities, and there is a lot of suffering in that department. I leave as an exercise for the reader all the political ramifications of that choice.

Other than a slight familiarity with the CJK situation, I also looked up the International Baccalaureate, another popular pre-uni qualification scheme. They also cover roughly the same topics, again, with some mixing and matching.

In a sense, this is the reason why BSc in first world countries tend to be faster. BSc Physics that fails to cover quantum theory, is really a blight to humanity and ought not to exist. Yes, these are jabs at MAGA, because only in 'murica is it tolerated that schools, public and private, are so bad that BSc had to reteach basics. No other rich country does that, and only 3rd world countries share the affliction at the university level. (Mind you, 2nd world countries, which was a term meant to describe Commies, do way more. Scary!)

Education, however, is a huge botched job. One of the great reasons why it is so is because many of the good stuff are written by elitists who don't think that they should explain their choices and reasoning to the plebs, that the plebs won't understand even if explained. None of the stuff I mentioned above are a) compulsory nor b) motivated. They are all inferred from actually piecing together what the random jigsaw puzzle says.

Like, one of the easier inferences is that we teach the concept of partial fractions only because integration needs them. Most professors in maths-science-engineering can catch this without prodding. One of the failure cases is that we teach stupid pattern recognition. This is taught because many of the original breakthroughs started from people noticing patterns. I mean Bernoulli, Euler, Gauss, Newton, etc, doing that in maths first, and then we also have the famous Balmer series that was just brute-force pattern matched. This is a failure case because last-century maths already showed that any series could be pattern-matched in infinitely many different ways, so that pattern matching is only well-defined if you limit the complexity of the pattern matching.

Same with the stuff in chemistry. The highlight being iron smelting and nitrogen fixing is a dead giveaway that they are necessary for reconstructing civilisation after a catastrophe. After that, we have organic chemistry, which is again immediately useful for pharmaceuticals and others. Biology has to have all the crazy memorisation because the point of the syllabus is to train doctors, who has to keep all their knowledge active at all times. Those that fail the memorisation can go into medical research or something else that doesn't have to memorise everything all the time.

Needless to say, if you don't have a rather full grasp on physics, you won't understand why the maths and physics syllabus is the way it is. The level of interconnectivity there is absolutely insane, and for good reasons. It is therefore all the more disgusting that the reformers who don't understand what the syllabus is attempting to do, is cutting out important stuff here and there, leaving a dysfunctional mess that students cannot hope to understand. For example, it used to be a textbook staple even merely 40 years ago to teach the concept of couples right along moments and torques, in rotations. They are always only defined, and asymmetrically so (important, because ugly asymmetric stuff annoy everybody and tend to be repealed), and never explained nor used. Turns out, they are of overwhelming importance because a really trivial mathematical theorem known to the pioneers converts all rigid body motions into far simpler stuff if you use the concept of couples. That is, it is yet another one of those elitist "If you are smart, you should already see why we teach this; if not, you are a moron and don't get to say anything." shenanigans. Needless to say, the reformers didn't get the memo and so removed the concept entirely from textbooks in the last 30 years. Elitist scum gets their desserts---whatever is not motivated, gets misunderstood and removed, to the detriment of humanity.

In fact, there are no lack of crazy dead ends that we could have removed from the syllabus in physics if you want. Maths, a bit difficult because the pioneers are literally so smart as to know why things needed to be taught in a certain way. But physics, the loonies want to teach random bits without thinking through the implementation. Not to mention that there is no one correct way to do science, so it is necessary to really think through what is universally useful, AND understandable to the students. And then you have the curse of knowledge at play. Life is so difficult!

Well, yes and no. The minions sent to fight him up till now are still all garbage, so he is OP on them. But the point is that he doesn't act cocky just because he is currently OP, or trying to abolish slavery over the entire world by imposing "might is right". He knows he is fighting multiple powerful gods and those gods are raising heroes and armies against him, so he is very measured in his responses. Also, his aim is to create a stable utopia for the people around him that he loves, such that they will not be plunged into despair the moment he dies, and that is always a difficult thing to do, again requiring forethought, planning, and measured responses.

Staph! Mah tears, they just come down!

But it is also the case that I will take time to enjoy whatever philosophical and moral issues raised. They are so rarely done well! Death Mage is high on the list to read simply because it managed to do that. Needless to say, I cannot help the triggered people who don't seem to reflect upon how the author specifically presented a hyper-nuanced take on morality, about how difficult it is for otherwise morally upright people to see the flaws in their worldviews. In particular, the point isn't to rage at how the racists are racist, but rather to understand that if you are the one that is racist, you will feel righteous in your actions too.

Neku and lohwengk like this.
  15. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your country's standard of education seems much higher than most of the rest of the world. Extending that to say that the typical transmigrator to another world should know all these things is overly demanding.

Fwiw, I did my O-level equivalent in a typical SEA country, and my A-levels in the supposedly top SEA countries, in one of their top 3 schools. At that time, that country was producing a large chunk of A-level top scorers. I've never encountered any of the material you mentioned. Their education system was based on rote memory work and rote problem solving. Either you grok how to use the equation or you don't. There's no "why." This held true even for introductory courses in their universities.

Vandalieu and Satou (Death March) are two of the most enjoyable MCs I've encountered. OP but not self-righteous. They'll put out the fire in front of them but don't feel guilty about the fire on the other side of the world. They acknowledge that when they help someone, it's because they feel like it and not because they owe anything to the party being helped. They get rid of slavery when it's viable but don't go around raising the banner of revolution. And there's none of the killing=murder=evil crap. Overall, they give a very mature response to the world around them.

Neku and bf like this.
  16. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not denying the first part, but that is precisely why I took so long to talk about what the actual world standards are. I am specifically comparing both across space and time to see what a typical kid should know. More on this later.
    Little red dot, anyone?

When I was studying for my BSc, a good friend of mine, who is from the neighbouring country M, told me about what he studied to get his scholarship. Was surprised to find that there were materials in there that I hadn't heard about. There is a lot of variations even just within a country, let alone cross borders.

I have to disagree, however, because I have checked up the syllabi for quite many countries, and they really include most of the stuff. For example, the exception that proves the rule for C is that they don't cover any calculus until uni, choosing instead of have horrible 3D trigonometric problems that are of really dubious use elsewhere. And ellipses. Total WTF.
    Oh, this is true almost everywhere on Earth. AFAIK, the only cases where it is better is elite education. Yet, the truly elite are so sickening, that they don't learn from teachers, and the teachers might likewise don't bother teaching.

The only way to get what I was saying, is to actually read between the lines in the syllabus.

Anyway, as I was saying, the point is that I am not assuming that the transmigrating kids will fully understand what they have learnt, or what other utopian things to assume. I am saying that just knowing some facts should already be sufficient, because the acceptor empire should have geniuses of their own that can connect the dots.

For example, we all use Hindu-Arabic numerals. Place-value system AND zero took millennia to develop. It is inexcusable if a transmigrator doesn't know this. Ascendance of a Bookworm has hinted at this. The symbols for + - x div all took forever. Algebra was a tremendous invention, as are sines and cosines. Cartesian coordinate system is a tremendous invention. Especially for CJK transmigrators, not knowing these are inexcusable. Just write down the quadratic formula, and some genius will figure out why it works.

Age 14 should include kinematics, which imply F=ma for gravity, and that is a bombastic discovery. Even if the transmigrator does not fully understand F=ma (and exceedingly likely to, given how bad teaching is), just memorising the few examples they are exposed to, should clue a genius in to what the scheme is. Some countries do energy early too, and that is another bombastic discovery.

Similarly, it is difficult to not know pV=NkT=nRT and how to use 6.02x10^23 as a concept. Even if you don't know anything more, this is already a great breakthrough in the understanding of chemistry. Understanding oxygen and its role in burning, is also a century's worth of work. Conservation of mass, too.
    Actually, this is a known psychological problem that removes from morality, but yes, this is far more mature and realistic.

Neku and lohwengk like this.
  17. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> This Nuffian’s father is an internationally well respected mathematical physicist who has helped contribute to quantum mechanics. Is also American. <_<

Neku and Wujigege like this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Your post is too long.
    You should be smart enough to be more terse or had a summary/TDLR

Neku likes this.
  19. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh. I note your lack of disagreement, and thank your father for his contributions. Maybe he works at MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Princeton, etc that don't feel it, but otherwise it is really likely that he would actually agree with me. After all, my opinion here is heavily informed by American professors.
    Ah, Monsieur Newton, you should be smart enough to be more terse or have a TL;DR.

TL;DR version: If the first 2 lines of the comment you quoted isn't enough of a TL;DR version for you, well, providing claims without also arguments/evidence is only going to get me shot at for failing to provide sources, no? Can't please everyone.

People really aren't good at deduction and inference. It is not the student's fault that they cannot understand why things are taught in the syllabus; that fault is squarely on the teachers, and my own students never have to ask me. Instead, they ask me to stop giving examples of how things work and why things are in the syllabus. Once they fully understand the topic, the summaries becomes easier and better quality. I might have to step in to summarise because I have more years of experience, but their answers to questions are something to be proud of.

Neku and Wujigege like this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    In short, critical thinking is better than rote learning.
    Got it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Neku likes this.