[Poll] Could you live in a matriarchal society?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 12, 2019.

Tags:
?

Could you find happiness in a matriarchal world?

1. I’m male - Yes! I love this idea!

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. I’m male - Yes, I could be happy

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. I’m male - Yes, maybe...

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. I’m male - I’m unsure

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. I’m male - No, possibly not...

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. I’m male - No, I probably won’t be happy

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. I’m male - No, I would hate it!

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. I’m female - Yes! I love this idea!

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  9. I’m female - Yes, I could be happy

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. I’m female - Yes, maybe...

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  11. I’m female - I’m unsure

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. I’m female - No, possibly not...

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. I’m female - No, I probably won’t be happy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I’m female - No, I would hate it!

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  15. I do not wish to answer

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. EnerHighwave

EnerHighwave Holy Daugther of Kyuu 8❤️ Speedy's pet Lovely's ❤️

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm very happy in almost any situation and I don't think that it will change anything of what I do so, I'm probably be happy in that kind of world too.

2. doroppu

doroppu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What you are suggesting isn't a matriarchal society, but a misandrous one.
    Patriarchal societies are normally misogynistic, so we form a connection between the terms, which is, more often than not, actually not wrong.
    But matriarchal societies tend to not minimize men. So matriarchy =/= misandry ➡️ there's a clearer separation between both terms.

Moonpearl, Pyoo, lychee and 2 others like this.
  3. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    I live in germany so i can tell you it's pretty bad.

4. doroppu

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you really this dumb, or are you just trying real hard?

5. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Big old meh to this. Isn't this just partriarchy as the MC in a gender-bender?

6. Nusan

Nusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1- well i think that i would be happy since with this little information and this sentence "All of us know this history" i see so many options and I choose these options as I see it fit
    2- no
    3-( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    4-thank you for so little detail on this world

7. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyway, instead of an isekai, that sure sounds mostly like reality to me.

So, first, I could find happiness as well as in my current life... so probably I'd have to get a lot of cats/dogs/fantasy creatures and become isekai cat lady/chap.

Anyway, my chances would likely be better since the women would be the active party and no one would expect me to do anything but look as pretty as I can... and then *I* can gossip behind the back of the wife, nag about her not doing her part for the household, complain that she doesn't make enough money for the family, spends too much time with her friends, never shows me her love, doesn't look me into the eyes when she talks to me, and so on.

Second, campaigning politically is too much effort, why bother?

Third, depends on how lucky I get with the lady who steals me away with a kabedon and rides me away on her white horse. :aww:

8. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it is a matriarchal society, just also a misandrist one. And while you may say that matriarchal societies aren't misandrist, power always creates oppression and discrimination in society, by its very nature.

9. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys are underestimating how much physical labor sucks, and in a world without technology it sucks even harder, therefore it would be pretty nice not to have to support a family by working the fields

The thing is, feminists like to undermine the rights of women in traditional societies an they had plenty but they were to be used in a different way, just the right to be supported by a husband is a big deal in societies without industrialization and there were rights over honor in the treatment they receive from men, but those rights were either a passive or too heavy to be used without repercussions, in general women had to fulfill their duties ans stay under the authority of men and they would be entitled to resources and protection, but if they wanted to act on their own they were on their own

Therefore yes, it would be possible for a male to be happy in this "Matriarchal" society as long as they play their cars right, like in any society

If a man were to fulfill his duties then he could demand the wife to offer protection and provision or shame her by the dishonor of not doing it, that tactic can go a loooooooong way, specially since men would be in charge of raising the daughters and would have plenty o time to drill into them the importance of protecting the men and their honor, basically in this society women would have bigger rights but also bigger duties and leveraging those duties can bring plenty of benefits

Pyoo likes this.
  10. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Starting with insults reminds me of Reddit. World is not equal, it's not patriarchal nor matriarchal since some laws favor males and some females.

little king likes this.
  11. godlight500

godlight500 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I have food and internet I don't really care about society

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  12. doroppu

Reading List:
    Link
    In traditional society, maybe (I think is sad to think about that as an absolute truth tho), but we don't have many (we have zero) examples of thriving matriarchal societies to study and compare (a shame), since most of them where destroyed and the ones that persist are too small in size to provide good samples of power struggles and such.

13. doroppu

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you are really that dumb.
    Law is not made to favor people, but to protect their integrity and rights.
    That includes laws written to uphold/promote equity, because just equality doesn't cut it.

14. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Did anyone tell you that you act like an asshole? Laws as a concept maybe are trying to provide equality but reality isn't as nice when you can impose your own understanding of them. Nowhere did I said that law is made to create equality, it's more of a tool to control not equals with veil of protection and safety. To me it seems like you are the dumb asshole here.

15. doroppu

Reading List:
    Link
    I think everything you wrote is problematic, to say the least, but I'll focus on a simple point: how can you demand something from someone with more power than you in a society that doesn't believe you have rights?

16. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignoring the social... and just wondering about how people would appear in this hypothetical world...

Am I right to assume that women would essentially look and sound just like how men do in our world, except for their sex organs, wider hips and... maybe boobs? while men would look and sound just like women do in our world, except again for their sex organs and narrower hips and... maybe lack of boobs?

17. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I kind of just imagined the human species to be weaker overall.

A lot of women would look like your stereotypical “Rosie the Riveter” or the tomboy aesthetic would be popular.

Men I was basically imagining kpop boy bands. Maybe longer hair. Who knows?

Moonpearl and Gin_Hindew like this.
  18. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm... Feels bizarre... Uncanny... I would much rather reincarnate as a girl into a patriarchal society of equivalent "gender discrimination..." against women... is that the word?

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN likes this.
  19. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    A bit different. In that world the "main wife" doesn't do anything but spend almost all the nobles money on luxuries while the men work to make up the difference. In the world lychee is talking about it's just a medieval-cultural role reversal. Men take care of children, cook, clean while women do the men's jobs from the time.

20. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is basically @lighterxx's dream world made real? :hmm:

1. Could you find happiness in this world?
    Maybe, but I would have to deal with sexism.
    2. Would you socially or politically campaign for men’s rights in this world? Even if it causes your family/neighbors to frown at you?
    I would try to gain equal rights, and I'm fine with being an outcast if it means equal rights.
    3. Are there any aspects you would like more about this world? Or would you hate it all?
    I would hate having to beautify myself for relationships. Let me stay single, dad! :blobscream: :bloboh:(New blobs, woo!)

lighterxx likes this.