Discussion problem sleeping

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by yanpi, Nov 12, 2019.

1. yanpi

yanpi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know if this is the right thread or right forum to post this.

lately i have problem sleeping. so this is my scenario: before going to sleep 15-30 mins i try to read some 3-10 chapters of a novel. I try to read so that my eyes grow tired so i can sleep good.

then something happen when i close my eyes and sleep. awhile i dont know if im dreaming or something. but my mind or brain keep getting stuck to that novel. something like my mind wants to continue the story but it really a mess the story is going nowhere. for example: the last the chapter i read is the MC is going to explore a dungeon until that last chapter. then in my mind the story continues the MC is inside the dungeon and the story is in a mess because my mind or dream want to continue the story but cant because of no information. then i wake up suddenly feeling fustrated because i need to sleep but i cant because that damn dream or my mind and cant sleep for an hour because my mind is mess up.

i know the situation is a bit difficult to understand. im not an addict . lately im only reading some chapters not whole day.

if others can understand or relate to it please tell.

the only solution i came up with is not reading before going to sleep or thinking other things so i can sleep.

so do i have some problem or just adjust my sleep pattern?

also, this does not happen everytime i ready before i sleep. its just sometimes and its really fustrating and hard to sleep again.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
  2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear some ppl just masturbate before sleeping as it relaxes them. do that.

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read hentai/R-18. Ur dream/imagination shouldn't hv any difficulty advancing the PLOT to sweet climax. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

BigBadBoi likes this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You are reading the wrong thing before bed :hmm:
    Try math or physics..., some topics like 'Infinitesimal calculus' or 'Arithmetic progression' or something

5. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like you should stop reading before bed. Why do you need your eyes to be tired? That shouldn't impact whether or not you can sleep. Try meditating for the same amount of time instead so your mind is relaxed and see if that makes a difference.

AMissingLinguist and Reak like this.
  6. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I'm imagining math dungeon nightmares, yikes.

7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solution A: Go to sleep an hour earlier.
    Solution B: Take two benadryl.
    Solution C: Meditate. Not the sit-on-the-floor type, but the shut your damn eyes, relax, clear your mind and focus on your breathing until you fall asleep kind.
    Solution D: Listen to RainyMood and/or whatever your preferred blend of relaxing music is.
    Solution E: Go jogging or something before bed.

Solution Just-Do-This: If you plan to read for awhile before bed, then read IN bed. The only difference between you being asleep and reading that book should be that your eyes are open. Eventually, you're going to have trouble focusing on the novel and start wanting to close your eyes. Done.

Wujigege and AMissingLinguist like this.
  8. Nessle

Nessle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya should just divert trying to read novels or watch things that ends in cliff hangers,it just stimulates your brain for posibilities and it either is stoping youbfrom sleeping or influenceing your sleep.not a profesional of this just i myself experienced it,try listening to music

9. HaseoXV

HaseoXV Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    read comment in youtube good sleep medicine lol

10. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I chill and listen to relaxing music for about 10 minutes (youtube has a ton) before sleep and it helps a lot. you need to calm your brain down, not get it running faster (which reading will do) or in circles.

11. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Question: Do you read on a phone or computer?
    Blue light makes it hard to sleep and actually makes the mind more awake. You should change or set a timer to change the light function to red or night light. Some people advise not to look at smart devices an hour before sleeping but who listens.

12. Draakon

Draakon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not going to work to most people since it's giving food for thought and they are the thing that easily stop you from sleeping.
    I guess that you can read some really boring stuff but...
    Hot shower after physical exercise is my method to go. The method of such exercise that suggested above multiple times can help, but not the most useful.
    Now you probably can try medicine. Not strong sleep drugs since it's unhealthy but something like "Glycine" (especially if you are do not eat much meat and milk) should help. Well, you also can drink milk before sleep and recieve glycine that way instead but not everybody like milk and not everybody physically can handle it.

13. bluedreamsfairy

bluedreamsfairy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just saw an Insider video on Youtube about Truths and Myths about sleeping. Your brain has a biological clock. When it is time to sleep, you should sleep. When it is not, then you won’t be able to. However, we usually can’t follow the natural clock, disrupting our sleeping time. So, in fact, please read the suggestions that other people are commenting about, but if you wake up or can’t fall asleep, don’t keep on forcing yourself to sleep... Get up from your bed, relax (don’t do anything else! just stand up), relax, don’t keep on saying you must sleep, relax again, until you feel drowsy, and then try to go in the bed again... Good luck!

14. yanpi

yanpi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh thank you guys for the help. sometimes maybe its just that the novel is good then its time to sleep. that my mind want to read more. maybe ill just skip reading before going to sleep.

Vilidious likes this.
  15. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Try soothing sounds.....I'm currently listening to this

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  16. Draakon

Draakon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's too late for you, I trying to quit for more than 5 years without success. It became even worse.

I even registered on the site on foreign language that made to find and watch novels translated from other foreign languages... There is no hope left :(

17. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, there are two situation

1: when i close my eyes, this blinking dark shadows keep flickering in my eyelid, the more i try to ignore, the more obvious it becomes.
    2: when i'm asleep, sometimes, it feels, like there is an itch coming from the core of my body, something that occurs within

18. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link

actually, i have always had trouble sleeping, and made up stories in my head (still do, actually). This leads to the same situation as you, my advise is just go with it, and let your brain fill up the story. It'll eventuall go over into a dream, and you mind will add stuff like it does normal dreams.

it's how i get lots of ideas for my book ^^

also, a screen right before bed makes it more difficult to sleep, and your sleep quality will go down. there should be an option to change the screen settings to remedy this.

if you use your pc in bed, again, this will cause problems, because your brain will categorise your bed as "reading space" and push up your concentration, leading to more wondering and wandering of the mind. i will admit, i still use the pc in my bed, but to remedy the problem i only use the pc when on my left side, and only sleep when on my right side.

might seem crazy, but the quality of my sleep went up quite a bit after a month or two. (takes time for the body to get the hint)

19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    instead of reading books from screens at night, try actual books. On your phone, you are kept awake by your anxiety not to miss out on some social activity.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  20. mistvenom

mistvenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't tire yourself out by reading novel if you want to sleep. It's really bad. For me, this is an extreme case that happened in my life

This is my experience, i read novel nonstop from awake from sleep to almost next morning, i do that continuously for a week, when i tried to sleep i got a nightmare, basically my nightmare is the world of the novel(at war or something), in this dream, I've been killed multiple time, got waken up suddenly multiple times, every time i woke up, i got sleep paralysis (can't move my body for a couple of seconds and hard to breath, also experiencing hallucinations like seeing a ghost). Those dreams forcing me to an 'half-awake' state where i know this is a dream, but i can't control it. Basically, every time i manage to be alive in the dream, the dream change place into another one, but still at a kind of war. Bacause of those things that happened to me in 1 night, i got sick for almost 1 month. Mostly the way i died is by falling from high place.

I heard that if you got a dream, a dream where you're falling, it means you got a light heart attack.