Feature Request Filter by type/language (CN)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by uffuffuff4, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uffuffuff4

uffuffuff4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm trying to filter out (hide) all CN content from NU updates page.

So far I added to the filters all the genres I know (like: wuxia) and filter some groups that do them, but a lot still get shown on the updates.

I'd like to add to a filter by Type, to make possible a filter like exclude: "Web Novel (CN)", that would hide all of them. While I would use it this way, I suppose one could use it to filter out (or show) some macro categories.

Could you consider implementing this?

2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no way to filter out a language and the suggestion has been rejected in the past. Just search for "language" in this forum (selecting "titles only") and you'll see for yourself.

1. You'll remove most of Chinese releases by removing Xuanhuan, Xianxia and Wuxia genres.
    2. You can filter out Chinese groups.
    You've done both... But, did you also?:
    3. https://www.novelupdates.com/account/ > Site Settings > Enable Origin Tagging (Colored). This wont remove anything, but it'll show you which releases to omit.
    And if you want to turn things up a notch:
    4. Make this your reject list: https://www.novelupdates.com/reading-list/?list=0
    If you set it to hide from releases list, you can just click on the "Add to Reading List" box next to releases you don't want, refresh, and repeat.
    Soon you'll have next to none CN releases left.

3. uffuffuff4

uffuffuff4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know it was a request that was already asked (and rejected) in the past.
    Strange because a language filter would make sense, but no biggie.

Point 3 is a good one, I will use the color tagging, since with it it became easier to jgnore entries.
    About point 4, shouldn't I lose the reading list if I use it like that?
    I mean, I use the reading list so entries on the updates page is hilighted, so I can't be used to anything else.

Anyway, just point 3 is a great help, because I can just chek JP and KR languages, plus highlight frome reading list.
    This way I can still see updates to novels I don't read, but I'll check only the ones there's a possibility I'd like.

Thanks again.

4. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhm, you do realize you can have multiple lists, right?
    I linked to the "=0" one, since it's the default one that seems to get all new series added to it, if you tick a rls from the main page...

If you move your novels to another list, you can use that list for highlight - then you can use the default one the way I described.

5. uffuffuff4

uffuffuff4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I didn't realize.
    I will create a second list to use as a blacklist, and add the unwanted conted to that one after opening the series in a new tab.
    Since I use the check to keep track of the chapter I am, I can't use that as a fast way to add to a filtering list.

The only issue I have now is that the filter seems to be applied just before sending the page to the browser, since I get pages with like 10 entry or so...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    If a series is on your list already, ticking the latest release on the main page to mark progress will work the same way it always has. Only new series get added to the default list.
    Yea, that's the issue with the way release filtering is working. I read some people get empty pages or ones with like 2 novels average...

7. uffuffuff4

uffuffuff4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, set it up like you said, indeed it works like that, just that the blacklist... will seem as I read a ton of those... lol
    On the other side, the filters being applied like this (I get 5 novels/page too) is kind of bad...

8. Erexz

Erexz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much, your suggestions just made searching for good novels to read a whole lot easier. I made a reading list named "Garbage" and set it to hidden. I've been throwing all the nuisance from ... thats been spamming my NU Homepage there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.