[Poll] Would you go to the hospital?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
?

At what chance of a life-threatening illness would you go to the hospital?

1. 100% - I’m basically dying right now so I’ll go

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. 99% - I’m nearly dying

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. 95% - 19 out of 20 chance to die

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 90% - 9 out of 10 chance to die

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. 75% - 3 out of 4 chance to die

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 66% - 2 out of 3 chance to die

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. 50% - Coin flip chance to die

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  8. 33% - 1 out of 3 chance to die

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. 25% - 1 out of 4 chance to die

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. 10% - 1 out of 10 chance to die

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  11. 5% - 1 out of 20 chance to die

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  12. 1% - Pretty sure I’m not going to die

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  13. 0% - I’m totally healthy! But I’ll go to the hospital...

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  14. I’m unsure

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  15. I do not wish to answer

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  16. I wouldn’t go to the hospital

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you forgot " 110% - I'm technically dead but still going, guess I should go have it looked at"
    in reality I've been there (or near enough) and by the time I actually got to see a doctor I was already on the mend ...

2. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I'm good. *dies* :blob_ghost:

As for a serious answer, most of the time I consult family before I go to the hospital. Also, the symptoms just sound like narcolepsy.

(To explain why hospital bills are so expensive in the US, hospitals may waive bills for people who can't pay, so those bills are passed on to future bills.)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  3. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, I'm not going. I once stepped on a nail through my shoe while helping clean up a place where an old man used to sell Bull lips fro crab bait(used to being the operative word, that place needed a hazmat crew to clean it) if it wasn't for the insistence of other people (they grabbed me by the arms and pulled me into the car) I would have just pulled the nail out of my foot, throw some alcohol on it to disinfect and super glued it closed. instead, I was given an x-ray(shoe pieces had to be removed), the nail removed, shoe pieces removed, and a tetanus shot was given.

so as long as there is no immediate threat to my immediate wellbeing I.E. I could just keep this "disease" till I just suddenly drop dead, Ill prolly just tough it out and hope for the best while expecting the worst.

Meloman likes this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn’t go to the hospital, unless I was physically carried to the hospital.

1. Do you prefer to take risks or play it safe?
    Risk it to the very end. A lot of times hospitals are no help at all. I might get better results just asking my grandma.

2. Are you good at taking care of your own health?
    Yes, I watch my diet and I try to exercise when I can. Sleeping maybe a problem, but I hate wasting time on sleep. I want to use as much of my time doing what I want.

3. How much of your income (before taxes) are you willing to dedicate to health insurance? Note: if you have government health insurance, estimate how much of your tax goes to that.
    30% to 50%.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Traveling Chef, Meloman and Astaroth like this.
  5. Yakuson

Yakuson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine needing to pay for a regular check-up

*Laughs in Canadian

6. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I took my mom to the hospital because of her pancreas and they sent her a bill for 13k just for staying 3 days all they did was give her 2 medication and then took her off them. unless that IV bag had liquid diamonds I can't fathom how they came up with that price. nope no hospital for me unless im really really sick.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Meloman likes this.
  7. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you suddenly out for 20 minutes for no good reason then you should go to hospital even without consulting smart watch. It just common sense.

Meloman and SenjiQ like this.
  8. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd call a GP first and get their opinion, but yeah hospital all the way. If you have a heart attack while in the waiting room, your more likely to survive than having a heart attack at home

Meloman likes this.
  9. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Let’s see. I literally did this last week. Only my issue was brand new health insurance that works off a percentage (you pay X % of bill). Doctor calls me late at night to say my blood work came back positive. Given my symptoms this could be literally about to kill me. Or it could be high for a non-emergency reason. No odds were given. What to do?

Answer: I spent nearly the whole night in the ER to tell me I am not dying. No, they don’t know what is really wrong with me, but it was not about to kill you so go home.

Now I get to wait for the bill....

Traveling Chef, Meloman and lychee like this.
  10. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    already did the hospital bit. now i'm at a nursing home waiting..... and waiting. i'm just going on 50. i might be here awhile. MS is a BITCH.

lychee likes this.
  11. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn’t as simple as that.

Even in the real world, tests have indications, and if you don’t fulfill the indication the insurance company will refuse to pay for the test.

For instance, if you decide to slice your own hand and go to the hospital, the antibiotics and wound care will be covered by insurance.

However, just because you have a hand wound doesn’t mean you can get an MRI of the brain. It’s not indicated, so it won’t be reimbursed if you try to get the test.

They’re treated as separate problems.

Similarly speaking, realistically everything is broken down on a per problem basis. Your hand wound treatment might be free, but the random extra tests that you got for a heart scan or brain scan wouldn’t be free.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  12. MianaXenia

MianaXenia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, would going to the hospital guarantee my recovery if it turns out i have a illness
    cuz if the hospital cant cure me from my life threatening disease, then there wouldn't be any point to go to the hospital to "check" if i have the disease or not, and if it can be cured no matter what percentage of people die, then i would just go, get another illness that will be discovered by their scans, which will be a genuine health problem. and while they are checking, they will discover the "other" illness i have, and that would be cured too.

or is that breaking the immersion lol

13. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let just say, my father chose to not go to hospital. And he was found skin and bones. He had lung cancer and lived the remainder of his life in pain and with breathing assistance. His last week in life, he said this, 'I don't want to stay here. I want to go home and die'. And the last day with him, he said good bye... and he was dead next day.

So, go to the hospital if it doesn't cost you a fortune.

14. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously I'll go start learning medicines and get my doctorate, so I can treat myself.

Can't trust someone else with ma life u know :blob_sunglasses:

And that's only possible if I'm a mc, but it's not, sooooo ..

I just get my a** out there and go through the test. I'd rather lose 5 million on a mistake than lose my priceless life

15. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I’d go if I fainted twice within a month or something. Provided nothing else apart from fainting is wrong with me. The type of insurance I have is not cheap but if I have some serious issue (like operation) they should cover over 60-80% of the cost. Probably it’s better to have this type of insurance if you have family history of medical issues (eg diabetic) or have it after you are 40-50yo. But sadly in the place where I live health insurance is mandatory, only the company and their services vary...

Traveling Chef likes this.
  16. 25th bamm

25th bamm A Self-proclaimed Normal Reader and Tea lover

Reading List:
    Link
    In the situation you explained I would probably go the ER and not drive myself in fear of passing out on the road. But in most situations I wouldn’t really go the ER unless it was there was something broken, an reaction, chest pain, lots of pain, or an absurd amount of blood. I have passed out randomly before and I didn’t go the hospital because I felt fine. Do what you want with this information.

Meloman likes this.
  17. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    my neighbors were over 60 year old couple (probably closer to 70, but I never asked). They liked doing hiking, skiing and all that, so they come back one day from their day trip out with friends (old people too) and the man drops dead. There were no signs whatsoever. No heart picking feeling (or he didn’t tell his wife). Ambulance even on a good traffic day takes about 15 min to get here, so there was no way to save him. Was a really kind and friendly old man. RIP.

18. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    you can improve your choices... with smart watches and combined biometrics, risks greater than 70% are enough. So there is no real difference between 95 and 100.

As for me, nope. I wouldn't go. I would prefer to die peacefully, without knowing.

19. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Supreme Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    No one i know have fainted, never seen anyone faint, nor have i fainted.

So yes i would schedule a meeting with my gp (which i would meet the same day). It would be moronic not to

20. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Do you prefer to take risks or play it safe?
    Play it safe, but I'm a hypochondriac so...

2. Are you good at taking care of your own health?
    I would hope so..

3. How much of your income (before taxes) are you willing to dedicate to health insurance? Note: if you have government health insurance, estimate how much of your tax goes to that.
    If I stay healthy I won't need this...

Waah I don't want to think about any of this! :notlikeblob:

AMissingLinguist likes this.