when you spend 2 hours on a ez french assignment only to get 20 points of for one word.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Blazingprincess, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Blazingprincess

Blazingprincess Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Teacher just graded assignment worth the same amount of points a quiz would be worth and I got 20 points off because I used a word we haven't learnt how to conjugate yet utvgkbhygdtrgfcgvhbj.

She said in comments that she assumed I used google translate which is cheating, but fr I actually tryharded tf out of the assignment and used my notes for everything else, I only searched up the conjugation for one word. I spent way more time than was necessary perfecting it and I got 20 points off and now I wanna die... all because I wanted to say I sleep a little....

2. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    I see the assignment isn't the only thing with one word "of"

GDLiZy and 0000000 like this.
  3. Blazingprincess

Blazingprincess Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude it's like 3:30 in the morning my brain does not care about grammar rn

nuubman and 0000000 like this.
  4. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    the only French word i care about is Omlette du Fromage....

5. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Much sympathy :blobpensive: After so much effort, to have it thrown under the bus by your teacher is just heartbreaking. At least you know how hard you worked, and she/he can't take that from you. It won't bring those 20 points back, but at least you can say you've learned from this experience.

Best of luck~:blobphone:

6. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    tell them that you used a dictionary, and that if they don't know what that is or how to use it, it is a valid way to learn a language and that they aren't the sole provider of all your knowledge

7. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    If you honestly got 20 points off just for that word , then that assignment better be worth several hundred points, otherwise she's way too strict or too free to hand out or take away points.

Otherwise, the only 'valid' reason I could think of if your statement is true, is that your entire assignment would've been a masterpiece, but that one glaring error prevented it.

9. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    That only works if he is in a country other than the US... Here it is about learning to do things the way it is taught and any attempt to jump ahead of what's been taught is not appreciated by teachers, they want you to score well because of them and not because of your own hard work and effort.

10. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    does this mean you can't learn ahead of the class? what kind of bs is this? does a teacher's job is helping students learn or is it to obstruct and hold them back?

11. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand. I would bring it up with the teacher and say you used another source. https://www.thoughtco.com/dormir-to-sleep-1370171 is a site I used when studying french. It was easy to look up verbs. Also check the back of your textbook it might have a translation of some verbs that you could then say pointed you to the word you used and you looked up the conjugation.
    If she doesn't listen then try to take it up with the head of the department of the grade is really serious. Most teachers don't care if you use an online dictionary or ask someone for help. Your teacher is kinda out of line.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  12. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  13. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I just remembered, my worst grade ever (in whole school and uni time put together) was in English (foreign language) in the first grade. In the first month of school. Because of that I refused to properly study this language with a dictionary how my classmates did it.

later when I moved to another country I still did not use a dictionary, but just after one year from the last one in class I became the first, grades wise.

So don’t despair about your French teacher. I am a hundred percent sure that my level of English by the end of the seventh grade was much better than that teacher’s who gave me an awful grade.
    Perhaps you will also one day become a French language interpreter and say FU to that teacher.

on another note: I found that the easiest way to learn to speak and listen to a new language is by watching the same movie without subtitles on repeat till you feel sick of it. As for writing and grammar- get a pen pal in that language. You will actually learn that language the way it’s supposed to be used and not just in school’s theoretical classes.

Any language is a living organism that evolves. Those books and dictionaries they give you at school were written at least 10-20-30 years ago. Some words and tenses are already becoming obsolete (especially with a language like French) while the new ones (thanks to globalization and new social technologies) are not yet included.

Blazingprincess likes this.
  14. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    sue Ur professor.

15. Derrax

Derrax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a french, I feel saddened that a teacher like that exist...
    Well, it's not that big of a deal if you don't learn and become good at french. It's quite a dumb language, trust me on this. You just need to know english to live in this world after all.
    If you ever met a french guy who can't understand you and blame you for it, it isn't your problem but his. Everyone should have some decent level of english in this era. Cheer up!

From a library in Paris.

Blazingprincess, Emmyy and ongoingwhy like this.
  16. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Your teacher can't just asume you 6sed google translate and take away 20 points (at least not where i am from), if possible just use the assignment itselfe as an argument for why you stil deserve those 20 points (is it writen that you can't use any aids, if not you could ask why they did not turn of the internett, or just block all sites exept those you are allowed to use).
    Just fight for those 20 points and a bbetter grade, you deserve it.

17. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    It is omelette au Fromage you uncultured twat

*angry baguette noises :blobcat_hyper::blobcat_hyper:

I'm joking though :blobnobully:

18. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *shots*

19. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Please, accept my gratitude.

20. Emmyy

Emmyy Kadupul flower* blooms at midnight*dies at dawn

Reading List:
    Link
    I met a Frenchman who made me love French and him haha..:pFrench is the sexiest language on the planet when spoken..my butchering of his native language made him laugh but I tried hard haha..
    Paris ah..tres belle