[Poll] Could you abandon a dying person?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 16, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would you save the lives of dying people in the slums?

1. Yes - If I can save lives, I will do it 24/7 for the rest of my life

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Yes - I would treat it like a rigorous full-time job with vacations

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Yes - I would treat it like a regular full-time job

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Yes - I would treat it like a part-time job

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Yes - I would treat it like a serious hobby

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Yes - I would treat it like a casual hobby

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Yes - I would do it very inconsistently

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. Yes - I would do it a few times

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  9. Yes - I would do it once or twice

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. No - Because I don’t care if other people die

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  11. No - Because I don’t care about poor people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. No - Because I don’t get any rewards/benefits

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. No - Because I want to enjoy my life

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  14. No - Because this is pointless

18 vote(s)
    20.5%
  15. No - Because this is a hassle

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  16. No - Because the other doctor is annoying

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  17. No - Because the sick people deserve it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. No - Because this world is clearly overpopulated

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  19. No - Other reason

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  20. I’m unsure

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  21. I do not wish to answer

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    The world is overpopulated, it's a hassle for me and it's pointless as even if I treat them instantly they will breed millions more of new sick people in a day than I treat. I just open a dimensional gate and leave that shitty world and go to another with more fun like Overlord, Danmachi or others like The Gamer or Elder Scrolls. But before that, I give the dotor an ageless immortality as long as he stands with his goal of treating people and make him treat them instantly.

2. Karumin

Karumin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

3. KazamaPro

KazamaPro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if it were me, ill help with intentionally to build my own power.
    first, because I can do anything in one meter radius, ill created a seed of holy healing which setting was everyone which pray to the tree that growth from that seed would be cured from any disease and stay healthy as long as they worship the tree.
    second, ill set it so that they would strengthen me by 100% of the worshipper's total stats. it also strengthen the worshipper to get strong stat too.
    third, ill set it so that the tree would be my catalyst of my own power, meaning my power wouldnt be restricted by one meter, as long as the tree's root radius could reach 100km radius.
    fourth, the tree can be as a relay of telepathy,similar to phone, but you need to have a saintess as your relayer, intentional plus one harem.
    fifth, make the tree unaging, so you can have continuous supply of power.
    and lastly, make the territory of the tree always have a beauty land, rich with soils and fruit, gold, silver, iron. that way, I also strengthen my worshipper to have a succesful life, so they would worship me forever. huh? ill be god by then? so? I can use my power freely that way. no restriction. and I can do everything my way.
    note: I doubt everyone that choose no as their answer can have that limitless power without restriction. hah, what a waste a powerful power. you all limit it yourself one meter radius. I make it so I can have at least 100km radius.

bf likes this.
  4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    as a classic bystander, I would not even have healed one person in the first place.
    holy mother title? no thank you

5. Mr_Magika

Mr_Magika Big oof

Reading List:
    Link
    No I wouldn't. Even if you tried to nothing world change. Best thing to do is fix the problem at the source. If the majority of people live in poverty then there are the few in power living luxuriously and allowing this to happen. After you deal with that, the people need to save themselves rather than waiting for someone to do it for them. There are tons of similar situations through human history but mankind has always managed to cling to life and advance into the future no matter what.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. All you need to do is set the stage for that to happen. Anyone telling you that isn't enough of a moral obligation is delusional.

Death is part of the natural cycle of life, people who want to survive need to struggle for it themselves.

kkgoh likes this.
  6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Walk away. I have the power to effectively forget this happened.

ongoingwhy and Green Apple like this.
  7. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Those horny bastards ended up overpopulating the planet - let them die out and then help to kickstart a new civilization that invented contraceptions to avoid destroying the balance.

8. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If helping those ppl will have no end i'll just use my power to make things that can help me help those ppl,
    i can alter reality, so just make some robot or super doraemon that will work for me or some vaccine maker that can help the doctor
    to help those patient. i can always make a quarantine room and make the child and elderly enter and make the room bigger as i heal some more.

he's the one asking me to help, its not fair if i'm the only one that take the suffering of helping these guys.
    after that just make it like piramid scheme, help abc(adults only) then makes abc use what i make to cure ppl, make food for the hungry guy, etc then get abc to train the ppl they cure to help us.

i'm only human even with that ability, but with more ppl helped maybe they can help us think to help all the ppl, while put me at the top of pyramid creating a new religion and people screaming "all hail wantek the great!" (LOL)

i dont think i can have fun while looking at some random guy dying and asking for help
    (imagine you are ready to bite your favorite meal but the one 10 meters on front of you is skinny guy that haven't ate for the last 3 days and drooling all over while looking at you)
    but i can always plan for my fun and do other type of fun while "cleaning up" those guys.

*since saying more will make my dark side awaken i'll just stop right here ( ´ ▽ ` ).。o♡

lychee and bf like this.
  9. checkman123

checkman123 [Nez] [The Bystander][RAWR FEAR ME]

Reading List:
    Link
    I would do it at my own choosing. Since god exist here. It can deal with it lol.

10. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Do you agree with the doctor? Is refusing to save someone when you could easily do so the same as killing them?
    I strongly disagree with this here doctor just because I can save someone's life doesn't mean I should or that I have to. The doctor is clearly trying to pull on your heartstrings and be a complete and utter arsehole about it. Imagine replacing the kid with Hitler after he has started the full on holocaust? Just because I have the power to do something does not mean that I have any obligation to do anything with that power. I have my own life that I have a duty to live to the best of my own abilities. Further I can only heal in a 1 metre radius in this case that seems more like a danger to the people just on the edge of that radius then a benefit to the ones inside the radius and it does not help me live my life at all. Imagine what happens if they riot as they try to get closer to you... It would be a goddamned meat grinder...
    2. Does great power come with great responsibility?
    All power comes with the responsibility to not abuse it. Does that mean that if I could heal anyone who comes within 1 metre radius of me that I should heal them? The answer is of course no.
    3. Would you still want a crazy OP cheat power despite being presented with this scenario?
    Master dog already is a crazy OP cheat character?
    4. If you had the ability to heal anyone that you touch, would you spend all day in the hospital? Would you overwork yourself? Would you feel guilty about saying no to all the life-or-death patients trying to schedule an appointment because you’re thinking about going on vacation?
    No. No. No.

kkgoh likes this.
  11. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    If I given 2 choice between invincible but need to help other or immortality that can't interact with other except read and mainipulate information. I Will choice later without question, because I don't mind living until rest of life died and rebirth... Well at last I still can read novel even it from alien author

12. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it better to make a bunch of all healing pills and leave it for the doctor to distribute?

bf, otaku31 and UnGrave like this.
  13. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't if you're controlled before you even notice. Even if you manage to defend yourself against the first attempt, how many times can you last? The power doesn't work if you're unconscious. I can send people to harass you all day and night until you can barely stay awake. I only need to succeed once. There's a Chinese saying, "只有千日做贼,哪有千日防贼的".

14. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, this is trivial for anybody who read FUNA sensei's works. It is literally Kaoru's premise. I Shall Survive Using Potions!

There are so many other similar solutions. Make a pill-making machine that cures that specific disease.

If you have to touch to cure, then make an entire organisation just to organise who gets to be touched by my finger as I sleep properly. Then I don't have to be too bothered by having this power.

Creative thinking, people!

otaku31 likes this.
  15. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay, more people who sees ways to do it without being too bothered. (Sorry, somehow dunno how to have one comment to put 2 pages worth of multi quotes.)

Anyway, these kinds of problems are called trolley problems, and they were suddenly trust into "applied knowledge" when self-driving cars started to be built. Before that, people thought that they were only useful for teaching morality. So now, these have real world applications, and don't need to be a poll.

Sadly, the problems are totally not solved at all, and companies simply choose to implement whatever random choices they pick.

It is, however, quite important to keep thinking of alternatives. One faces the accusation of being immoral/amoral when one does not seek to use their given powers for good (and technically, that accusation is really sound. Even hedonists would use the powers for good, so really, there is no excuse to not even lift a finger at all). But it clearly does not need to be an overworking situation, so someone who can think up a useful third way out should be celebrated.

After all, anybody can selfishly proclaim that they won't save others. But when it is they themselves that need to saving, the empathy to be nice to the saviours and other needy people is much harder to come about. Somehow, though, the Japanese routinely demonstrate this particularly moral trait, which doubly worries people who know what kinds of monstrosities their forefathers did.

Like, in the modern age, there is really no excuse for failing to include morality in compulsory education. Because the only way to prevent otherwise morally upright people from becoming killing machines, is the active self-reflective doubting system to evaluate all actions, and all information sources. This is the true form of critical thinking.

lychee likes this.
  16. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    If I given 2 choice between invincible but need to help other or immortality that can't interact with other except read and mainipulate information. I Will choice later without question, because I don't mind living until rest of life died and rebirth... Well at last I still can read novel even it from alien author

17. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of these answers remind me of Scrooge.

lychee likes this.
  18. KazamaPro

KazamaPro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, im just balancing my thought from morality and desires. you want to have fun with your power. [absolute dominion] was a powerful ability, but it comes with a one meter radius limitation. hell no, im not satisfied with such small radius. within that one meter radius what can you do? just money, weapon (maybe), magic spell? thing that larger than one meter radius would be nothing but a dream and wish. why limit yourself with that one meter redius absolute power? thats my desire when im using power to have fun.
    onto my morality, when im knowing myself had good and bad, ofc I want to do bad thing that against your normal life (dont lie, everyone want to be badass.) and at the same time good thing like saving fellas (ofc, its not fun when you are having fun but then some troubles comes up).
    so within both my morality and desire, I want something that can help my power grow (area of effect, continuous growth etc) but at the same time help those fellas in need (and ofc potential harem members). then my aswer comes from greek(maybe?) mythology about world tree Yggdrasil.

bf likes this.
  19. Tim432

Tim432 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While i'm late, he can just get immunity to mind control, since he can do anything. It doesn't work if he's not concious? He can just make so that he never gets unconscious.

bf, lychee and ongoingwhy like this.
  20. KazamaPro

KazamaPro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    unconscious? smple problem. just divide your conscious thought into 6, and make only 1 go to sleep, rotational between those sixs. the other 5 can do task like watch the perimeter for immediate and prepared threat. as long as your conscious thought exist your power would still active.

bf and ongoingwhy like this.