Discussion You a Transhumanist?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AryaX, Nov 16, 2019.

?

How much of your self would you change?

1. > 0% of the body... but only the body...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. > 25% of the body... but only the body...

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. > 50% of the body... but only the body...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. > 75% of the body... but only the body...

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  5. > 0% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. > 25% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. > 50% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. > 75% of the body... with changes in the brain as well...

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  9. Nothing...

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If "scifi" cybernetics... Even a whole body replacements, like what you see in Battle Angel Alita for example, became available and the costs were within your means... What would you do? How attached are you to your current meatsuit and form?

If there were cybernetic implants that could replace parts or even the entire brain, with far more powerful equivalents, but the question of soul/consciousness... remains controversial... Some think these run the risk of turning you into a "philosophical zombie", while others think thats just ludicrous fear mongering... Either way... If "you" disappear... There is no way for anyone to ever know for sure...
    Would you risk it?

2. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    If it make me different than human, i will take it. Since it's still count as human , NOPE.

3. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more of medical transhumanist. I'd mainly want to use them for medical reason like replacing lost limbs or when hip replacement or spinal replacement etc.
    All though I do know when it become available some people will change to them without needing to and that's fine as well.

4. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming it's tested properly and isn't experimental, I'm completely fine with cybernetic enhancements. Vr with your brain powering the graphics, sign me up. Cybernetic eyes so I can just turn on AR assistance whenever I want and flip to night vision when the power goes out? Hell yeah.

Cybernetic arm I can use to house power screw drivers and a soldering gun for electronic repair/hobby crafting and never need a tool box.... Perfect.

GDLiZy and Emilyl like this.
  5. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on how well the protection is. Ghost in the Shell is an example: people can mess with your cyber brain.
    Replacing your brain with a cyber one is usually a bad idea.

6. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll definitely go for at least bionic eyes and neural implants. :aww: I don't mind getting more implants but they're not necessary for daily life, so it feels like a waste of money. :hmm: Maybe I'll replace my arms with a cybernetic ones that let me type faster. :cookie: I am completely fine with replacing more than 75% of my natural parts. :blobpeek:

7. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. I would 'upgrade' a lot. If possible i want to make it so that sleeping for an hour is equivalent sleeping for eight. Sleep is good, more time is also good.

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I’m all for Cyberpunk 2077 in reality. Let’s do it! ... Though to be clear transhumanism doesn’t begin and end with cybernetics. Biological advancements are also a consideration. Are you telling me you aren’t on board when there’s a medical “cure” for aging?

ongoingwhy likes this.
  9. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind turning myself 100% but i do want the option to shut myself off if I'm tired of my existence.

10. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine, there are lots of people who would be strongly vocal how abominable it all is... and some of those would "discreetly" go get their anti aging treatments...

Westeller and Toralk like this.
  11. Algoz

Algoz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wouldn't mess with my brain.
    I think the most useful ones for me would be a spine, pelvis and legs (that can take a LOT of weight) and some sort of sensor (eyes? ears, I don't really know) that can monitor my health and of other people.
    maybe the legs can have special equipment and compartments to use in my profession? kinda hard to decide

Sheri_Yui_Chan likes this.
  12. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe there is no way to stop aging, unless we removed all those that made up from cells and become Hi andromon.
    The most optimum condition imo is changing inner organs with cybernetics organs. Failing liver, change, kidney damage, change.
    We slow down natural aging. Delay death.

13. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine I could go even for a full 100% body replacement... yet, while there could be huge potential in replacing some parts of the brain... still... I am sure that "I" am in there somewhere, and if what ever part of the brain that "I" am in, is replaced... "I" won't be there to notice and to put my self back in again... That is a bit worrisome...

14. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Only for medical reasons. Why change something that potentially could become an issue later on. Though I wouldn't change anything, I can still see why someone else would. I won't judge someone if they had swapped out a limp or two for cosmetic reasons.
    And I think that adding the moniker of Transhumanists on people that have machine limps, could potentially create a divide in the populace. Since they aren't humans, they are transhumans or machine men.

15. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's just say if I can transcend my cosciousness into a digital form - I WOULD GO FOR IT.
    If it is only modifiyng my flesh with dubious untested tech with lots of possible health issues - screw it.

16. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    Only the brain. I urgently need some grey matter

17. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna be RoboCop so bad, I am willing to destroy nations for it~

18. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, we have the old Ship of Theseus thing. Does it stop being you if you change it enough? Hmm. I'd like Augmented Reality and some thought controlled stuff, but to be perfect honest I absolutely would not trust a goddamn corporation in my brain. At the risk of going tinfoil...

These evil bastards can't even be trusted on my phone, let alone having access to my literal thoughts. Can you imagine that shit? They will absolutely find a way to monetize your thoughts, too. Throw in some uninterruptible ads when you get a grumbly tummy and suddenly MACDONALDS™ IS HAVING A SALE ON INSECT BURGERS™!!! with an annoying tune blasting into your head without your control, burned directly into your memory without a way to get rid of it, like when you get a song stuck in your head x99. They'll find sneaky ways to keep tabs on you, too. Oh my, that's a dangerous thought you have there, citizen #116,334,673, lets just do something about that for your own safety.

Oh my, restricted-citizen #116,334,673, your CyberBrain™ usage has been restricted for repeated crimes. Reason: humming the macdonalds ditty without purchasing the 24hr reproduction rights that come free with the ALL NEW INSECT BURGER™ MEAL DEAL™ WITH A LARGE MONSTER ENERGY™ DEWRITOS™ FLAVOR UPSIZE! terms and conditions apply, only available at selected stores.

Or maybe I played too much syndicate as a kid and then got obsessed with that whole horrendous corporate hellscape future.

AR/VR would be mad as heck though, hook me up! Just stay out of my grey matter.

19. Sheri_Yui_Chan

Sheri_Yui_Chan Fighting my final semester battles ⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    I support it for medical cases like prosthetic limbs arms , cochlear implants etc.

20. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I don't really want to live forever. As equipment, I will use it, transplant only when I am amputated because of accident. Full body mod to live longer,nope.

I value my mortality that much.