News Chinese government cracking down on web novel sites

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Eishun, May 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where can we find the raws of the deleted novels now that they've been purged on qidian?

baka8roukanako likes this.
  2. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    #inb4ChinaOnlyLetAuthorMakeProsecutionOrCourtTypeOfStory
    #onlyDramaIsAllowed

3. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is how these types of purges and censorship works.

It starts from somewhere up the top and they would give the guys on the field something of a directive. Except that they aren't very clear on the limits and what exactly they are looking for. The guys on the field would have little guidance other than "don't screw up" and even their superior isn't really sure.

So they will swing their hammer on the "better safe than sorry". Ban everything as long as they feel it might be relevant. No religion? Journey of the West? Banned! Daoist people? Banned! Fictional Church? Banned!

After a while, people (with big connections) complain or appeal or the situation changed whatever then they would softly ask their superior, who would then ask their superior for clarifications and then they would unban some works. Then based on these new permissions then they would allow new works to squeeze in.

It would be highly unlikely they would unban the banned works even if the banned works didn't really merit the ban. Because the guy unbanning the works would be responsible for it. So unless the authors have big connections and can ask for clarifications then they can only wait for the storm to pass and write something similar at a later point.

0000000 and philosopher17 like this.
  4. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    So a new title with similar or identical story is probably okay? As long as the upper officer doesnt double check~
    :blobjoy:

5. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you can't rip the old story and change the title. Someone would voice it up and it will get the ban hammer.

What you can do is to steal the story, change the names and the settings and sort of bastardized it and make it shine a bit. Overall, unless the story has to go through a check of some sort. Then the guy doing the checking would be responsible. Still they tend to fuz it a bit because the storm has passed and nobody would care.

6. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    With the censorship going on is reading CN novels still worth it? :hmm:

7. Shavanna

Shavanna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some years ago, i read an article that said, china has only a single soft power: chinese cuisine. I think, they really detest to have another one in the form of novels. There are many people around the world, who like to read e.g. xianxia novels, but now they ban important elements of them? It feels like the last breaths of the DDR (former german "comunist" republic) 30 years ago.

0000000 and baka8roukanako like this.
  8. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp ... not to get too political. But if this can happen to a certain ethnic community in China, then novel censorship is probably nothing in comparison.

CN webnovels might go the same route as the CN film and music industry ... constant knee-capping and censorship results in lackluster propagation and sales.

9. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    while i don't condone what's happening, but come on.
    why even bring that up. china have always been communist

that's like saying a tiger is a bad animal because it eats living creatures

10. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The funny thing is that when South Korea was under a military dictatorship they deliberately avoided censoring things for non-political reasons (i.e. sexual or violent content) to serve as a distraction to the populace and give an illusion of freedom.

An apathetic, apolitical, contented populace is great for authoritarian regimes because they don't care enough to rebel and let officials get as fat and corrupt as they want. But for some bizarre reason Xi wants over a billion people politically active and attentive.

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't that Chinese censorship exists to maintain control since it doesn't achieve anything of the sort. It's mostly there just to make government officials feel better so there isn't a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it.

12. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, i wonder whats left on qidian after the crackdown then if they dont allow so many things
    maybe 90% of the stories there will be gone for good

*edit
    this one thread starts at may..... means the crackdown is over a long time ago zzz

i hope some mods lock this thread, its no longer news at this time

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  13. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The crackdown still goes on, comrade! Continues revolution! Your rightist leaning is truly worrying! A good struggle session will cure you! :blob_grin::blob_grin::blob_grin:

14. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what?
    wow its been 6 month and its not over yet o_O
    idk if you can call it crackdown anymore

15. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wrong. China has been Communist only since they took over soon after WWII when the Nationalists were distracted trying to fend off Japan while the Communists used that chance to gather power. And following the changeover, like the aftereffects of the Paris revolutions, the people ended up starving and oppressed due to corruption and patriotic but ill-advised domestic policy up until Mao Zedong died in the 70s.

After that was a relaxation of xenophobia and wealth started coming in from outside as China started modernizing and democratizing up until the 1990s when China tightened it's authoritarian grip.

But before all of this ( from 1912 up until 1949), China had transitioned into a Republic from something like a Monarchy (4000 years of different ruling groups marked by Dynasties).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  16. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ....im just going to add you to my ignore list because you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing

not to mention that your point is an utter waste of bandwidth because if you want to technical, then china never existed before the xinhai revolution

17. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing? No, I'm correcting another attempt to revise history by exposing the truth. I mean, for today's Chinese to disavow the China that invented paper and fireworks just because it was knocked over and stepped on, that's plain sad.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  18. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The crackdown will continue for as long as Xi is in power.

19. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe a crackdown that shows up in the Guinness book of world records because of the duration? XD
    i see your plan china!

20. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Inb4 something something.

Well, we can see how well the efficiency of the CCP in swinging their hammer, much like those other big body govts, like a crippled old geezer on a wheelchair.

That being said, lots of sad with the ban hammer. Yes, most CN works I read is repetitive, nationalistic and over the top narcissitic, but they somehow also stroke my ego in the right way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.