Wuxiaworld Karma

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nargol, Nov 17, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol here I thought karma was for a game they are in collaboration with

Wujigege and Nargol like this.
  2. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    While I also believe in the power of the market to some degree, that only works if there is substantial competition. WW and Webnovel only compete with each other, and even that is pretty limited. Since they don't have competition, there is no one to replace them. Since no one will replace them, they can do lots of shady shit and get away with it.

The fewer competitors there are, and the more successful a company is, the shadier things will get. This is an inevitable truth. Besides which, not everyone agrees with or believes in your theory, which is also why many people do not care what methods they use.

You're a pretty "pure" person too it would seem

mir likes this.
  3. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Er, if you reread the post and found it actually surprisingly clear, maybe you should add a footnote to your original post. There has been a crazy amount of posts on this subject:

The four ways in which novels can be read via the karma system: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcement/karma-system-coming-nov-1st-earn-10-000-karma
    Detailed explanation of the karma system: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcement/wuxiaworld-ad-changes-future-reading-model
    Launch of the karma system: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcement/karma-system-live-free-launch-karma
    Karma gift for old advance subscribers: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announce...ce-subscribers-korean-novels-upcoming-changes
    Why is there a need for a karma system: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcement/please-read-input-needed-completed-novels

These posts are pretty darned long and go all the way back to this July, so dip a toe in at your own risks, everyone.

I wanted to respond in particular to the idea that Ren isn't involved in things or doesn't personally oversee things. FFS I sometimes wish he was more hands off, then I wouldn't be waiting on some STUFF FOR MULTIPLE MONTHS AHEM DUDE YOU KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS AHEM AHEM. :ROFLMAO:

As for the definition of spammy comments, we've targeting ones that go "xp" or "xpxp" or "gimme dat xp" or... you guys get the idea lol. Simple "thank you" or "thx" comments have always been part of the queue and they're all still there. All of the ones criticizing my novel and author are still there as well. All the ones absolutely trashing the karma system, the company, and Ren are also still there in the posts above. If we'd wanted to build a positive only environment, I'd like to think we would've started a darned long time ago.

Nepuko likes this.
  4. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shaddup shaddup shaddup . And besides, I would love for someone to take over the licensing stuff you are waiting on, but there’s literally no one else who can do it. You used to do this, would you like to take over this part? Paid position! :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, this entire thread is a nothingburger, tbh. There always has and always will be the function to remove comments, as multiple people have noted. All we have done is added some free rewards for good comments, and ensured that spam will not be the recipient of those rewards. What we freely give for good behavior, we can freely take back for bad behavior. Paid karma, obviously is different!

Before some people start talking about freedom of speech, that’s about governments. This is a private entity. Wuxiaworld is like your granny’s house. It is a warm, comfy, inviting place filled with love, and we always try to be as nice as we can. That being said, just like granny, if someone behaves rudely or insults others, we always have the right to ground that person or make them go home. Granny don’t need to put up no complex rules committee or add bureaucracy. Granny has always been nice and has rarely exercised her authority, but it remains hers nonetheless.

Behave well, get cookies. Behave poorly, no cookies. What is good behavior? That’s for Granny to decide, because it is her house and her cookies. In the end, either you trust granny or not :ROFLMAO: okay I’m taking this comparison way too far.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Jojofann, asriu, Dgsmasta and 2 others like this.
  5. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you asked, I'll update the OP. I was just being lazy.

Good to hear Ren is still on top of things tbh. As I said, I do have some trust for him.

As I believe I mentioned, I don't think there are any ill intentions behind implementing this system. I'm not concerned this is some sort of evil plan to police your comments. But I believe that is where things will almost inevitably end up, that you will face problems about this in the future, and that even if it does end up going perfectly fine, you'll still have people like me complaining about it.

I understand why you'd do this, but you really should at least write a guarantee the system won't be used frivolously, and is only meant for obviously spam comments like those you mentioned.

Nepuko and etvolare like this.
  6. rwxwuxiaworld

Reading List:
    Link
    FYI, we did write in that guarantee. It’s right in the posts, brother! I discussed it in the comments as well. It’ll be updated in the QA as well! Nothing in the culture will change, I promise :)

Nepuko and Nargol like this.
  7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I am human. I believe a human can do anything. There is nothing that restricts a human to do something good or bad. In truth, we are truth. The reality of everything, we shape it as we will. We don't actually create reality, we simply apply logic to it. Logic need not be for the good of many nor it be for the worst of most. Believe in yourself, believe in me! We are one reality!

Okay, that's enough caffeine for me. Need to get some proper rest.

Still, I think you're the purest of us all. Why? Only you find value in them - these companies' futures. Is it not because you expect them to be better, you consider the worst from them? The greater the hope, the deeper the despair. Indeed, such is an aspect of your craving. I think I know you a little more now. Not all of you, not yet, of course. It would be rude of me to tear open your soul. Consider me delusional to believe I can. Pray I am, if not, I might be your secret cheat in some another world fantasy or transmigrated cultivation world.

8. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    It's there, but that post will grow old and irrelevant quickly. Noting it down in a footnote in the daily missions or something would be better.

Anyways, that's good to hear. I'll take your word for it. In the end, I just don't want my outlet for frustration to disappear; I've been more active lately. Maybe a bit too mean in the lord of all realms comments too for that matter.

I've seen you around before so I already knew you were weird, but having you responding to me is even weirder than reading any of the strange things you post.

You're like that girl from chuunibyo demo koi. Except crazier and on the internet.

mir likes this.
  9. rwxwuxiaworld

Reading List:
    Link
    We do have it as a footnote in the daily missions, albeit that part focuses on not spamming. Don’t want to dilute the message. It’ll be in the FAQs though!

Just as a side thought - When frustrations are vented them out in comments, that frustration doesn’t really disappear; it’s just been passed onto the translator, who will read it and feel disheartened. I’m not talking about you specifically, mind, I don’t know what you’ve posted or haven’t posted. Just saying that in general, negative energy has to be purified from within rather than just expelled in the direction of bystanders :)

mir likes this.
  10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I'm not chuuni enough like those characters in that anime. The anime was good, cringed for some that can relate, but the drama was understandable. I have to admit, their delusions were more original than mine. Sigh. I can't even dream, just daydream. I'll stop here now, since it seems I'm hijacking this thread. It's purpose is already resolved seeing the replies from the actual translators?

Nargol likes this.
  11. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue this isn't about freedom of speech, but more about making sure you aren't dishonestly manipulating public opinion, which I argue would be bad for your company too, and making sure you agree that that is a bad thing. I don't think anyone disagrees that there is a limit to free speech when it's on someone else's site, and that you as a company have a right to defend and maintain your image. Part of this includes removing graffiti.

That's good enough for me I guess.

It's true. This entire thread really came from me realising I've been getting increasingly nasty concerning a certain novel, contemplating, and then derailing into this.

I'd argue it's only a problem if the weight put on the matter is great enough. No matter how mean I get, the emotional weight I put on WNs really isn't big enough for those frustrations to matter, at least to me. But putting them on TLs to whom they might be heavier isn't a nice thing to do.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    mir and Nepuko like this.
  12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought someone got karma for doing something bad.
    There really isnt any drama here what a shame.
    On the thread, I do agree, everything is foolproof until someone finds a way to exploit it and has the thread starter said
    this looks very easy to exploit but dont worry companies will always find other ways to profit.
    I believe that the karma system will be scrapped for another system in the near future
    and @Zheya is just a philosopher, asking lots of questions and providing zero concise answers just like human genre j doramas

13. heartentice

heartentice The One That Entice The Soul

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't like don't read, end of the question, just like qidian.Your opinion wouldnt change the site policy, people have their own life to manage, profit to rein in to. Im not really into profiting company that organize this kind of scheme to get more profit, but just boycott if you still not satisfied. Not pointing to anyone specifically.

14. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    Complaints do make a difference. Complaining is the ONLY way things change. Your position is one of laziness and settling for what you have. People like you are why the Roman Empire collapsed.

Not to mention, boycotting should always be a last-ditch thing. Why would I boycott wuxiaworld when I use their services and don't have particularly large problems with how they do business?

I don't know if the karma system will be scrapped or not; webnovel is a proof-of-concept so I doubt it will go away entirely. Or even change too much tbh.

As for Zheya... I don't know if I'd call him a philosopher. A philosopher has a Ph D. Zheya is the kind of guy you'd find arguing in the rick and morty subreddit. He has some good points, but he's too dramatic, too verbose, and pretty self-absorbed.

Whether thats just a character he plays for fun or his personality I don't know. But he's colorful, and pretty fun to have around. As long as there's not too many of him.

mir and asriu like this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, anyone can get a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy, from where I am from,and it is looked down on.
    About the karma system getting scrapped, my point is that pop ads were banned a few years back by even Google but now they are back and called "Overlay Ads" and promoted by Google
    Some other old revenue stream will become new again and will be adapted by websites.
    So I am not too worried.

16. rwxwuxiaworld

Reading List:
    Link
    RE Wujigege, karma aka 因果 is cause-and-effect; 因 means 'cause' and 果 means 'effect' (it also means 'fruit', hence so many Chinese novels waxing poetic about 'fruits of karma' and 'karmic fruit'). Karma is neither good nor bad; it's just cause-and-effect. If you do good, that good will come back to you in some form. If you do bad, the same. Hence, our currency is karma; do good (by supporting us either monetarily or with meaningful comments) and you shall receive good in turn.

RE the karma system, as I've said numerous times, it only exists to provide people who truly cannot pay a way to read for free, rather than just do a flat paywall, while still offering incentives for those who can to join a monthly subscription program. If it doesn't work well, WW will simply become a home of ongoing novels and all completed novels will be moved to Amazon.

17. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    Philosophy is looked down on in much of the world these days, sadly. Probably part of why it's all going down the drain.

I don't really get what you're trying to say about the karma system. You're jumping a bit, like you've had a few.

I think the karma system is a good one though, and I don't think anyone here has particularly hated on it? You're charging reasonable rates and giving people the ability to read without paying money. I consider what I've seen so far pretty fair.

I guess you must have received a lot of hate in general for not just giving everything out for free anymore, but I don't think you need to defend yourself here like this.

mir likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You are missing my point:
    I am not trying to defend myself and I dont think I have to either
    I am saying that if the karma system gets scrapped for all the failings that you are saying it has
    There are many options for Wuxiaworld, even options previously frowned upon eg pop up ads have been repackaged as overlay ads.
    What was illegal in 2009 is legal is 2019.
    I personally foresee the karma system being scrapped since I believe they are better options to monetize.
    Options available only to mobile apps are now being made available to Desktop and I see this trend continuing.

19. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure you're okay mate? Or did you just not read my post properly? I never said you were trying to defend yourself. I was talking to RWX when I wrote that, and it's clearly after I quoted his post.

I have also not particularly complained about the karma system in its entirety. I have only complained about one part of it. I never questioned the concept or its implementation in any other regard. Even if I have issues with connecting comments and karma, I think the way you make me sound come off as more harsh on the system than I am.

Other than those corrections, I see what you mean. Increasingly aggressive ways to monetize are an issue, but I'm hoping they won't be relevant here.

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha my bad, I read the wrong part.
    I guess I should have made it clear that I am the one who believes it will be scrapped not you.
    Overlay ads are less aggressive than pop up ads though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.