Field of Glory: Empire

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ai chan, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you heard of Field of Glory franchise? No?
    Have you heard of Field of Glory: Empire? No?

Not your fault. The company Slitherine sucks at promotion. Ai-chan wouldn't know about it too if it wasn't being sold at GOG.

Field of Glory: Empire is a grand strategy game that is very similar to Paradox's Imperator: Rome with one very big difference. It has the 'decadence' concept that can make or break your empire if you hit too much of it. It also doesn't have the magic of mana, so you won't dominate everyone by spamming mana unlike Imperator.

It was released two months after Imperator: Rome, but already it felt more complete and polished than Imperator: Rome. If you're trying to choose whether to buy Imperator: Rome or Field of Glory: Empire, take this one. No lags, low system requirements and no bugs at all (as far as Ai-chan can see). There's also a very wide range of difficulty settings in case you want a laid back game or have every AI countries breathing down your neck.

The game starts at 310BC, 10 years after the death of Alexander of Macedonia. You can choose any of the nations existing at that time, from the British Isles all the way to Western India (Maurya). As the head of state, you, make the decisions. Though your senators or tribesmen may tell you, "Dude, we want this place. Go invade it!"

You're probably thinking, "Hey, they've just given you a casus belli, go invade it." Yeah well, fuck that! You invade that, and you risk not only losing your entire legion like Varus did, you'd also probably have your nation splinter even if you succeed.

You see, this game is not all about wars. In some cases, you do not want to invade other people even if you know you will win. Because of one game mechanics: Decadence. Decadence simulates a static, unstable and brackish society where public order is bad and everyone are prone to corruption.

If you expand too fast, you will raise decadence. Higher decadence means more of your people become unsatisfied, your ruling party support becomes lower and lower, your slaves riot more often and your income is reduced too. If you expand too fast, you can hold a quarter of Europe for a couple of decades, but the moment your emperor dies, everyone breaks off and you're stuck in the middle of Europe with enemies all around you eyeing for your piece of land.

But you can stop this. Decadence can be managed by culture, and low decadence can give you progress tokens with advances our civilization. High decadence gives the opposite token which demotes your nation.

Each nation has 3 main tiers: tribal, kingdom/republic and imperial. And within each of these, are 5 tiers. The nation's tiers are upgraded or demoted based on their decadence tokens. If you expand too quickly, your bad tokens increase, and you will be able to see your large empire slowly breaking apart before your very eyes.

Ai-chan is currently playing as Rome and they have just constituted Marian Reforms after conquering that barbarian nation north of the Etruscans. Can't remember the name of some barbarian tribe. Emperor Juli Anus told Ai-chan to grab a part of Carthage because he wanted some piece of Carthaginian ass. But that empire is big and you have to cross the ocean which is their playground. Plus, that's a very well-defended area. It would take Ai-chan probably 20 years to wittle down Carthaginian defenses before Ai-chan can attempt a landing there.

So Ai-chan told the Emperor of Rome to fuck off. He did fuck off two years later due to an illness. Ai-chan swears that Ai-chan had nothing to do with it, despite knowing he's been ill for years. The emperor wants to see Carthage destroyed before he's dead? Heh, tough luck.

@kenar
    @Nyanko
    @Yukkuri Oniisan

p/s: Yes, it's sold at full price now... but there's always another route if you want to try playing it.

MrSplashy, Sabruness, Ignus and 7 others like this.
  2. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm I'll bookmark it and look at it when I get through my backlog of games. I wasn't very impressed with Imperator so it should be interesting to give another take a go

Ai chan likes this.
  3. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link

This? First time I've heard of it...
    Been awhile since I played Warcraft & Starcraft. Wait is it the same genre?

Ai chan likes this.
  4. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    that name though... Ai chan at it's finest again

Ai chan likes this.
  5. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, that's the game. The Samnites were tough and the Etruscans were rich! At the start of the game, Ai-chan had much difficulty killing them.

Warcraft and Starcraft are real time strategies. This is grand strategy. It's a different genre.

6. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, this seems like it's too good to be true after trying similar games. I'll try it anyway since ai-chan give it a thumb :aww:blobmelt_thumbs

Ai chan likes this.
  7. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    what's the difference between steam and GOG?

What the heck! The price is $39.99 but the price in my region is Rp170.000, so about $13 :blobsleepless:

Ai chan likes this.
  8. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan thought kenar-kun and maybe @asriu would find this game most appealing. It doesn't have high system requirements and can be played without lag even on integrated GPU. Its memory use barely goes beyond 1.5GB memory and its CPU use doesn't even touch 1GB if you cut down the antialiasing and shadows.

And now Ai-chan has reached the point where the Roman empire has gotten too big and Ai-chan has to stop expanding or the whole empire will break apart. There's still Macedonia to kill but at least Carthage was reduced to just two islands.

asriu and kenar like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    strategy huh... it remind me with romance of 3 kingdom... lel I miss ubul vs mingming duel scene 1 hit ko
    maybe later this cat still busy building Cat Empire on space
    hah I wanna some vacation
    fall asleep.png

Ai chan likes this.
  10. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan thinks the Romans like anal very much. Ai-chan's got emperors with names such as Marci Anus and Octavi Anus.

Shiki and kenar like this.
  11. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Might try it out since Imperator Rome is a bit disappointing for me.

Ai chan likes this.