Question Is return of the 8th class mage worth reading?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by giratina143, Nov 19, 2019.

1. giratina143

giratina143 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read reviews that are all over the place, but one review is giving me second thoughts about this.

It says the mc mc enslaves a fairy Queen against her will after she helps and orders her to protect his mother for the rest of her life? And there are many other criticisms too , but this one doesn't sit well with me. Is that what actually happens or is there more to it?

AntsCool likes this.
  2. 1Franklin1

1Franklin1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well MC loves his mother (a bit too much) and to keep her safe he enslave the fairy queen and she helps the MC's family. I read it till around Chapter 65 and wasn't able to read it afterwards.

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Its all in order for him to marry his mother lol

4. giratina143

Reading List:
    Link
    WAIT WHAT!? FOR REAL!?

5. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    no, not at all. They're joking.

giratina143 likes this.
  6. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Mom-con as fuck. Though I find the "smashing Ragnar's fuck face" to be a fun ride.

7. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only read a few chapters then dropped it. MC has a minus intelligence and questionable decision making.

8. ediav42

ediav42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Said fairy queen is around the size of a hand in her original form. She can also shapeshifter into a cat and other pink things. Basically MC initially went there to raise a fairy egg in exchange for flawless jewels (fairies in this world are all little women with wings and love shiny jewels and such, so much so that it is pretty much sex to them and having a flawless jewel would make their asexual reproduction go smoothly and also make them happier in their day to day lives; it isn’t an exaggeration to say they would enter a golden age with enough of them) but he found out he had the authority to command them and so left the jewels and took the fairy queen so he didn’t have to spend time raising a fairy and trailing her. Now the fairy queen is the strongest of her people but that doesn’t mean the others are pushovers. Not to mention that their home is obscured with magic and even if found it would require magic generally beyond the power of humans to breach it. Plus MC hasn’t mistreated her and even said if there is an emergency that he would go back with her to resolve it.

basically saying that it isn’t as bad as it sounds and it is a decent trade all things considered. Whether or not you end up reading it, this instance shouldn’t count as a reason to not do so

giratina143 likes this.
  9. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is pretty much what happens, although there is also more to it. From vague recollection, there was some point where the reason she was listening to his orders became voided, but she'd grown fond of his mother at that point so she stays. After that she's more of an ally/friend.
    As far as slaveries go (although I'm not condoning slavery in any form), this is a rather soft one. She doesn't actually have to do anything most of the time since people very rarely attack his family/home, so the biggest restrictions on her are just to stay in the area and in the form of a cat so his mother doesn't worry.

10. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "You can never love your mother too much"
    ~Noriaki Kakyoin

0000000 likes this.
  11. samzee

samzee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The mom part is somewhat minor but worth his consideration to protect (as his only family) so it was a neat plot hole that I like the fixing of. Other than that, it's a pretty good story. Give it a try.

12. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like you read a pretty biased review.
    It wasn't so much enslavement but more unfair negotiation. He had something they wanted no matter what and forced the fairy queen to guard his mother. It was a business transaction where he held all the cards.

The novel feels like a drag sometimes with a lot of boring arcs but it also has really interesting moments to make up for that. Honestly just read the first few chapters to get a feel of the novel.

13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It's okay overall, but translations became unreadable and I dropped it. Not sure if they improved or not.

As for the fairy queen thing, not exactly. They make a trade where he gives her what she wants in exchange for what he wants. The only disagreement happens is in the bargaining. But overall, the fairies are servants of dragons. So she becomes subservant to him due to that aspect. Even then the MC still promises to keep his part of the bargain even if he could get away without it.

Not to mention for faeries, human lives are short. And so far the queen has been more tsundare helping him out. At no point did it sound like she was really forced against her will fully.

14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I didnt read too far ahead but..
    His magic is too over the top OP that all his problem is solved with magic that have no forshadowing.. out of thin air..
    I dont like it where the MC is too OP..

15. AntsCool

AntsCool Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like most main characters...

16. giratina143

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, looks like that scene was greatly exaggerated by people. I just passed that scene and it’s not really a bad situation. The fairies are in no way at a disadvantage. They are getting a better deal in the end too. Maybe people don’t like how the queen is now ordered to protect the family, but the little minx also tried to manipulate the previously agreed deal. It’s not a bad situation.

btw, the novel finishes at 181 chapters? Was it dropped or cancelled by the author? Seems kinda short.