Discussion If you had the power, would you have stopped Rupert Murdoch from selling off most of the Fox Empire?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kadmos1, Nov 20, 2019.

?

If you had the power, would you have stopped Rupert Murdoch from selling off most of the Fox Empire

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Unsure

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have. It would have involved Fox News and the various Fox business or sports channels going to the current version of Newscorp Murdoch controls and the remaining Fox channels staying under 21st Century Fox (FXX, Fox Channel, etc.). 21st Century Fox was the parent company of 20th Century Fox until March 19th/20th marked the day the end of 106 years of Fox movie history as we knew it stopped. In other words, that was the end of the Fox Empire as we knew it.

Sure, Team Murdoch had the legal right to sell off most of that empire. However, that doesn't mean he should have. I am approaching from the standpoints of "let's keep as much of the legacy built our empire namesake, film producer WIlliam Fox, as possible" and Disney having too much control of the domestic movie market share (40+%). Heck, even the founders of 20th Century Fox (Darryl Zanuck and Joe M. Schenck merged the Fox Film Corp with 20th Century Pictures on 5/31/1935) would be disappointed in this. Even Walt Disney himself would be figuratively rolling in his grave at what his company has become.

It should have been Fox sold the F4/X-Men rights back to Disney then Disney gives them Lucasfilm. That way, 20th Century Fox would have as regained as much of the Star Wars movie rights as possible and would have a media franchise that could somewhat compete with the MCU!

My blog post here gives an even further breakdown of how I feel about these media buy-outs. Yes, I have no experience working dealing with mergers and a lot of my views are from reading stuff on-line. However, I would like to think that my points covered are sensible! Please take a look at it and tell me what you think: forum.novelupdates.com/blogs/my-take-on-pending-and-completed-media-mergers-or-buy-outs.2904.

The rant does list several brands or smaller companies that bigger media companies (such as Sony, AT&T, Disney, 21st Century Fox, and National Amusements) would have needed to sell off to buy a media company. You know, downsize a bit so they are not as big.

The film "Alita: Battle Angel" was the last film for 20th Century Fox (be it distributor or producer) as a standalone film company and thus the last film (be it distributor or producer) for the Fox Empire as we knew them!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  2. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not? Which of my ideas I proposed here seemed bad?

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting read.
    I’d probably sell it. The industry is being controlled by giants anyway.
    You shouldn’t double post though.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  6. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All I can say is... who?

7. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but this thread is more specific about the merger/buy-out!

In me wanting to make more interesting threads, I chose this! Yes, 20th Century Fox was financially struggling but I don't think it was worth it to the point of selling them off! Each of the former Big 6 (WB, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Universal, Columbia/Sony, and Disney) have had periods of financial struggles over the course of their many decades of existence!

otaku31 likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Monopolies are usually always bad for consumers
    Personally, I dont want anymore Avengers esque movies.
    I want stand alone stories of Superheroes who havent gotten a movie adaptation before.
    And maybe different styles instead of everything being so campy
    A down to earth superhero movie with almost zero intergalactical wars would be fun

By the way, will be interested in turning your thread into a blog post here: http://wujigege.com/?

otaku31 likes this.
  9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like NUF needs to put out a direct definition of what "double posting" means, since I've been operating under the assumption that it referred to the act of posting twice in a row in a thread. (the reason for this assumption is because that is the only case I've seen a mod warn me about double posting)

10. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    well, i personally hope that same things happen to every giant corps in murica. and then they decided to broke the market by sold their stocks less than 1 penny/ paper(stock), and even cheaper so that wall street became a history. :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::blobsneeze:

11. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    All i'm reading is" .... fox ... ... fox ... fox ... fox ... ... ... fox ... fox ... fox ... ... ... ... fox ... ...fox ... fox"

12. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone summarize in one sentence?

13. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me guess. You watch Fox news?

This. Honestly, I feel the definition of double posting depends on the NUF mod. Most sites seem to consider duplicate posts or elaborations double posts. But I know at least one mod prefers the edit button be used for everything, even if the two posts are on different subjects. I'm not sure whether quotes work properly if inserted in an edit though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
  14. SSMachine

SSMachine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, either way he's rich.

15. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    If you had the power, would you have stopped Rupert Murdoch from selling off most of the Fox Empire?

@chencking: I read more Fox News articles on-line than watch the channel. I do criticize them and CNN with snide remarks both on-line and in-person.

chencking likes this.
  16. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    if i had the power, i'd buy those stocks of FE and then move the HQ & main branch to my hometown in central most of Borneon Jungle. or if the local people willingly, to central of Amazon Jungle. last choose was, move em under Kilimanjaro. :D

or just move em to either of countries that wrecked by murica's influences like Iraq, Iran, Syria, Afghanistan or Palestine.

P.S: If I had power, I'd buy those stocks wit the goods on my Avatar also in same quality & quantity.

17. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fox had many good properties that didn't fit the old Disney style and even less the current trash that Disney is nowadays.

otaku31 likes this.
  18. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    What a mad lad, posting a discussion about double posting by double posting.

Westeller, Myself and chencking like this.
  19. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    if I had the power, would I stopped Dave from selling off most of his war-hammer collection?

Naw, don't care, Dave can do whatever the hell he wants

20. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    An FB lady friend wrote this early Feb. 2018 article: newsweek.com/why-media-mega-mergers-wont-benefit-you-and-me-799667. Disney controlling 40% of the domestic movie market share is roughly the same amount that film producer Wiliam Fox would have had in 1929 had he bought out MGM. Anti-trust suits, the 1929 Stock Market crash, and a July 1929 injury in a car accident combined were what lead to his media downfall: him losing control of company in early 1930 (think it was in the Spring).

Sure, the silent film and then nascent early talkie industries were quite different then. However, it is history repeating itself in that 1 movie company has too big of a domestic market share. The USDOJ struck down the monopolies/semi-monopolies with the dismantling of the Edison Trust, William Fox's attempted buy-out of MGM, and United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. Yet they are fine with the AT&T/WarnerMedia and Disney/Fox marriages? Lame!