Discussion An insightful article about the seismic shift in anime in the last decade

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Sabruness, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I came across an interesting article on the japan times EN language site and it was a very insightful read, talking about the generational changes in anime in the last ten years.

Some interesting quotes from it:

Dr_H_16, Kuro_0ni, kkgoh and 13 others like this.
  2. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The number of titles per year has almost doubled in the same time, from around 190 in 2010 to around 360 in 2017. And the total revenue increased.

So likely twice as many things for people to hate, twice as many to like...depends on your outlook.

anon, BigBadBoi, Arash1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    And because of that Japan needs to focuse more on quality and make more great animes

Dr_H_16, anon, lohwengk and 6 others like this.
  4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What shift? They're still making the same kind of anime they always have...

AkunDami, BigBadBoi, Arash1 and 4 others like this.
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    So does that mean they are going to stop the japanesification of everything? Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind if an anime includes japanese culture. What ticks the gears is when it is clearly forced into there when it makes no sense.

You know, kind of like MC finds a katana that slices through broadswords despite being made of same material.

And don't get me started on the rice, soysauce, mayo being the best foods ever

Dr_H_16, PaladinWolf, anon and 7 others like this.
  6. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that most of the great source materials have already been used. All the good manga have been made into anime and most of the good LN series and usable VNs. It takes years to build up a great manga or LN series but a couple months to put out a trite moe anime series.

Gin_Hindew, Innieminnie and Meloman like this.
  7. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link

I, I can't tell if your serious or not. Just look at MangaDex and see the amount of beloved manga's that got axed/never made into an anime, despite it also being a popular story in Japan AND be unique.

You're right about the generic moe/easy to make stuff, such as Isekai though.

8. Goki-chan

Goki-chan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want an isekai where a dude riding a Harley wearing the American flag as a cape gets isekaid and destroys a fantasy world with guns and eagles. Also introducing American cuisine like hamburgers and hamburgers or larger hamburgers.

or ride on king gets an anime

9. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as not another beta male character I will embrace this paradigm shift. I really hate beta male character.

Sabruness and anon like this.
  10. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    If it got axed then it wasn't popular enough for the publisher.

A discussion on manga copyright, cross media exploitation, and other associated topics, along with references.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17510694.2018.1563420

AMissingLinguist and Innieminnie like this.
  11. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, what the hell does that have anything to do with both mine and person I was replying too's comment? Things get axed all the time for different reasons, and it's been proven many times it's not simply because of popularity.

If you actually pay attention to user reviews across the board, both here in the West and Japan on axed manga/anime/novels, they can be extremely popular, but the publishers or author don't want to continue for a plethora of reasons.

Invisalats and anon like this.
  12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Great content is produced everyday. There is a reason Syosetu is so big.
    The issue is that studios are playing it safe.
    I don't blame them. It's either a safe mildly profitable anime or take a chance and go bankrupt

That article is very misleading.
    The mangakas are not exactly self publishing and turning their works into multimedia franchises they still need the big companies who decide the terms.
    The works that Disney own the rights to are comics from over 50 years ago.
    Japan was just as exploitative then and still is in some ways where "interns" get no credit for their work since they are just training.
    If it was the norm, you won't have mangakas dying from overwork.
    If a Japanese media company blacklists a singer for example she is finished as other media companies won't touch her.
    I am inclined to believe the same would happen to a mangaka.
    They don't have that kind of power that the article claims.
    When you add in the fact that Yakuza has hands in Japanese conglomerates, it becomes even harder to believe

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  13. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Article feels a little behind the times. Analysts, industry insiders and pundits have been talking about globalization of Japanese anime/manga for over a decade, and hasn't gotten very far. It's still very much manga/anime made by Japanese, for Japanese. Change is incredibly slow, and Netflix/Crunchyroll are doing right by providing some competition, even if their content still sucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Japanamerica-Japanese-Culture-Invaded-U-S/dp/140398476X
    This book pointed out some of the same issues as the article. That they've been trying to expand overseas.
    If I didn't tell you it was written in 2006, you might've thought they just published it.
    But despite Japan's massive creative content (much like Marvel), they've clearly had little interest/made little effort to expand to foreign markets. The industry has also had a wide range of issues including incompetence, inflexibility, huge IP problems, lack of financing, poor marketing efforts, etc. Echoes a bit of what @Wujigege was pointing out ... there are a lot of systemic issues.

People actually think "Pokemon" is an American word :rolleyes:

Wujigege likes this.
  14. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always wanted a real wild west anime nothing overly exaggerated nothing internationalized or sci-fi just a good ol' fashioned western

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    J novel got $165,000 in Kickstarter for a light novel. There is certainly a market
    I am so jealous
    Maybe I should start a kickstarter to Translate Yandere Loli Big Butt novel :blobsmirk:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quarkboy/invaders-of-the-rokujouma-print-edition
    upload_2019-11-21_1-27-58.png

16. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I watched anime for it's distinctive difference to Western animation and even the cultural aspects. If it is westernized then it is no longer as appealing as it will lose much of the flavor that attracted me to it.

17. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Two somewhat separate things, that’s why they were in different paragraphs. The second paragraph discusses various issues with mangas being used in anime’s.

Care to explain why publishers axed the mangas other than popularity? Mangakas cancelling it themselves isn’t it being axed.

Btw, popularity on pirate sites like Mangadex doesn’t count towards sale of the publishers mangas. Leeches don’t pay the publisher and mangaka’s bills.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  19. Bitty Kitty

Bitty Kitty Innocence ~ Purity ~ Hint of Soap!

Reading List:
    Link
    Bitty Kitty finds a nice corner of this thread to have a nap.

20. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t entirely disagree, having rights and powers, that if you exercise them effectively blacklist you as being uncooperative, affects your future projects with publishers.

However if a mangaka wants to burn some bridges near the end of their career, there is a lot of ways they can mess with publishers.

Wujigege likes this.