Recommendations Looking for unique novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Kalione, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Kalione

Kalione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As the title says, i'm looking for some decent reads but i have some special requirements.

I'm ok if the story is not translated as long as it is in chinese, not harem or quick transmigration.

I like entertainment stories, but not those currently being translated such as "Rebirth of the film emperor's beloved wife" i find the main characters too sue-ish for my tastes, but i guess i've read all the translated ones regarding the topic. But If anyone someone knows any story with an entertainment setting with a more serious undertone i would greatly apprectiate the recommendation. Isekais or virtual reality stories are also highly requested!

Some of my favorite novels:

- My House of Horrors
    - Omniscient reader's viewpoint
    - Female with no blending

Last reads
    - Dreadful Radio Game
    - Cultivation Chat Group
    - Trash of count's family
    -Transmigration: Raising the Child of the Male Lead Boss
    - In which the System(s) Torments the Protagonists: My Wife is My Life!

canaria23 likes this.
  2. ThunderingSnow

ThunderingSnow Sipping up a cup of chaotic good...and boba

Reading List:
    Link
    Try looking around wordexcerpt, fuyu neko, and shainag translations

Kalione likes this.
  3. Night Phoenix

Night Phoenix The *Eccentric* Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Forty Milleniums of Cultivation
    Cultivation but its sci-fi - e.g Space Ships, space, but with all the cultivation stuff, sects, levels.

MC isn't op most of the time

Kalione likes this.
  4. DunnoGoodUsername

DunnoGoodUsername Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Unique Legend
    Although I Am Only Level 1, but with This Unique Skill, I Am the Strongest
    Adventurer’s Unique Skill 『RPG』 ~With Only Using the Level System, I Easily Powered Up~

TaffyGirl13 and Kalione like this.
  6. Kalione

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much i will check it out

I already read that one till the current chapters, thanks

7. nigaria

nigaria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mmm from the ones you mentioned i've only read the last one so im not sure if our tastes coincide but in any case... with the word 'unique' the one that first comes to mind is the MC of Kusuriya no hitorigoto, which is... well, peculiar
    I love novels or mangas with 'acting' in it but sadly i havent really found one that is more focused on 'acting' in a satisfying way... you might like The former wife of an invisible wealthy man although there hasnt been much acting up to date so im not sure how it wil be from here on... (i sure hope there will be more acting ah)
    Although not a novel, I think you'd probably like P.A. (Private Actress), one of my fave mangas, short and complete, this one is all about acting (off-screen acting)

Kalione likes this.
  8. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if this counts, but this completed Chinese drama is set in the entertainment industry. It's really fun to watch, and it has English subtitles. MC isn't Mary Sue.

Kalione likes this.
  9. DunnoGoodUsername

DunnoGoodUsername Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    About the Reckless Girl Who Kept Challenging a Reborn Man Like Me. It's a great oneshot.

Kalione likes this.
  10. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    The ones that come to my mind are:

Translated:
    - Duke's Daughter Who is Liable to Die and the Seven Nobles - MC is reincarnated into an Otome Game as the opening Villianess. The difference is, this Villianess doesn't die at the end of the story, but early on, as it isn't just an Otome Game, but a Detective Horror Otome Game. The Otome Game has branching paths, with the Heroine having a secret backstory, while the Villianess character is always the first to die from one of half a dozen random Monster or Political Attacks that goes on in the school. The MC, remembering their past life as a child, but only knowing about half the things that could kill her due to not being able to complete her version of the game, starts trying to deal with all the issues that could end up killing her before she reaches the point where they will simply kill her.
    - Hero without Blood or Tear - A VR Story, but with a twist. It isn't a VRMMORPG, but a VRRPG. The difference is, the MC is the only player in his world, and everyone else is a character. The MC is number 1 on the leaderboards for points on a VRRPG Game that's been out for a few years, and despite MASSIVE time compression, hasn't had someone successfully reach the Good Ending yet. The Game Company releases a challenge for the top players to play one of the modes that was removed, starting the game as a normal human instead of one of the game's OP God Characters. The MC would rather just continue to try to get the Good Ending, but is bullied by the public into participating. Despite a slightly rocky start, he's quick to show why he's number 1 on the leaderboards.

English Origionals:
    - Mother of Learning - If you haven't read up to what's been written yet, you should. This is, essentially, a Groundhog's Day Story in a Magical World, where the Time Reversal is a month long. The story has the MC Grow and Develop both as a person and a Mage, and is one of the best stories I know of. Everything about the Magic System is explained to the point where others can easily create stories in the same world with the same magic system without anything being wrong.
    - A Practical Guide to Evil - MC starts as an orphan in a magical world where the flow of stories literally affect the outcomes of battles and even wars. She ends up being picked up by the Dark Knight and taught all about the rules he knows to exploit in order to keep the "Hero's" from breaking down the front door. MC proceeds to learn those lessons better than her teacher, and uses them throughout the rest of the story. And that's the first few chapters being horribly butchered.
    - Kousei Ishikawa is Cursed(?) - MC reincarnates from Modern Day Japan, Earth, to Modern Day Japan, Earth. The new one has a Skill System, though, so there's that. The thing is, the MC was also born with a skill that can't be read, by scanners or people with a Skill that allows them to read other's skills, allows him to see Youkai, and makes him seem like a delectable meal to said Youkai. Yeah, his childhood was NOT pleasant. Now he's moved to a new town and is beginning to learn things that he probably should have been taught much earlier, but couldn't due to nobody being able to read his skill. That's got to be a positive, right?
    - Wizard with the Flower Blades - MC attempts to start playing a VRMMO at his friend's request, but, while in he's in Character Creation, an Isekai happens and the MC wakes up underneath a massive tree, where he decides to have a nap. He's also a she, due to the body scanner for the VRMMO being set to female (my suspicion is that the clerk though that he was a she due to how effeminate he looks, and set it to female), but remains a Sword Otaku with overwhelming natural physical prowess.
    - He Who Fights with Monsters - MC wakes up to discover that he's naked, bald and somewhere in a hedge maze instead of the bedroom he went to sleep in. After discovering that he has a "System" by a pop-up, getting pants given to him by said System, and getting knocked out a few times by cannibals while he's trying to get a handle on things, he starts to actually get his footing and manage to start to come to grips and accept his new magical reality, though with some reservations. It takes a bit over 20 chapters for the story to properly get it's feet underneath it, but those beginning chapters also convey the confusing situation the MC finds himself in quite well. Has an unusual power growth system that isn't just "levels go up", and explains everything that happens well.

madvil and Kalione like this.
  11. Kalione

Reading List:
    Link
    I read The Former Wife of an invisible Wealthy man, it was such an aamazing read! Sadly it's a bit hard to find chinese novels in which the main character is not mary/gary sue. I'll try P.A and Kusuriya no Hitorigoto. Thanks very much for the rec :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  12. Kalione

Reading List:
    Link
    wow,thank you very much for the recommendation. I will definetly will see this one. It sounds really interesting.

They seem like really awesome reads. I will try them, but i must say the few experiences i had with english original novels were kind of bad so i'm hesitating a bit on starting in those ones. But thank you very much for taking your time writting the post. :) Likely, it will take a long time for me to run out of things to read.

13. nigaria

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll then recommend you Who Moved My Mountain as well, it's not entertainment world but when I was reading The Former Wife I found it funny bc it is similiar to it yet different at the same time, let's say in this one the one with the problem with ghosts/spirits is ML and MC is the one who deals with it, MC is naive due to certain obvious reasons but at the same time won't let anyone wrong her and will take her amusing little revenges

14. madvil

madvil Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets see

Isaac
    A terrorist is reborn in a fantasy world, and tries to live in peace but can't

The Rise of Otaku
    A town building and management by a Chinese otaku in modern-day

The Otherworldly Adventures of a Super Naive Girl
    An autistic/slow OP girl is reborn into a cripple pregnant and banished rich lady, so she goes and has adventures

The S-Classes That I Raised
    A f-level stat guy can boost up people as long as he says he loves them without them finding out it is necessary for the skill to work and how all the op people are in love with the guy(male and female) and fight for his attention

Those are the best weird and good that are also not super popular

15. nigaria

Reading List:
    Link
    i've recently read He's Mine, No objections allowed, thought you might like it. also entertainment industry, MC is a good actress but always plays villain roles so she kinda has bad reputation, but i like that when she falls in love she takes the initiative without being too aggressive but never passive, i like her personality, you can give it a try if you have some free time^^ too bad there arent many chaps out yet

16. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. midorimeii

midorimeii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to recommend Master Meow. I think it's a quite refreshing transmigration story, about a girl transmigrated and being kept as a pet by a giant cat. Their interaction is adorable. It's a relatively new novel though, the translation is still ongoing.
    The MC is definitely not a marry-sue and her goldenfinger is only the Male Lead.

18. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    I would definitely recommend Taiwanese light novels! They all have such fleshed out plots and great character development, each with its own unique little quirk. They're also all no-romance. Here are a few of my favorites:

Legend of Sun Knight (fantasy)
    Dominion's End (post-apocalypse)
    Yu Brothers' Case Book (mystery/supernatural, slight horror)
    Chen Yue Zhi Yao (fantasy)
    Unique Legend (fantasy)
    Illusions, Lies, Truth (supernatural, slight horror)

19. khakha

khakha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe......
    Stunning Edge
    MC is female, but not overpowered by ML (there is huge number chinese fmc like this, female mc can destroy kingdom but ML can destroy continent) .MC is at world rebel side but not blackheart/kill without reason (there is huge number chinese mc like this). She is nice but not too nice like saint.

20. sushirollw

sushirollw Active Member

Reading List:
    Link