[Poll] Would you sacrifice orphans for the good of humanity?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 22, 2019.

Tags:
?

How many orphans should be sacrificed to Hell to protect humanity?

1. No more sacrifices - Let the demons rampage on everyone!

14 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. 1 sacrifice per 1 billion people - 100,000X worse suffering per orphan

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. 1 sacrifice per 1 million people - 100X worse suffering per orphan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1 sacrifice per 100,000 people - 10X worse suffering per orphan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 sacrifice per 10,000 people - This is the current system (sacrifice 1% of the orphanage)

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. 1 sacrifice per 1,000 people - 10X less suffering per orphan (sacrifice 10% of the orphanage)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. 1 sacrifice per 100 people - 100X less suffering per orphan (sacrifice all the orphans)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 1 sacrifice per 30 people - Take babies from civilians to raise them as sacrifices

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. 1 sacrifice per 10 people - Take babies from civilians to raise them as sacrifices

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 sacrifice per 5 people - Take babies from civilians to raise them as sacrifices

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 1 sacrifice per 3 people - Take babies from civilians to raise them as sacrifices

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 1 sacrifice per 2 people - Take babies from civilians to raise them as sacrifices

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sacrifice everybody - Huh(?????)

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  14. I would resign from my job and quietly leave the Church

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  15. I would inform all of my students (orphans) the truth, and get fired from my job

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  16. I would inform the public that the Church is sacrificing orphans

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  17. I would kill myself rather than deal with this

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  18. I'm unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I do not wish to answer

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobcozy::blobcozy::blobcozy: Note: Viewer discretion is advised. Mature/disturbing content.

Once upon a time, you were transmigrated to another world of humans and demons.

The metaphysics of this world were such that for every human that exists, a demon exists. The universe maintains a strict 1:1 ratio of humans to demons, and the fertility rate of both species will adjust itself such that the equal ratio is maintained.

Millions of years ago, demons and humans used to be in constant conflict.

You know... stereotypical demons rampaging and terrorizing all over human society, blah blah blah.

The reason for this is that demons eat the negative emotions of humans (e.g. fear, terror, pain). Consequently, demons NEED to terrorize humans to sustain themselves, and to some regard this is the natural way of this universe.

Different humans taste differently to demons, and specifically pure-hearted and sheltered individuals who have never experienced the terrors of the world taste the best and are most nutritious. Corrupt and evil humans taste like poop (literally) and have very little nutritional value; demons hate it, although they will still eat bad people if they are starving.

+ + +

A long time ago, your ancestors solved the problem of constant wars with demons by creating Hell — a subterranean world underneath the surface where all the demons would go. There was an agreement between humans and demons. Specifically, demons would agree to never invade the surface (to terrorize the planet), so long as humans (specifically the "Church") provided regular sacrifices of pure-hearted souls to the Underworld.

It was determined that if humanity annually provided one innocent soul for every ten thousand demons to feast upon, the demons could come up with a way to terrorize that one soul (through extremely concentrated torture methods) to obtain the equivalent nutritional value of ten thousand ordinary humans' suffering.

This way, the majority of humanity could live in happiness and peace.

+ + +

Now, for various reasons, you are a priest/priestess in this Holy Church.

Most humans in this world do not know that innocent people are being sacrificed to maintain the peace of the surface world, but you know the real truth from your extensive religious studies.

The Church operates the Orphanages in this world. Approximately 1% (1 out of 100) children are orphans, and they end up being raised in an orphanage. Many orphans also grow up to continue into the Church system, an in fact over 80% of the clergy are former orphans. You also went through this path, and you grew up as an orphan abandoned at birth.

Currently, you main job is being the Headmaster of your local orphanage. You are the main person ultimately responsible for all the children (ranging from toddlers to 18-year-olds), and you are beloved by your students. You are something of a "Dumbledore figure" (although you have no special powers), and you grow attached to your children easily. Many of them are very eager students and overall they are really great kids.

Unlike the outside world, you completely control the whole nurturing environment of the Orphanage. The Orphanage is isolated from the outside world, and you make sure that the children grow up with a sheltered childhood without any exposure to anything evil or bad. Consequently, the children are very pure, innocent, well-behaved, and generally happy. Orphans are taught kindness, humility, self-sacrifice, ethics, morality, resilience, friendship, and pretty much every single value that you might associate with "good people". In fact, "being a good person" is the primary focus of education in the Orphanage, and conventional school topics like mathematics or science are only extracurricular topics.

Teachers in the Orphanage excel with non-didactic teaching methods. This means that there are very few conventional "lectures" or "memorization" or "carrot-and-stick" or "multiple-choice exams". Rather, the focus is on freeform experiential learning, discussion, case studies, roleplay, critical thinking, self-reflection, nuanced/gray answers, and weirdly designed polls — all while presented in a fun and engaging way — and tailored individually to the interests of each student.

There is actually a reason for this curriculum.

The innocent pure-hearted souls provided to Hell every year are almost all orphans.

The Church raises the orphans to reflect values desired by demons, and consequently a small number of orphans are sacrificed to Hell every year for the good of Humanity.

As the Headmaster of your orphanage — and you hate this part of your job — but you need to pick 12 orphans (they need to be one of the "best students" -- the top 1% -- in order to qualify) to sacrifice to Hell every year. This is because the local population of your city is 120,000 people, and the rule is one sacrifice per ten thousand people.

So... have you picked twelve of your best kids to sacrifice yet?

Of course, none of the orphans know that they are being raised to be potentially sacrificed, and it is unlikely they will ever know unless they decide to pursue a career in the Church like you did. Per Church policy, you are not allowed to tell the orphans about the secret purpose of the Orphanages, and the majority of your kids will graduate happily.

+ + +

Every year, the Church holds an annual meeting for all the important priests/priestesses. Since you are a Headmaster of an orphanage, you are considered "moderately important", and you are invited to attend.

This year at the meeting, some of the Church theologians (who have used scrying magic into the Underworld to study the demons for research purposes) collectively raised a complaint that they think it is morally reprehensible (and purely horrific) for one innocent Church child to bear to the suffering of ten thousand humans.

They argue that the burden should be spread out, and instead, the Orphanages should provide one sacrifice for every one thousand humans. This would result in a 10X increase in the number of sacrifices, yet simultaneously result in a 10X decrease in the amount of suffering experienced by each sacrifice.

In their opinion, the amount of torture would be better if it was spread out among more people.

However, when you consider the fact that only 1% of the human population are orphans, mathematically the proposed 1:1000 ratio would mean that 10% of all of your students in the orphanage (1 out of 10) would need to be condemned to Hell every year. Rather than choosing 12 sacrifices every year, you would need to choose 120 sacrifices — which also makes you feel slightly sick to your stomach.

Some orphanage directors (your colleagues) raised objection to the new proposal, and the meeting devolved into various other arguments over current policy, including:

• Minimum age of the sacrifices (currently: 13 years old)
    • Whether teenage orphans found kissing each other constitutes a violation of the "chastity" requirement stipulated by the demons
    • Whether the Church should pressure the Secular Government to ban alcohol and premarital sex so that additional sacrifices can be sourced from the civilian population
    • Whether sacrifices should be informed that they're going to Hell before they're brought to the altar, or if the "blissful ignorance" should be maintained as long as possible
    • Whether the policies to prevent selective favoritism by Teachers and Headmasters need to be adjusted...
    • Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

You were starting to get a headache.

Finally, the chairman of the meeting called everyone to order, started a vote:

"How many orphans should the Church sacrifice to Hell per unit population?"

Note A: Refusing to send any sacrifices and breaking the agreement is a bad idea because it would restore the world back to the state of demons rampaging all over. It is like having a perpetual constant war where anywhere can turn into a battleground at any time. Demons can spontaneously spawn out of thin air (e.g. under your bed, out of your closet, in your bathtub), and they are equally populous as humans. No matter how many demons are killed, demons will spawn as fast as they are killed, and humanity has never been able to come up with an effective method for fighting demons.

Note B: If an impure person is sacrificed to the demons, it is ignored and it doesn't count towards the quota. However, the demons don't give the sacrifice back. Consequently, it is advisable to make sure the sacrifices are "pure individuals" to avoid useless wasting of lives.

Note C: Demons prefer fully grown people as sacrifices (more meat on them), but they recognize that it is difficult to find older people who remain pure, since humans naturally get more corrupt as they age. Consequently, demons do accept younger people, but they do not accept "children". The exact line separating "children" and "teenagers" is unclear, but many theologians believe that puberty is the cutoff.

1. What would you do as the Headmaster priest/priestess in this situation?

2. What would you do if you were the Archbishop (Leader) of the Church?

3. If you were an orphan who found out about the truth of the Orphanages, how would you react? What would you do? Would you tell your friends and your classmates? Would you tell the general public?

4. If you were a regular civilian who stumbled upon this secret, what would you do? Would you oppose the Church's sacrifices of orphans?

5. Is it justified to sacrifice one person for the wellbeing of many others?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    NamGi, prongsjiisan, thepope and 2 others like this.
  2. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    Geh! LONG!!!

3. moonrune

moonrune Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the matter with you.

4. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does it have to be for the good of humanity? hehehe :blobspearpeek:

5. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the second poll ~ How many you going to create ?
    :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:

Arash1 likes this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you just watch/read The Promised Neverland?

Tumtum, Woho0, GDLiZy and 1 other person like this.
  7. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So... "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"?

8. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    She once hit 5 in a day iirc.

KizunaAi and Innieminnie like this.
  9. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    I found this is the 3rd poll I found today

10. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    So many questions... so little answers :hmm:

11. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    How many polls can we sacrifice instead?

TakenAway, Woho0, Geor and 6 others like this.
  12. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Important question: Does vaccination disqualify them from going to Hell?
    5d91df4687c77.jpeg

Ddraig, SenjiQ, Fleighfire and 6 others like this.
  13. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh gosh...this isn't a very nice poll..

There must be a better solution...bring back the wars.

Bring back the wars, I'm not cut out for hard decisions like these, especially when it's my choice and I know them and am attached. Just thinking about it is sending waves of revulsion.

3. If you were an orphan who found out about the truth of the Orphanages, how would you react? What would you do? Would you tell your friends and your classmates? Would you tell the general public?
    Shocked and scared, but also resigned and selfish. I would encourage my friends to start acting out and do so myself but wouldn't tell anyone. I wouldn't be able to look at the adults or the other children in the eyes anymore, understanding the necessity and my own cowardice.

4. If you were a regular civilian who stumbled upon this secret, what would you do? Would you oppose the Church's sacrifices of orphans?
    I would be horrified, but distantly- preferring not to think about it. After all, what can I do? Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I don't know. I'm not arrogant enough nor wise enough to even think I have the right to decide such things. It's a tough decision, and I pity the person who has to make it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  14. AntsCool

AntsCool Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow this Is a good one!
    1: nothing, sacrificing one for the good of 10,000 is a very good

15. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    " One solution for all, Nuke" -civ Ghandi

For world peace let's kill every one so I can 1vs 1 with demon.

@lychee I don't how, but you stuck me between hard choice and ultra difficult choice

AntsCool likes this.
  16. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sacrifice the church. if the demons are satisfied the religion is alright, and you can start training more priests

17. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This... This makes me no better than a criminal!! I quit this stupid church!! If they need a headmaster then someone else can take it! Heck, even the demons wouldn't be willing to touch these church people, they'll taste like poop!

Also, demons! Ur taste is crap! :blobupset:

If people need to be sacrificed no matter what, then an open policy is the best. Sacrifices should be willing, not picked like an unlucky lottery. A willing sacrifice knowing everything going to happen to them seems much "purer" (so they say) than an ignorant innocent imo.

As I said before, open policy. Tell everyone the fearsomeness of demons, the despicable acts the church has been doing so far. If they're not willing to sacrifice then at least light a fire under their ass so they can find a way to deal with demons.

Oh, also impose death sentence for people who commit heavy crimes. Demons number the amount of humans, so if the human is just gonna act like a demon in the first place then they can go meet their maker.

And! Limit people trying to have babies... Like FML, if there are that many orphans at my church wtf are you parents doing!? Stop abandoning babies at my doorstep!

Seriously, if everybody freakin worships this religion then have them ALL go through the same "nice first" education! That way, everybody can be "good" and for a much longer time! That way we can have like, an organ donor type system for people who pass away. Like, I'm willing to be tortured X times to save Innocents, ya? Lessen their burden!

The effect on society? Who cares!! If everyone is "good" then it doesn't matter! Is it so hard not to be evil!? :blobcurse:

The easiest way out would be to taint urself. Slather myself in sin and tell them I'm not tasty :blobwoah:

I'd tell close friends to get the hell outta there, try doing something bad, get bad grades or something. Then get the hell outta there.

A meager orphan can't move the public so it won't do any good informing them. Maybe leak rumors to the media but that's about all I can do, I don't want church assassins breathing down my back.

SAVE THE ORPHANS
    CRITICIZE THE CHURCH AND GOVERNMENT

Maybe instead of stopgap measures we actually try to SOLVE the problem, HMMMMMM??? :blobexpressionless:

If it's consensual then go for it! Sometimes sacrifice is necessary and one casualty is better than many.

BUT! CONSENT IS A MUST!! KNOWLEDGE IS A MUST!!!

People who choose to become organ doners save many lives. People like policemen and firemen choose to forgo
    their own safety to protect others. People with strong faith and devotion can stay "pure" their entire lives! Sacrificing innocent orphans is bs :blobtriumph:

18. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For each child sacrificed, 10000 humans are saved, but with each sacrifice, we lose part of our humanity. I'd rather all humans be dead than all humanity snuffed out.

19. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    But muh autism...

20. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ]1. What would you do as the Headmaster priest/priestess in this situation?
    Maintain the status quo. Although it is painful to sacrifice the orphans the other options are far worse.
    Again maintain the status quo. The orphans are, sad to say, people who won't be missed by society. Besides if the number needs to be increased by 10x it would become far harder to hide the truth from the public.
    Tell my friends and escape, but I wouldn't tell the public.
    No, war against the Demons would be worse than the sacrifice. I would probably volunteer at orphanage to be honest. If I could make their life just a little better. . .
    Yes.

tsubaki7569 and Woho0 like this.