Request Japanese

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Return, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey it has been 4years since I started to read novels but I ended up here wanting to learn Japanese enough to read novels raws as I got sick of slow translation and MTL SO IF SOMEONE kind ENOUGH to tell me where to start and to end to become able to read light novels as I was when I read them in English which is like thinking in English although it is my secondary language

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  2. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/how-to-self-learn-japanese.48839/
    My personal advice is don’t go with the expectation of being able to read LN’s any time in the near future. I spent my first two years learning to say “Where’s the toilet” in Japanese lol...
    Continuous effort and you’ll be able to somewhat read novels with a dictionary in around a year or so

3. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
  4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
  5. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just curious so I would appreciate if anyone can answer this, but do you have to learn a bit of chinese as well to read japanese raws? Cause some words will be in chinese form with japanese pronunciation (光 - hikari etc), or will the japanese raws be mostly in (hiragana/katakana - i forgot which is which)

SquadCammander354 and Wujigege like this.
  6. polarbot

polarbot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean kanji? I think sometime in japanese (hiragana, katakana..) this is hard to split the words (because it don't have space between words, for example : 'hellohowareyou') or some words have double meaning, that's why they need to use the kanji. This is just my opinion though :p. Oh right, kanji are also used to shorten japanese words.
    Also, in manga (and some novels), they will put hiranaga or katakana in small character beside the kanji character for japanese reader who are bad in kanji.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    SquadCammander354 likes this.
  8. Moongod

Moongod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i suggest to start with the books GENKI and GENKI2, they have a mix of vocabulary, grammar and kanji and when you finish it you'll have maybe JLPT 4-3