Your thoughts on the new Tesla truck?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Cutter Masterson, Nov 25, 2019.

?

What do you guys think of the new Tesla’s Cybertruck?

1. Incredible. Breaking new ground.

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Horrible. The thing looks like an 80s B movie reject.

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. It’s OK.

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. I rather have a normal truck.

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Affordable and practical.

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. I dont like how it looks tbh.
    I might get cut from the pointy corners.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    I stand by this being a joke until the actual thing comes about. If not, he must've smoked one too many blunts. Good for police raid vehicles or truck-kun killers perhaps, not much else.

3. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of Medieval kingdom Isekai setting, you will be transported to the future high-tech alternate dimension

Tron would be what I imagine

mir, elengee and Cutter Masterson like this.
  4. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most electric cars go 0-60 pretty quick these days, so 0-60 is not really a noteworthy point for vehicle manufacturers to tout about.
    Even a Model 3 accelerates faster than most sports coupes. I've sat in them.

Elon Musk is either hit or complete miss, hard to judge. Which is why TSLA has that crazy volatility.
    Model 3 was a success. But the Boring project was a utter flop, literally a last-minute railcar with an electric engine slapped on it.

5. IronValkyrie10126

IronValkyrie10126 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it and would buy it if I could afford it. It looks like it can handle rough terrain and crappy roads no problem.

6. IronValkyrie10126

IronValkyrie10126 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It looks like something from Mad Max. Lol

mir and Cutter Masterson like this.
  7. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    if i had the money to buy it, i would certainly buy it........but then again, if i had that kind of money i would already own a tesla........wich i don't

8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    A sporty style car, sure i can buy the 0-60. It's a little harder to believe an angular block like the cybertruck could do the same.

As a somewhat out-of-touch super rich guy with a penchant for amusing craziness, Musk is great. For anything really realistic and relevant to the normal person, it really is hard to take him seriously.

9. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't answer the survey, because I'm not planning on buying a pickup.

The price actually sounds rather good for a full size pickup these days, and the performance numbers are shockingly good (but of course reported by the manufacturer). Given the radical design, if I were planning to buy a truck I'd wait a few months and see what early owners experience.

mir and Cutter Masterson like this.
  10. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As pretty much every overmotorized electric car its acceleration values are pretty nuts. On the first hundred meters even the puny ones threaten Porsche and frens. You remember the small toy cars you basically sling shotted when you were younger? Thats what the acceleration of an electric car feels like. Nevermind a monster like that.
    That being said its once again an oversized piece of garbage and waste or resources which would be put to better use in better projects. Tesla is nothing special, and has a price tag surpassing what it is worth.

Cutter Masterson and Sabruness like this.
  11. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't like the color and front shape

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't it have to be an 18 wheel semi for that?

I can see plenty of applications for it, the low cost per mile can be quite tempting for many businesses who don't need a full semi.

As for no sidemirrors, first of all, Tesla has always unveiled all their cars without side mirrors, second of all, all automakers including Tesla have been pushing to eliminate the requirement for side mirrors for cameras for quite a few years. So maybe by time it'll release that will get finally done.

The price is pretty comparable to most trucks these days (they aren't cheap).

I wouldn't say that, there is plenty of utility and its basic and durable design means it'll be quite sturdy.

As for the stock tanking, that is nothing new. TSLA is probably the most volatile stock in existence, it jumping up and down at a heart beat happens all the time. Give it a few weeks for people to actually process everything.

The Tesla Model Y also had the stock tank on unveil. Then after they processed everything it went back up (then fell on different news). So again, stock is a terrible way to judge Tesla due to its high volatility.

13. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not the aerodynamics. It's just the fact that electric cars have much higher torque than gas-powered ones.
    You don't have a transmission, it's instantaneous acceleration.
    Here's an article describing it ... even the Tesla engineer basically acknowledged 0-60 is just a gimmick.
    https://auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-powered-vs-electric-cars-which-is-faster.htm

Yea unfortunately Wall St and media outlets have a love affair with showy CEOs that can hype up their products. They pull more money goes in, which generates more buzz, and it becomes a ridiculous feedback loop.
    The most obvious example is a certain US President. Say what you want about T***p, but the networks love him (in a monetary sense).

mir likes this.
  14. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Where is the 'It should be burned to the ground and the blueprints should be incinerated' option?'
    I took one look at the appearance and went 'nopenopenopenopenope' I want to look inconspicuous as possible driving around not call the attention of every mothaeffin hoe I pass by:blob_coughblood::hmm::blob_catflip:

Sabruness and Cutter Masterson like this.
  15. krossite

krossite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The specs, specifically it's "bulletproof protection" seems out of place for a truck. And it's relatively small cargo space in the back (foldable back covers often limit your carry capacity when you actually use them more than it might seems) point to this being made for city dwellers that can carry some small furnitures/cargos sometimes and can be use as regular family cars most of the time, and there's a market for that.

16. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Utility in the sense that people can use them properly for their jobs.
    I work in the construction industry, seeing everything from pickups to flatbeds to 18 wheelers. You don't need acceleration. You need effective load capacity (for all kinds of loads from refrigerators to sand, not just carrying a heavy weight), power, traction, and the ability to see where you're going (esp in areas filled with obstacles and humans, not just roads). Being able to put only 1 quad bike in the back (which is otherwise pointlessly kept closed with the retractable cover) is pretty useless. Having a low-profile aerodynamic front design reduces your visibility and makes it pretty useless. Have you tried driving low-profile sports cars off-road, or even on a construction site?

There's a reason why people continue to use U-Haul. They have workhorse carriers for all types of loads.

I know plenty of Tesla fans out there, not sure if you're one of them. It can get semi cult-like. They buy the Tesla flamethrower and other knick-knacks in a heartbeat.
    I've learned not to try to argue with them. Heck, I even market properties with electric charging capacity. I'm not opposed to making money off of them, but within rationality.

Maybe Elon Musk's only point for his truck is to sell to a subsegment of people who want trucks purely for sport. If so I can see this appealing to a portion of them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  17. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

You probably couldnt take one of these cybertrucks into the outback because either A) It would run out of power far, far from the nearest place you could theoretically charge it or B) It would probably end up broken by the absurdly rough terrain... terrain that's even broken rugged semi trucks. Bogging in anywhere during/after the wet season would also be likely.

Basically, this thing is for people who want a "truck" that they can use for groceries or maybe take a trip to just outside the suburbs. I just cant see it being useful for any real load-carrying or going anywhere that really earns the description 'off-road'.

18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    And a motor has quite a lot of power and torque, it's not just about acceleration. Though acceleration can make a difference if you are towing with a trailer as sometimes trucks end up accelerating too slowly when doing things like joining traffic.

The flatbed is bigger than an F150.

What are you talking about? It has higher ground clearance than an F150 too. It has adaptive air suspension so you can be as high and as low as you want. Max setting has it higher than any truck in its class.

And if it's like the Model 3, due to no useless stuff taking up the center console, you also have a bigger view of the road as well and what is beneath you.

It's not like I don't understand what you are saying, but do understand these things work both ways, just like there are cult following Tesla, there is also a lot of haters as well. End of the day, it doesn't sound like you actually looked at the specs or features of the cyber truck yourself to judge and just jumped to what you heard

19. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    This truck is actually a very utility type of vehicle.
    I also work in the construction field and your wrong on the size of the Cybertruck bed.
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/302489-tesla-unveils-cybertruck-f-150

Being in the construction field you also know of the constant problem of theft. Both a huge tool box/ container or in your truck. You don’t take and lock tools at home every night. It’s just not something you normally do on a crew. Unless you want to throw out you back. Having a secure bed to hold your tools is a god send, especially one that know one can see in or enter.
    Also the fact that it can tow a heavier load as a similar size truck means it can pull a bigger trailer to do the things you mentioned.
    As to the visibility. If you look at the test rides. You would see that the truck actual has better visibility than a normal truck.
    Before knocking on something and being biased just for superficial reason. Why not do some research.

kkgoh likes this.
  20. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    You know a gas powered vehicle would have similar problems. But than again with solar power does the truck have a range limit.
    As to it’s rugged spec. It’s a tank. It’s the definition of rugged. Being an electric vehicle will also have less moving parts. Less wear and tear. Over all less parts in general.
    As to bogging down. A normal truck would have similar problems. The difference lay in the spec. The Cybertruck out performs its competitors.