Discussion [D]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ExcitableFoci, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Out of sight, out of mind basically. Putting it extremely briefly.

But during my schoolyears, calling someone gay when trying to make fun of someone was pretty common (especially that classmate who really got along with a group of girls, and knew a lot about various things to talk with them about, unlike the other classmate who was very good at just making them laugh)

As for it in games / manga / other media... I pretty much stay away from it.
    Games, if there's a gay romance route, I never do it ( I never play the games enough to do all the routes anyway)
    More specifically R-18 games, unless they're text-only and possibly have m-t-f transformation, I stay away from it, if they do, I might do it for the completionist in me, but I never really focus a lot on those scenes, just get it over with.
    Manga.... I pretty much automatically erase 95% of all yaoi from my interest just seeing the tag. Out of the remaining 5%, maybe 1-2% are actually something I might sometimes read if I find something, but I sure as hell ain't gonna search with the tag for anything.
    Novels ? I actually filter out yaoi tags so... yeah

Do I personally find the idea of trying it out nice ? No. I just can't imagine me in such a relationship, nor anything really about other men that would entice me to change my idea of it.

So my idea is pretty simple. You can be whatever you want. Just don't bring it up in front of me. Would I treat gay people differently ? If they flaunt it, constantly bring it to my attention or try to get me interested, then pretty much yeah. If they keep it low-key or I never find out about it ? Then probably not.

If there anything my society has taught us, it's that we just don't interact with random people we coincidentally meet, unless we've already met some times before, or we have some other connection. Friends, relatives & acquaintances is dependant on whether both parties have time to talk, how long since they last talked, how much has happened since and how well they get along. If they just meet on the street, but both seem to be busy with other people, we just nod to eachother or greet eachother and move on.

tl;dr . In my current state of mind, I have no inclination whatsoever to think fondly of yaoi , indulge in yaoi or actually discuss yaoi with someone who likes it, unless doing it somehow turns them into very pretty women and wipe out my memory of them ever being men (though whether that's actually something that's been discussed by psychologists and named as something specific and what that would imply for my character is unknown).
    You want to be gay ? Your choice. You want to be gay with me ? Fuck Off.

Double standards is one of the most well-known traits of humanity. Along with selective memory loss or ignorance. To be fair, it is somewhat different when it's two people of the same gender compared to one of each gender, but feminism is striving for more than equality, because if it was, then I would suggest to name it to something else to begin with, and secondly get rid of all the people who take it too far. Most men have learned to shut up about ludicruos chauvinistic ideals or statements, because they sure as hell have learned that it's a very bad idea to say somewhere where someone else can hear. But extreme feminists still exist, and their statements are supported.
    You want equal payment because you're as skilled a worker as men or because you're a woman in the same workplace & career as men? Think there was actually a Judge Judy episode where she was interviewed by a feminist who want to talk about her cause, but JJ described her situation as a judge, who happened to be female, instead of a female judge.

Bit of a rant towards the end, but it's about hypocrisy & double standards, and there can always be more discussion about that if someone's interested.

Astaroth and Delirious like this.
  2. FLUFFKING

FLUFFKING Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I don't really care about this whole gay/yaoi lesbian/Yuri type of thing just don't be the kind of person that force the sh1t to someone face when they guy clearly don't like it.

Delirious likes this.
  3. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Miss me with that gay shit.

4. Ak0w

Ak0w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gay relationships disgust me. In fact All relationships disgust me gay, straight, bi you name it, it disgusts me. Because they’re a constant reminder to the fact that I’m not in a relationship and probably never will be :cry:

5. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    no, i totally agree bro

6. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    In the purely fictional sense disinterest, more than anything. But I feel that way about Yuri too ... so take that how you will.

In terms of reality, mostly I'm against PDAs of most kinds anyways. Maybe the best way to put it is if as a parent you wouldn't do it to one of your kids publicly you just shouldn't do it publicly. So hugs, hand-holding, and non-lip kissing are okay.

As to why so many people are more disgusted by Yaoi than Yuri I've always thought it played more into elements of dominance and perception. Coupling the idea that most people think Yaoi relationships all fall into a top/bottom relationship all the time and the fact that anal in general can be considered an act of dominance it combines to create the idea that the partners aren't equal. And when you consider most relationships of that type are boss/employee, teacher/student, adult/child ... well you see the trend. Not saying that perception is right or good or even wrong for that matter, I mean I doubt that is what Yaoi relationships are actually like and even if some are I would be greatly surprised if it was the majority, but I don't actually know so .... Just saying there's a layer of subconscious thought there that probably makes those comparisons and informs how people react.

7. mangoberry

mangoberry beatsaber is too addictive...

Reading List:
    Link
    regular bl is way better, cuz if im viewing yaoi, its hentai and if my parents find out im looking at that stuff my internet access will probs be literally gone

8. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel that Epstein did not kill himself

Delirious likes this.
  9. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not into the stuff nor am I into yuri or gender-bending or threesomes/orgies. Honestly it is hard to express such disagreement without being deemed "homophobic".

10. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    Not my type. I still prefer male female relationship.

11. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For those crying sexism or homophobia, the same argument can apply for a "As a girl, what do you feel about yuri?"-type thread. Hey, there are some LGBT people not into yaoi/yuri or even straight relationships being shown in fiction. If a gay/bi/lesbian/pan person can be into yaoi/yuri but not like harem or standard guy/girl stories, then a straight guy like me can be into harems and standard guy/girl stories but not like yaoi/yuri. These -phobic labels go both ways.

It is also because I am somewhat conservative that I am taken aback by yuri/yaoi. However, I am not into the 3-some or orgies that LN/WN have. Now, a guy making out with a girl in 1 chapter then another girl in the next chapter, sure.

Some harems I don't follow, namely the ones where the main love interest is a blood-related sister or step-sister. An adopted sister (I am an Eren/Mikasa shipper) is on the fence. Now, a first or second cousin (I do also ship Kirito with Leafa at times) is something I also am part of.

The harems where the guy rapes his love interests is what I also don't like. Sure, some harems has a guy copping a feel on a woman's chest and he goes out of his way to do it. While this is sexual assault, sometimes the girl rightfully beats him up for it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    GDLiZy likes this.
  12. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    its an abyss that will corrupt your soul and the damage is irreversible.

13. orig27

orig27 Everlasting Monarch

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't watch it so idk; but good luck.

14. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    I find this reasoning the most logical explanation and makes the most sense to OP's question.

Yeah me too. The synopsis would look really good but because it's tagged 'Yaoi', I can't read that novel at all...Feels so frustrated over it since I'm running out of books to read.
    So damn true. It happened to me before. I found a good book and read it. Becomes really engrossed into the story, and suddenly the male MC starts having heart thumping moments towards a guy, and I was like WTF?!

Although I wasn't very comfortable with it, I continued reading cause the plot had hooked me. But then midway, the MC starts snu snu with the guy, even when there's dozens of other girls character in there for him. Turns out the main coupling of the story is a MxM relationship and I just couldn't stand it happening so I quit reading immediately. It makes me lost all the joy of reading that book. So from than on, I pay very close attention to book tagging because I would never want to experience that awful memories again.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  15. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm completely fine with it if one of the males is a trap. I'm not too sure about two dudes making out with each other though. I'm sure that I'll be okay with it the more I see it.
    It's funny how you can easily get used to things as long as you're open to things.

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume it's the same guys feels about lesbians so I understand why girls like yaoi.

I don't want other dudes in my fantasies. Self insert works only if it's one dude
    Lesbians are great in theory but not in practice since I want the girls to be interested in me.
    Wouldn't read them(yaoi) even if I am paid.

Cheers!

Nyann likes this.
  17. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    As a guy who is, in fact, gay, I'm not actually that big a fan of BL novels if I'm being honest. Usually, it feels like the MC or ML is either in the category of seme and uke, and yes while there is the concept of top and bottom they're really just preferences and not that indicative of personality in the same way. IDK I just haven't found a BL novel where I found the interactions to be as thought-provoking, funny, or as interesting as, say, Bakarina, The Abandoned Empress, Observation Record, etc..

From what I've seen the most BL tends to focus more on the romance than the actual plot, which I find to weaken it overall.

For example, one I kinda liked, Reborn as a Good Child where the MC gets sent back to when he's a child after he died wasting his family's goodwill and fortune. The MC was originally a spoiled kid, so when he gets back shouldn't that send ripples? For example, maybe he unintentionally caused drama between family members, caused problems, or unintentionally created friction which wouldn't be present since he's different in his second go. Or perhaps he's able to pinpoint things that would cause trouble later and solve them? This could feed into his (already pretty bad) guilt complex and the family members that would try to cheer him up unintentionally make it worse because the good things they do for him would serve as a reminder of what he messed up the first time around.

There's also Death Progress Bar which I also really liked however I found it strange that the premise was the MC trying to avoid ruin at the hands of his brothers after his father died, but most of the chapters I've read so far were about him and the ML and a criminal organization sublpot. Don't get me wrong I love the ML, but as someone's noted on the spoiler forums the criminal subplot was arguably the least interesting thing about the novel. Sure, the brothers drop in time and time again and have a lot of importance, but with the premise they gave it feels like they should've had a lot more focus than they currently do (though please note I'm only partly through the whole thing so I'm subject to change).

IDK maybe I'm setting up my expectations to high? Either way I'll be crossing my fingers to see the "Bakarina" or "Abandoned Empress" of BL novels.

lychee likes this.