Recommendations Perfection

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Laconix, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Laconix

Laconix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think part of the reason is because of my personal morals. I want to be loyal to one person.
    Part of the reason is because I'm jealous about how lucky these sons of b****** are having so many attractive women with them *cough*

In terms of conclusion harems often lead to an inconclusive ending where protagonist either doesn't choose (then I start to think why they don't just add more women to the harem) or they choose but then the reader to become dissatisfied with the end result (which often leads to fans having a war over who the best waifu is).

In terms of story I feel that harems give the impression that the only relationship between protagonist and female characters are of a romantic or sexual nature. It often leads to a feeling that the female characters are hollow- female characters are defined by their relationship to protagonist. Instead if their storylines can be written in parallel or like a web, stories intercept at certain points, it would allow a lot more character development and world building. When a female character enters a harem their story either stops or is hindered by the main story. Harems add many unnecessary "lewd" situations and side stories which I consider fan service and disrupt the flow of the novel.

Conclusion:
    real life harem- yes yes yes
    fictional harem- tell me who this lucky m*****f***** is so I can kill him

FearedPotato likes this.
  2. Laconix

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I didn't know reading lists were a thing... I'll try to make one now thanks:)

3. undercoverjunkie

undercoverjunkie Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh didn't mean to bother you if you don't have one, just prntscr()com/q1fxua made me think it was just hidden....

4. Laconix

Reading List:
    Link
    ? I'm confused is there a way to make one without making a thread?

Just starting navigating the site...

5. undercoverjunkie

undercoverjunkie Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  6. Laconix

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I'll start making my list

7. Laconix

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have a list? Can I see it?

8. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... This is quite a biased perspective. I'll give some counter subjective-facts to make it more objective

Some harem ended with polygamy like Mushoku Tensei or seven where the MC wedded all the harem member. The stopgap from adding more member is usually the acceptance of the all current harem member rather than the protagonist will (which makes him quite poor and comedical)

For chosen one ending... Well, some resentment will be left but atleast the story are conclusive (even i still have grudge about nisekoi until now...)

Harem is the symbol that more than 1 female are romantically attracted to protagonist, but only romantic relationship? I doubt it. A big chunk, maybe. But definetly not only romantic. I think you need to dig deeper to realize this one

Character become hollowed? Every character which arc had passed will turn hollow after a while if the author didn't have anymore use of them but still need their appearance, it's not limited to female harem member, even protagonist best buddy will become a joke character.

If you are jealous about harem, read seven and dragoon to see how pitiful can a harem owner be. And IRL harem is more likely turned out like this.

9. Laconix

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha I couldn't help but be biased since I hate how easy they "fall" into the harem situation. But yeah I'm also disappointed by niseoki...and shokugeki no soma...

Seven's harem was very entertaining. Even more entertaining was super Lyle and how he handled the situations when the harem members were about to kill one another *grin*

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Laconix

Reading List:
    Link
  12. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems suck. A harem is wish fulfilment at it's finest. There is jealousy and arguments in a normal relationship, so it can only be worse in a polygamous relationship - especially the more people involved. Yet, every harem is the same, all the girls get on great in order to support the MC. They give, and they give, and they give everything they have to the MC, never expecting anything back. It's disgusting.

The only harem I've ever read that seemed somewhat realistic is from a novel I can't remember the name of :blobsob:, and because of that, I felt like shit reading it. And the MC was a piece of dirt. I dropped it in the end.

^^ The novel was a transmigration novel I think, the MC transmigrated into a young noble's body. They lived in a reclaimed land, his ancestor had fought to discover and reclaim the land from the wilds, all in order to have the wealth/status in order to marry someone. (But by the time he was done, she'd already married someone else).

PS. Lord of the Mysteries is the best novel. Hands down. Go read it, OP.

13. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    I see you're the type who likes CN novels more because what the MC did there is mostly taking and taking and taking and more taking away anything from others. Maybe a few could be called a business of equal value, which goal is taking as much without angering the other side.

Well, i read novels for seeing a fine wish fulfilment that separate from real world yet similar. Why the heck i read a story that truly grey like reality?

Btw, the novel you read but forget the title is probably seven.

14. Nara9

Nara9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Venguis

Venguis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link