Discussion When harem became annoying

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lovina, Oct 31, 2019.

?

What can make a harem became annoying or make you drop or avoid it

1. I root for a girl that mc whouldn't end up with

22 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Cliché (plot or character )

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I loath the character

40 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Too previsible

20 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Too sex no plot

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  6. Too much member

37 vote(s)
    39.4%
  7. I read spoiler and hated it

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  8. Rape , abuse

47 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Polyandry

26 vote(s)
    27.7%
  10. How did it became like that ?

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  11. Too many mysunderstood

13 vote(s)
    13.8%
  12. I don't found it annoying

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  13. I just don't like harem

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  14. Fan service !

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    When it makes the story boring.
    All elements should contribute to making a story more interesting, if it doesn’t do that then I see it as a useless element.

ToastedRossi likes this.
  2. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When is not honest, everything is fine in a story as long as the story is clear about what it is, my all time favorite harem is from Mushoku Tensei because it was never denied how perverted or self pleasing it was and because the girls were proper characters with their own goals
    My second best harem is from Isekai Harem In The Labyrinth Of The Other World, a series as trashy as they can be but it was never denied how it was all wish fulfillment and how the girls were introduced to add variety both in the harem an the battle formation, trashy an honest is way better than serious and pretentious
    And thats it, i have never liked more harems than that, only the comedy kept me going in some other cases

3. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Childhood friends can win their love too
    FB_IMG_1572154162423.jpg

Lovina likes this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Lovina likes this.
  5. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Most harem novels are terrible, that's not to say there are no good ones, but most aren't to the extent that you can't even pull off a willing suspension of disbelief. Because we all know that harem just doesn't really work so well in real life to the extent that if you did meet someone willing to be in said harem they probably have a mental illness and unless you like that sort of thing you probably don't want them in said harem. In reality if girls/guys found out you have others you probably won't for very long lol.

6. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Here some harem complaint
    - Dense MC (you..you .. you mean you like me as a friend, right?)
    - Tsundere + Sadistic Main Heroine
    - Masochist MC (Hidan no Aria)
    - Harem from beginning (with very strong vibe) but OTP in the end
    - Naive or too naive mc (with jutsu no talk, every problem can be solved)
    - Too much childish mc (holding hand already make the world shaking)
    - Wish fulfilment harem with cliche and dumb ass story
    - Transmigration/reincarnation/rebirth in isekai (Seriously, if transported/reincarnate to isekai is deleted, the story is still good)

7. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_teary:

8. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks QWQ it's beautiful i will check it ♡

kenar likes this.
  9. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    kenar likes this.
  10. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    1. When every love interest turns into a bland worship the MC zombies after it entered the harem for no reason. Lose all their personality.
    2. When harem stuff takes so much screen time that 99% of the story just dissapear and becomes or only revolves around these harem stuff..
    Dense dude is annoying enough... a d*ck brained dude that seeks out or lust over new girls every chapter and every ark is more so.. collecting as much as possible.

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything that makes it seem like the harem is there just because the author wanted a harem story, it is fine if an author actually sets out to write one, but they should at the very least try and mask that by making the characters and plot feel genuine.
    Though I could say the same for just about any genre cliches, if the story feel gimmicky, illogical and forced then it is annoying regardless of if it is harem or not.
    Harems are just more problematic because they require more characters by default, if an author has trouble writing convincing romance between 2 characters, of course it isn't going to be any better with 5 of them.

asriu likes this.
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And that's the crux of the matter! If a book has good characterization and well written scenes, it's going to be pretty good whether it has a harem or not. If it doesn't then the presence or lack thereof of a harem isn't going to save it. I think that the biggest problem of harem novels is that they're often written by bad writers to begin with; writers who don't care about characterization or quality writing so they give the writers who give a damn a bad name.

I read something like "Death March" and the harem is terrible because the characterization is paper thin and the relationships are boring to read. I read something like "Return to Ming" and the harem is one of the high points of the book because it has some amazing characters with a lot of meaningful interactions.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    most harem is just for fan service~ eye candy for me~ hence I rarely care about it~ it not reason I drop novel unless harem is main part on story which imo such thing as rare as phoenix feather or unicorn horn~

14. SilverCyanide

SilverCyanide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think all harem is annoying. Which is why harem is a tag that's permanently filtered out when I'm digging for new reads.

15. traitorAIZEN

traitorAIZEN Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with a harem as long as the guy/MC is worthy of that harem. If he has real ability, non-generic or respectable personality and good looks then it's more believable that these hordes of females will fall in love with him.
    If not, then it just reeks of wish fulfillment of a loser author.

Lovina likes this.
  16. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah "normal" mc who attract ton of beautiful girl because kindness yeah my ass it's a desesperate to found a boy who can be nice to me way.though a harem manga with situation who make fun of harem tropes like the childhood friend curse whould be Nice.

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a good point. If there are a bunch of female characters romantically interested in one guy then there should be something special about that guy. Too bad it's so often that Japanese protagonists just aren't designed like that; they're usually meant to be passive and uninteresting. And this is probably where we should make a distinction between Chinese and Japanese styled harems. They come from different literary traditions and are designed to serve different purposes. This doesn't mean that all Chinese harem stories are good, but it does give them a much higher chance of being good than their Japanese counterparts.

In the end I still think that the most important factor is whether the members of the harem are complete characters. If they are just cardboard cutouts it's not going to matter how good the protagonist because the interactions in the story just aren't going to be interesting to read.

Lovina likes this.
  18. Jojofann

Jojofann Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Real harem fans dont dislike harems. That means you are sick of harem already ;)

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just tired of generic harem with "normal " mc when can they be original just a little even in a what the fuck way like kampfer because mc transform as a girl Way more popular than him , this have a plot not an excuse like you can found in many other manga even if the plot is slightly weird .

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I am sure I watched Ichigo 100% even though I don't recall it all.
    I read the plot and it's predictable and just a big tease.
    He ends up with the most popular girl in school....
    Also, judging from how I can't forgotten it. It is certainly a forgettable story.
    I can't forget Maburaho even if it's average.
    It's a touching story.
    Ranma 1/2 too
    Happy Lesson etc
    Good storIes are not forgettable.
    I even remember Rosario + Vampire
    And other annoying stories e.g.that Vampire story with Yuki, Hero Zero and the incestuous plot
    Edit: It's Vampire Knight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.