[Poll] Would you choose food or heat?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would you prioritize paying for heating or for food?

1. I'm male - I would prioritize heating

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. I'm male - I would prioritize food

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm male - I would ditch this poor family

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm male - I would do something shady/illegal

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. I'm male - I would quit my job and try looking for better paying ones

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. I'm male - I would kill myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I'm male - Other response

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. I'm male - I'm unsure

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. I'm female - I would prioritize heating

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  10. I'm female - I would prioritize food

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  11. I'm female - I would ditch this poor family

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I'm female - I would quit my job and try looking for better paying ones

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  13. I'm female - I would do something shady/illegal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I'm female - I would kill myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I'm female - Other response

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  16. I'm female - I'm unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I do not wish to answer

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a slightly more serious poll than usual! :blobReach:

You are transmigrated into a poor family in an isekai universe, and you have a spouse and two kids. During this process, you gained the memories of the original person's body that you took over.

The climate of this setting is cold (it regularly snows and freezes), and it is approaching winter.

Since you are poor, you do not have enough money to pay all your bills.

After taking care of the required payments, your choices are to:

(A) Choose NOT to heat your home
    This winter, you choose not to heat your home. This means that the temperatures inside your home will be sub-zero, and the water pipes will freeze. Anticipating this, you shut off the water supply to your home in advance to prevent the pipes from bursting. However, this means you will have no running water the entire winter, let alone any hot water.

The house will be frigid. Everyone will need to wear outdoor clothing inside the house, and everyone will go to bed bundled in their coats. If there is a cold-wave (extremely cold temperatures), your family risks getting frost-bite or dying from the cold. You do not have the money to afford space heaters or alternative heating methods.

(B) Choose NOT to feed your kids properly
    Good nutrition is important for the proper development of kids. Despite this, you choose to sacrifice your groceries this winter. This means that you will consistently buy the cheapest groceries — which means your family will eat rice and beans for months. You will not buy vegetables or fruits or meats because they are expensive. Your kids will be hungry because you ration the meals to make sure that you have enough to last every week.
    Notes:
    • The setting is an isekai universe with the equivalent technology of Earth in the 1940s.
    • There are no government/religious social programs or free food available in your area.
    • You do not have any other relatives or friends your family can freeload off of.
    • Getting a better job is not possible without quitting your existing ones. You are already working 80 hours a week. Your spouse is unable to work due to disability reasons.
    • There is no financial benefit from getting divorced.

1. Do you choose food or heat? Why?

2. If you transmigrated to be the breadwinner of a poor family, would you ditch them? Or would you stay and continue to support them?

3. If you transmigrated into a family with biological kids (that the prior "you" conceived), would you see those kids as your own?

4. What would you do with the "spouse" that you suddenly gained?

5. Would you keep your transmigration status secret or would you tell people?

mir likes this.
  2. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Food of course, pick the most delicious food and eat heartily with family member and night after that in the coldest night hurdle together to die from hypothermia. At least in the afterworld, the family still together

3. Shadowhawkstar

Shadowhawkstar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Heating due to running water being very important and I would rather be hungry and ration out but not freeze to death.
    2. Support them, they're my children and wife
    3. Yep
    4. Take care of her
    5. Keep it secret, just live a peaceful yet uncomfortable life

4. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Heat. Anywhere, you need shelter, but ONLY if you can protect it. What if the house is in slum district. It will very well get taken away.

5. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would choose heat and make do with the food until summer arrives, then using my modern knowledge I'll try to make more money. I'm a softhearted person by virtue so I wouldn't ditch my family to fend for themselves since it will be equavelent of killing them. After, for as long as it takes, getting in a good place I'll decide my marriage depending on how well we get along with each other. I mean, what kind of wife I have? Is it the virtuous, kind and "we'll get over this" type or the one that bitches about not marrying the governor's son when she had the chance when she was younger? Does she see me as the pillar of the household or just "free monies"? I hate kids but I would care for them still. I think the children are sinless in this or any world.

6. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    1. heat. starvation death is less immediate
    2. need more info
    3. no
    4. explain frankly what I am
    5. tell people

7. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Heat. At least they have something to eat than be tortured by the cold. I never have experience winter before but i know that you can survive longer without food but if the temperature goes extreme, you might not survive for long plus you could hunt for food but not buy heat to save yourself, especially the family. In a realistic approach, surviving with minimal heat is more dangerous than lack of food.
    2. If you transmigrated to be the breadwinner of a poor family, would you ditch them? Or would you stay and continue to support them?
    If its someone i don't know and are strangers to me, no. But since i reincarnated with someone's memories, i might hesitate to save them since i am partially responsible since i took someone's body.
    3. If you transmigrated into a family with biological kids (that the prior "you" conceived), would you see those kids as your own?
    Yeah.
    *Cough* No comment.
    Hmn...Dunno. but maybe if the circumstances isn't dire.

8. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you play Papers, Please before making this poll?

9. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I’ll choose Heating, probably give few of my share to the kids. No parent in their right mind allow their children to starve.
    2. Support.
    3. Learn to live, learn to love them.
    4. Same answer to 3.
    5. Carry my secret to my grave.

10. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Well heat off course, bwt how bad is my house to have sub zero even with closed door? Even my house in winter can have 7 to 12 without heater.... Wait it's probably because my computer.

Depend, if they quit shity I will leave or continue support them if they good

Probably, I think this child as accidentall spill when drunk... Well I also see then as my own

If she nice, I will use my knowledge for make artificial limb and if she brain dead well accident sometime happen.

I will make impression of mad sciences than get burned on stake. Also using moderen knowledge to make simple mechanical stuff (no I didn't understand how to make pcb) and sell it

11. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Heat, because according to what you said, food will be in rations, meaning they will still be hungry, hungry + cold isn't good, thus prioritizing heat then look for other sources of food, like hunting or fishing for example :hmm:

I... don't know :blobunsure:

Also don't know :blobunsure:

What do yo mean? add her to the food rations or something? :blobexpressionless: of course, if I end up taking care of the children, I will be taking care of spouse as well :blob_tilt:
    I don't see a reason why I would do that, if I tell someone, they will probably think that I am crazy or up to something (unless it is a world with stupid characters like many novels) :hmm:

12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    You are already working 80 hours a week in this scenario, so there is not much free time outside of work.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  13. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    So? Its not like i need sleep to survive. I may have inherited someone's body but at least i didn't bring my sht stamina with me. A man can survive anywhere if he has the will to live.

14. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Do I get a cheat though? Where is my obligatory harem ? What a shitty goddess. Also are we talking about same political environment as in our 1940s which would be early part of WWII?

Diametric likes this.
  15. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I can always put traps somewhere and when work is done check if I got anything caught or see if I can change my working hours, otherwise, perhaps I can see if I can find some other ways to get food, perhaps I can convince someone to hunt in my place :hmm:

16. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    The Celestial of Fruits and Vegetables regularly neglects to hand out cheats :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd:

As for 1940's, it is just approximate technology level. The world is entirely different.

VesperNyan likes this.
  17. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I choose heat. With no heat you might die from a cold wave by chance, but with no food it "just" means being hungry. If I ration it right then I can make it non-lethal, if unpleasant.

2) I'd my best to support them, since a) I have no better plans and I'd probably be homeless without them, b) I couldn't stand to just let these people because I took over this body.

Of course, if the wife turns out to be super toxic or something else problematic then I'm going to do my best to act accordingly.

3) It depends how old they are. If they're in their late teens then they've already developed way past the point that they could be "mine". If they're still impressionable children though, I would consider them to be more and more "mine" as I continue to raise them.

4) Claim amnesia and see how it plays out. It's the only feasible thing to do in this situation if you don't want to spill the beans.
    I'd do my best to rebuild whatever level of relationship they had before my transmigration, or try and make things better if what they had previously wasn't very good.

5) Definitely hide it. I don't want people thinking I'm a psycho, or the government to try and get involved with the "timetraveller".

It'd also probably lessen the blow on the family since with the amnesia story at least the previous owner of the body is still partly there, rather than a completely new person taking over the body. They're also more likely to hate me for taking over his body, which would be inconvenient for my future here.

You could argue that it's immoral to lie to them but I think the occasional well placed lie can be necessary I'm certain circumstances.

Edit: I just realised it said you retained your memories of the previous owner of the body, so I would just act as usual to be less suspicious. Do my best to not seem weird while also slowly adopting my current ideals and morals

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    lychee likes this.
  18. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    Use the money to buy magic beans.

mir likes this.
  19. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no problem. I just rely on the best waifu. When the world turn to shit, you can always rely on Speedwagon. The world may fail, god may abandon you, but Speedwagon always got your back.

20. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I choose heat. My grandparents and their kids mainly lived off of beans for a long time, and my mother said that for many years they didn't have enough to be full, but none of them starved, so I know it will work out ok if we have beans.
    Also, I have low body temperature. The cold is scary. And your body burns more calories trying to stay warm (shivering, etc).
    2. Stay and support
    3. No, I wouldn't see them as my own, but I'd see them as my adopted children (as long as they aren't evil or something)
    4. Have my spouse take care of the kids while I'm at work. For romantic stuff .... it'd be really awkward so I'd avoid the topic for awhile, and just treat it as if we are team members in this challenge of surviving.
    I don't know what would happen later. I would probably tell them I lost my memory and that's the reason for the change.
    5. Keep it secret. I done heard about witch burnings! I don't want to be cold but that's way overdoing it! I don't want to experience it!
    Only if the person seemed extremely trustworthy, and had kept secrets for me before, I might tell them.

lychee likes this.