LCD Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shance, May 31, 2016.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure? I could swear that it was mentioned multiple times, and I think she used his name when she was asking Fran to help her help Father Ferdinand.

2. ShasuX

ShasuX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I'm not sure. It's been a while since I last read the fan translation. But I highly doubt that the author would make such a big blunder to expressively highlight the name after referring to it several times. Would make no sense. I do remember reading about Ferdinand's name in a n interlude though. :)

3. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    They may also be confused because in chapter 68 blastron wrote:
    “You must be Maïne?” he says. “My name is Ferdinand1.
    But the tl note for that chapters says:
    1. As with the temple master, I’m introducing this character’s name earlier than in the original text to make dialogue less stiff.

jacobpaige likes this.
  4. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    C104: A picture book is a wonderful idea, but a better one would be a bigger, cleaner, nicer home.

Wouldn't Wilma be evicted from the orphanage once she got too old for anyone to want to rape her if she's not someone's attendant and hasn't been sold yet? Or am I misremembering Gil's horror stories?

C105: I thought he only knew that she could charge 7 stones. Why does he suddenly know that she can charge 10 with mana to spare?

She should just "invent" the piano and be done with it. That way, she'll have several years headstart and no one to compare herself to ;)

That aside, with her health the way it is, she wouldn't be able to give birth safely. She'd be useless as a baby factory.

C108: So, why didn't Kristine take Rosina with her? I wouldn't think it would have been difficult for her to do so if she wanted to, nor does it seem like there was a reason for her to not want to.

hillo315 likes this.
  5. bittervalley1

bittervalley1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blastron's note at https://blastron01.tumblr.com/post/172025927743/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-068

And the chapter before that - https://blastron01.tumblr.com/post/171810707045/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-067

I don't know what he was planning to do with C103, but he never made it that far to deal with that inconsistency.

EDIT

BTW, in the official translation, translator chose to translate those into High Bishop and High Priest, the class designations rather than job title to make it more natural in English.

If you chose to read the official translation, I would recommend restarting from book 1. There are enough differences in translation that you will be very confused, and there are many extra chapters to have deeper experience of the story.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  6. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how the translator handled it in the LN. The name Ferdinand is used 30 times in the 4th LN. 29 times up to the point where he decides upon who will be Myne's attendants. And the final 30th time when Myne herself discovers his name.

7. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    Flying Lines haven't given up like I hoped that had then...

8. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wondering but what industry with maine revolutionize next? Cause I think she might try to make electricity a thing, and I guess if you can use magic to boil water you can make a steam powered engine to power some primitive machines that can make copper wire that will then go into a magical steam electric generator which maine will then use to power a steady red light for night time reading! (Red lights are easy on the eyes)

hillo315 likes this.
  9. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wondering but what industry with maine revolutionize next? Cause I think she might try to make electricity a thing, and I guess if you can use magic to boil water you can make a steam powered engine to power some primitive machines that can make copper wire that will then go into a magical steam electric generator which maine will then use to power a steady red light for night time reading! (Red lights are easy on the eyes)

hillo315 likes this.
  10. Tea leaves

Tea leaves Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Die Ferdinand a thousand death is more befitting you. You manipulator cradle snatcher. Lolicon bastard.

11. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Somehow. The anime studio found the original idea to give multi-colors effect to Maine's eyes while she is overloading with mana.
    Not bad not bad.
    Not really fan of voice of Ferdinand.

What do you think guys ?

hillo315 likes this.
  12. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 1 Volume 1 Extra Story: A Day Without Myne
    Part 1 Volume 2 Prologue
    Part 1 Volume 3 Confrontation
    Part 1 Manga Volume 7 Cover
    [​IMG]

13. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Awwwww. Guess i will change the target of my worship to original author.

Thx for telling the info !

Edit: Sigh... it's too bad that the romance in this series is "not to my liking" (trying to not use harsh words) and that there is the plot about
    faking the death of Maine.
    If not for this 2, i would surely keep reading this series immediately.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2020
  14. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    Its been 10 months since J-Novel Club announced their license of the light novel and with them releasing the eBook for Part 2 Volume 2 (roughly chapters 104-133) they're now the furthest continuous human English translations, even for people that don't wish to subscribe.
    Here is the descprition:
    As Myne continues her busy life as an apprentice blue shrine maiden, some good news changes everything: Her mother is pregnant! Naturally, Myne immediately sets out to make a picture book for her future little sibling.
    But there's still so much she doesn't know about the temple that doing anything is a struggle. She's forced into the education of a shrine maiden and has her hands full with her new attendants. She has a mountain of work as the orphanage director, too.
    As always Myne has bitten off more than she can chew, but she charges forward with her love of books giving her strength. And as it becomes clear that someone with her level of mana will not continue to go unnoticed, the door to the world of nobles opens and the plot escalates dramatically!
    Winter approaches, and a blizzard is about to fall upon this bibliofantasy!​
    [​IMG]

So because of this I thought it'd be interesting to see where we'd be if Blastron or Shasu hadn't dropped it. Lets assume that going forward J-Novel Club go at a pace of one volume every 75 days (2.5 months) due to their 10 releases per volume schedule (and also lets ignore any fall-out from the editor change).
    Start Date: 2015-12-29
    Drop Date: 2018-12-24
    Drop Chapter: 096

Assuming Blastron had released a new chapter every week then we'd be at chapter 152 which is about the end of Part 2 Volume 3 (roughly chapters 134-153). In this situation J-Novel Club wouldn't catch up with the eBooks until June when they release Part 2 Volume 4 (chapters 154-172), where Blastron would rougly be at 173.
    However we know this happen is very unlikely. The amount of chapters Blastron did each year are as follows:
    Year 1: 40
    Year 2: 19
    Year 3: 37
    So assuming they went at their year 3 pace into year 4 then we'd they'd roughly be at chapter 136 which is only a smidgen ahead of J-Novel Club, so they'd effectively caught up.

TL;DR We're at pretty much the same point with official TL as we would be if Blastron didn't drop it.
    Start Date: 2019-01-25
    Drop Date: 2019-04-18
    Drop Chapter: 103

Assuming they maintained their promised pace of a chapter every fortnight then they'd be at chapter 123 which is behind where J-Novel Club are.
    However they did pose the possibility of releasing chapters weekly once they got settled into things, so assuming they did straight after chapter 103 then they'd now be at chapter 143. In this situation J-Novel Club wouldn't catch up with the eBooks until April when they release Part 2 Volume 3 (roughly chapters 134-152), where Shasu would roughly be at 154

TL;DR The official TL is likely ahead of where we'd be if Shasu didn't drop it, and if we're not (by a non-small margin) we would be caught up by April.

The takeaway you should you should have from this is that J-Novel Club licensing the series is the best thing that could have happened for English readers.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Sabruness, Wujigege and hillo315 like this.
  15. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    You can buy both the manga and the light novel at Amazon. I think that sums it up.

hillo315 likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    There is absolutely no excuse to translate the web novel anymore

hillo315 likes this.
  17. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    < After waiting for so long

< J-Novel translated 5 Volumes already

< Time to purchase the volumes! :blobhero:

Sabruness and hillo315 like this.
  18. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    Their public preview chapters for Part 2 Volume 3 are out. It consist of a LN exclusive prologue chapter (worth mentioning it introduced Eckehard much earlier than in the WN), and the LN equivalent of WN chapters 130 and most of 131 (these two chapters happened in the WN before the epilogue of Part 2 Volume 2 but after the healing ritual, I think it’s clear why they were moved).
    Link.

Gen17 and hillo315 like this.
  19. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wondering but which book would I need to purchase to continue on without missing anything? Is it part 2 volume 2? Or part 2 volume 3?

hillo315 likes this.
  20. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    You’d have to start from Part 1 Volume 1 because each LN volume has LN exclusive chapters in them.
    But if you don’t mind missing 11 such chapters chapter and have read the manual translations by Blastron and Infinite Novel Translations then you can purchase Part 2 Volume 2.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020