[Poll] Would you pick up money from the ground?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 27, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much money would entice you to climb into a ditch?

1. $1 trillion dollars

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. $1 billion dollars

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. $1 million dollars

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. $100,000 dollars

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. $50,000 dollars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. $10,000 dollars

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. $5,000 dollars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. $2,000 dollars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. $1,000 dollars

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  10. $500 dollars

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  11. $200 dollars

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  12. $100 dollars

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  13. $50 dollars

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  14. $20 dollars

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  15. $10 dollars

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  16. $5 dollars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. $2 dollars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. $1 dollar or less

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  19. I would climb into a ditch for the heck of it

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  20. I would never climb into a ditch for money

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  21. I would never pick up money if it looked icky

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I would never pick up money from the ground

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  23. I refuse to touch money

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. I’m unsure

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  25. I do not wish to answer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobflag::blobflag::blobflag:

In a certain alternate universe, you have a very strange superpower that allows you to sense lost money in the environment nearby you.

For example, when you are walking by a vending machine, you will magically know if there is a dime sitting underneath the machine.

You can detect any amount of loose change in a 100 meter radius around you. The main requirement is that the loose/lost money cannot currently belong to anyone.

Of course, there are tons or random pennies and nickels lying around in the environment, but who has the energy to pick up random pennies on the ground?

+ + +

One day you are walking along when your special sense starts to tingle!

There is a large sum of money sitting on the ground nearby!

It is such a large sum that it is impossible to ignore. You need to go fetch it; otherwise it would be the same as letting a large amount of free money go!

Your special powers tell you that it is sitting in a muddy ditch off the side of the road. In order to fetch it, you will need to climb into a ditch and get dirty with mud.

The money — however — is fine. The wad of cash is sitting protected in a lost wallet (your senses wouldn’t have detected it if it wasn’t lost), and the money isn’t damaged in any way.

How much money did you sense in order to motivate you to climb into a ditch?

Note: the currency in the poll is the approximate order of magnitude as USD, CAD, Euros, AUD... roughly that range.

1. How much money is “a lot” to you?

2. Suppose the wallet had an ID in it. Would you contact the original owner?

3. Suppose the ditch was full of... unspecified nasty stuff. Would you still go get it?

4. My mom once dropped her smartphone into a port-a-potty in China. You can either pay a grounds-worker to fetch it for you, or you can just give up on it entirely. What do you do?

5. Money has a lot of germs on it. Suppose the Celestial of Fruits and Vegetables offers you the odd superpower of knowing exactly where any money has traveled before it reached your hands. Would you take it?

2. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it really depends on how dirty it is. If it's just in mud, then who cares, mud washes off. If it's in human or animal waste, then unless it's a bag full of cash, it's not worth it. If it is a huge sum, you can always go buy some rain protective wear / fishing wear to tread into it without getting the stuff on you. Then it'd be worth going for.

3. 123abdi

123abdi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if the money is in something nasty like poop i will use an extending arm device or my selfie stick to retrieve it
    then i will place it in a large plastic bag with no holes
    and finally, i will open the bag and wash it in a washing machine

also i will only take the effort to do this if the amount of money is at least 2x more than it would cost to wash it in the washing machine at the laundromat

4. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mud? Easy.
    Toxic waste? No thanks.

5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    1. 500$(when it's in the wallet otherwise it's depend for what it's used)
    2. if it's just the ID and few change(like 2-5$) i wouldn't bother to do that, since they could simply claim i'm a thief and robbed them of money. If there are a lot of money then i try to contact them or bring that to the police.
    3. no, it's could be more dangerous than what i can find inside the ditch.
    4.depend the value of the smartphone and the possibility that it's broke with the fall
    5. Money is the most dirty thing in the world, realisticaly and figuratively...

6. Liea

Liea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It´s just mud.:blobwoah: Though if I only did wear shorts or a skirt then I would need more money to do it.

7. 123abdi

123abdi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    also, this money sensing ability would be a great superpower for a Main character
    you could hunt for lost treasure with this ability for sure

Yggdrasil108, Darkanlan and kkgoh like this.
  8. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    if the money belong to no one then I will take it lol

9. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be enough money to tempt me into walking in sewage, it would need to be a suitcase and a suitcase of cash just screams suspicious dealings. Why would this cash be in a ditch? Is the original owner even alive?

Nope, I'm good. The money is not worth the effort. If it really was such a signifigant amount of cash, picking it up would land me in bad situations and I like living very much thank you.

With this power, I might as well be an archaeologist. I would be famous. I'm assuming money is in all forms whether it's Ban Ling, Drachma, trade beads, gold, or silver. I can even say the line “My instincts are telling me, it's somewhere around here!” on a dig site and not be dragged off to an asylum haha. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Woho0 and arashi-chan12 like this.
  10. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    The options are preposterous, I mean come on, a trillion dollars?!. Is it a killo of anti- matter ?!.

if it's more than 5 digits, you bet Ur ass I'm diving in that shit and keeping the load for my self.

If it's like a 20 or 100 dollars, I'll see if there's a ID, if it's there good, go give it in the police station, if it's not there, still I'd just go throw it in the police station ( pretty sure it's just gonna end up in their tummies).

honestly I'd scoop out my phone if it falls in the 'potty', even if it's not iPhone. but not by hands, that's too direct for my psych.

11. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    What a cool super power, we are going to be rich :blobrofl:
    Anyway
    In this case... and it is a wallet, I suppose >$500 maybe? unless, there is also a credit card in there or something of more value :hmm:

Yes :blobangel:
    3. Suppose the ditch was full of... unspecified nasty stuff. Would you still go get it?

No :blobunamused:
    4. My mom once dropped her smartphone into a port-a-potty in China. You can either pay a grounds-worker to fetch it for you, or you can just give up on it entirely. What do you do?

As I lost things in many places before (nothing like a smartphone tho thankfully but they held some value) I would probably give it up :hmm:
    5. Money has a lot of germs on it. Suppose the Celestial of Fruits and Vegetables offers you the odd superpower of knowing exactly where any money has traveled before it reached your hands. Would you take it?

So, the kind Celestial of Fruits and Vegetables is now slightly morbid as well, you are corrupting them one at a time aren't you lychee?
    Well, I suppose I will bring with me some foaming soap or something :hmm:

12. Alina Moktan

Alina Moktan LaLisa Stole My Heart

Reading List:
    Link
    My mother will beat me if I pick up money from the ground. She say that money or someone who lose money will curse you if you picked money. So whenever I see 20 US dollar in ground, I stay far away from it as if that money is curse thing.

13. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    If the money is in a wallet then it still has an owner who simply has lost it. It can't really be considered to lack an owner unless it has no identifying characteristics. I'd feel obligated to return anything I found in a wallet.

Osamaru likes this.
  14. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    I live in the ditch, so why would i climb into it to get the money?
    And most likely the money was mine all the time. So if you take it you'r a THIEF!

15. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, even if its lost, if its in a Wallet, I am going to assuming it means that there is some kind of Identification paperwork there (ID, License, SS card, etc etc) meaning I'm not gonna be able to keep the money ANYWAY, so It really would not matter to much how much was actually in it.

16. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    This, basically. Otherwise its just theft.

LordCorwin likes this.
  17. Woho0

Woho0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. How much money would entice you to climb into a ditch?
    With those superpowers probably for a 100.000 at some point when I feel like it. Without those superpowers, I would climb for 500, as it is a small effort.

Depends if I like the profile picture on the ID.

I would pay someone trustworthy to get it for me with the needed instructions. (I probably would use this option a lot)

If the smartphone is waterproof I would use a garbage bag or something like that to fetch it without making my hands dirty. If that's not possible, then I would pay a grounds-worker like 20 bucks.

Yes, it would only make it more sounds interesting.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  18. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like the perfect superpower to find ancient money buried and forgotten in the ground somewhere. 100m is a long way to dig. Easy rich.

19. I Ship anything cute

I Ship anything cute [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    don't really know to be honest
    I probably would, if they're someone like famous or uber rich though than I am totally not going to contact them or return them. I I don't like the original owner from what I gather from the phone call than I probably won't give it to them~
    Money is money I suppose~ Having a large sum of money would be very freeing so I'd be willing to go in and get it especially since I've dug so muchhhh
    If it costs too much money than frick that, who know if the phone would still be intact enough to use anyway?
    I would love to take it, finding currency from older times and seeing it's history would give me a glimpse into the past and what if the money was in the ownership of someone with something contagious? It'd be really convenient to know that so as not to touch it immediately and also to totally use it against someone I don't like~

Woho0 likes this.
  20. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you're talking about super powers,

It's going to turn into profession. That means at any given time I would wear anti mud clothing and sensing any money within the vacinity picking all of them up and cleaning them.

As for how much I'm going to pick up, it'd depends on how destitute I am.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    LordCorwin and SilverCrow63 like this.