[Poll] Would you sell your daughter into marriage?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much of a bride price would cause you to force your daughter to get married?

1. I’m male - At least $1 billion USD

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. I’m male - At least $1 million USD

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. I’m male - At least $100k USD

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I’m male - At least $10k USD

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. I’m male - At least $1k USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I’m male - At least $100 USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I’m male - I would force my daughter to marry regardless

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  8. I’m male - I would let my daughter stay unmarried

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  9. I’m male - I would disown my daughter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I’m male - I’m unsure

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  11. I’m female - At least $1 billion USD

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  12. I’m female - At least $1 million USD

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  13. I’m female - At least $100k USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I’m female - At least $10k USD

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  15. I’m female - At least $1k USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. I’m female - At least $100 USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I’m female - I would force my daughter to marry regardless

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  18. I’m female - I would let my daughter stay unmarried

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  19. I’m female - I would disown my daughter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I’m female - I’m unsure

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  21. I do not wish to respond

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you ever force somebody to marry for a practical reason? What if you were a King/Queen looking at a political marriage for your child?
    No and no
    2. Your thoughts on dowries and bride prices?

Alot of people and traditions deem them necessary :hmm:
    3. What kind of features would you look for in suitors? What kind of features would you avoid?

This question makes me feel as if I am buying some objects, well, troublesome fellows I guess (lots of cheaters, unreliable people, etc...)
    4. Suppose that there is an agency for unmarried women that helps them find a household that will accept them as a servant/maid. Would you adopt a maid? Why or why not?

I don't know :blobunsure:
    5. Suppose that the media is always talking about how maids are frequently mistreated. Would you join a political movement to fight for maid rights? What about a movement for women’s rights?

Leave politic out of this lychee, because while it is true many news are right but much more are made up, and you speak about rights, societies are in a mess for some couples years now, what rights are you talking about when almost everyone in power just making up trouble to those less fortunate than them, and based on what you described, that world should be much worse:blobunamused:, this sort of situation you are talking about is the sort of situation that needs a demon lord that will raze all leaving no one safe, only then can we talk about heroes and later about rights :blobhero:

ATrueStory likes this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

3. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on the situation really. If the situation is stable enough, then I might allow marriage for love, provided the spouse is atleast somewhat decent and has no real problems. If the situation isn't stable enough, meaning that a war could arise sooner or later if she doesn't marry another nation or a noble family, then I would arrange a marriage.
    Not necessarily used everywhere today, but I can understand some of the reasoning of why they're a thing.
    Loyalty, Kindness, Honor & Understanding.
    Loyalty - No cheating on her
    Kindness - Give her some freedom
    Honor - Respect her will somewhat
    Understanding - Atleast partially change his ways to suit her better as long as it's not something extraordinary in order for a longer & better marriage
    Provided that they actually understand and will act as maids, I would atleast take in one, but i'm not really sure what you mean with adopting one. If nothing else, having one that's either prettier or even maybe an acquiantance of my daughter becoming our maid would sort of show her how things stand.
    Define mistreated. Poor living conditions ? Brutal working conditions ? Outright rape ? Free sales of them inbetween various people?

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously she'd marry daddy. :blobpeek:

Bakaturq likes this.
  5. Nusan

Nusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well i think that since she is 23 years old and she decided to not marry anyone then fine. latter if she ever regret this well it was her decision so she must take consequences and become a serf (throw her there before we die and give my money after my death to...well will think about it)
    1 yes i would do it:cookie:
    2 a lot of people and traditions deem them necessary :blobsleepless::blobsleepless:
    3 well of course he can't be one of this well know type "i kill everyone close to me:blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns:" or violent :blobcat_knife:
    4 yes why would i not
    5 it all depends on everything since 'mistreated' can mean that they don't earn money or that they are beaten... so as i said it all depends, what this whole mistreating mean

6. Nyaight

Nyaight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a I am the villainess plot in making
    Edit: where does usd come from in isekai setting; is it a trick question?

7. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you ever force somebody to marry for a practical reason? What if you were a King/Queen looking at a political marriage for your child?
    In that world yes. In modern society no. As a king, yes, as a ruler I would need to put my own feelings aside for the good of the country.
    Outdated practices that had their uses back when they were common, but useless in today's society.
    3. What kind of features would you look for in suitors? What kind of features would you avoid?
    If for a son loyalty, manners, and personality. For a daughter economic stability, honesty, and manners. I would avoid dishonesty, rudeness, those who are bad with money(gambling problems, heavily in debt, etc.), and other such problematic things.
    4. Suppose that there is an agency for unmarried women that helps them find a household that will accept them as a servant/maid. Would you adopt a maid? Why or why not?
    If I had the economic leeway, yes. The only way that women in that world would otherwise have a way to make money themselves would be to turn to prostitution and if I can keep a person from being forced down that road I would.
    5. Suppose that the media is always talking about how maids are frequently mistreated. Would you join a political movement to fight for maid rights? What about a movement for women’s rights?
    Yes, I would fight for laws that protected them, but not for multiple rights. The reason is that fighting for to much change all at once is counter productive and can easily damage to your movement.

8. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    In this situation... My knee jerk reaction is to force her to get married, no matter what! I'm shocked that her father let her go this long and let her prospects get this bad.

That said, I want to be reasonable first. I'll start by asking my daughter what she plans to do with her life if she doesn't get married. In real life, there were women like Julie d’Aubigny and Anne Bonny who lived pretty amazing lives of freedom despite the oppression of society. I won't discount my daughter being crafty and resourceful enough to become a legend herself. If she can convince me, I'll even give her my blessing and whatever support she needs.

Otherwise, I'm going to use tough love and make sure she's sent off to a comfortable life.

It really depends... As much as possible, I'd avoid it unless they consent.

A disgusting idea, but a useful tool in this situation. If someone can't offer me a lot of money for my daughter, they might be too poor to support her properly, or they might not really value her as a wife and they'll treat her badly. Is someone offers a lot, I still want to investigate why - are they that keen to impress me for my daughter's hand, or do they think they're buying some rare product?

Either way, I'll give all the money to my daughter. I want to make sure it completely belongs to her and that her husband can't touch a penny of it, though. If she ever needs to escape her marriage, she's going to need all the wealth she can get.

Ideally, I want someone who sees women as people, is against violence and has a disposition which suggests they won't resort to it, and who would respect my daughter and not rape or tyrranise her. Somebody who's okay trying to win my daughter over slowly. Or, better yet, someone who just wants a purely platonic relationship.

Let's avoid domestic abusers and other unsavoury people...

I'll accept as many of them as I can afford to and treat them as well as I can. Who knows where else they'll end up or how they'll be treated if I don't. As a fellow woman (in disguise), I feel a responsibility to do what I can for them.

Yes and yes.

9. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Depends on the situation but a big yes. Practical reasons means: every other choice are bad. Otherwise it wouldn't be practical anymore. You don't select the bad option because it's practical. Being practical means selecting the best option.

Dowries means a savings. Usually it would be what the wife put in for the new family. You can't buy a farm with hope and wishes. You need money. The wife throws in a chunk and the husband throws in his savings.

Bride price is like the gate. I have a good daughter and I don't want some random homeless bum to marry her and make her starve to death. So the guy needs to have money and the proof of that is that he needs to have so much he can out bid the other idiots.

Money. You don't marry your daughters to homeless bum with no job, no skill and no land.

Personality and sanity comes a close second. Can't marry her to some crazy guy who would kill her or harm her.

Depending on how much I have to pay and my financial situation.

Hiring a maid nowadays is still similar to back then. They are expensive. A live in maid would cost you a boat load of money.

People would work for 12 hours a day for a loaf of bread and they still had to pay rent. A maid would have free meals, free rent and pay.

Here is the thing, what is the alternative? If they got mistreated then they have to sue their employees which they would need money and a lawyer willing to sue to get a cut of the pie.

You have a very good paying job but your boss is a sadist and drives you mad. You can quit your job but you will be spending the rest of your life collecting garbage for a fraction of what you make now. Would you continue working?

The maid is the same. They got bad working condition because #1 they can't afford anywhere else and #2 being uninformed and #3 not enough enforcement when people breaking the law.

10. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, child can make her own choices. Though after a year using my advanced knowledge to prepare, I will offer to drag her along on my Isekai adventures so that she might meet her destined partner.

11. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on your culture. In most cultures, a dowry is part of the tradition — where the woman’s family gives money to the new couple.

However, in some cultures, the opposite is the case — when the man’s side contributes money to the woman’s family — in which case it is often termed a “bride price”.

:blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns:

12. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a bit of both of you go with historical context.

For example, a woman would start saving for her own dowries by selling small handy crafts during her teens. If her family is well off, the family would give her dowries. Usually it would be about 8-12 years worth of pay if the woman work as a man.

Bride price would be something to give back to the woman's family. You can't expect people to just give your wife a house and you don't give them anything back. Usually it would be something comparable to the dowries plus whatever work the family would miss by not having the woman. Also they would bump up the price if the woman was popular, beautiful or skilled.

People were a lot more practical back then. Women work and the family actually counted the work as worth money if they have to give her off to someone else.

lychee likes this.
  13. Loislalion

Loislalion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your setting forces our hand. It’s a no-win situation either way.

14. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends
    In a case of downry i would leave all money to my daughter.

If im king, i would marry both of my children for political reasons unless they have someone in their heart (who i deem wont be harmful)

Im not open to downries and dislike the traditional alot, i see it very similar to trading money for a cattle.

I wouldnt get maid

I would support however i would not be the starter of the movement, im not leader enough

15. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, that guy is rich. Okay! Let's marry off my most precious daughter to that pig. Now that, that is out of the way.... let's talk business.

[​IMG]

What are the current inheritance laws in this nation? I assume women can own property in this time period. So, in the case of the “untimely demise” of her husband, will my daughter gain property rights?

To be more direct... What are my chances of poisoning him? Giving his political rivals a shot at offing him? Triggering his chronic illness? Allergies? The wheel of his carriage being loose? His horse kicking him off because of a badly fitted shoe? An accident while hunting? His carriage running into a mudslide? Choking on his vomit after passing out from drinking? Overdosing on drugs? Eating foods that react very VERY badly to each other? Drowning while boating on a lake? Getting caught in a bar brawl?

If my daughter has never shown interest in a partner and chooses not to marry knowing the consequences, I will respect that. In this society, not marrying is not a light choice so I believe she has a reason for it. That's why if I as a --er I'm assuming I'm male in this scenario-- father cannot support her, I will make sure she can live on well. Rather than living with the stigma of being an unmarried serf at risk of assault by her employers, I would prefer she lives protected under her status as a wealthy widow.

Any man who is willing to pay so much money for a woman who is seen as past her prime to society has other motivations or things to hide. It's suspicious.

So, if a wealthy man wants her to be his third wife and mother of his 27 year old children. Then well, I welcome you my dear son-in-law.
    ( °◅° )

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  16. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sell my future daughter to a marriage? Hell, no!

17. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No... Even if I try to force them they would fight it, in turn causing more trouble for themselves. In a situation where their husband is their lifeline like that, if you drop out of favor then lots of worse things await her. My child is not a chess piece, I will not bargain her away like an item.

It's too materialistic. In a society that is more primitive/less better off, then yeah I can understand why these things exist. But if you're only doing it for the materialistic benefits then that's just messed up. You're regarding human lives like livestock, basically.

+ Personality should be kind & considerate & respectful, someone I think can put up with my daughter. Best option would be one of her childhood friends or something, someone she's familiar with.
    + Well off or financially stable enough to support a family should they wish to have one
    + If my daughter really isn't interested in romantic relationships then someone asexual or homosexual, because then I know they won't have an interest in her body at least. Tho it's a bit drastic

- No huge age gaps, if possible.
    - No debt or other baggage (would not want my daughter to have to take care of those later)
    - No lovers, mistresses or rumors of debauchery... But again, if my daughter really isn't interested then they can have one on the down low as long as their side bae doesn't pop out one day and demand for a divorce.

If I had the financial leeway then maybe. Tho in this society I can't imagine women having any rights in their own homes...

Depends on my husband and social circle I guess. There's little I can do by myself, but I can support others at the very least.

18. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's an idea - why not send her to a monastery and become a nun if she doesn't want to be married?

It fits the period. She can get married, be a maid out of her own volition or enter a convent. She never wanted a husband and in extension, children so it would be a perfect place for her.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  19. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait till your kids see your comments in the future. See whether they would disown you or not. Huhuhu...

SilverCrow63 likes this.
  20. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You really like ridiculously specific scenarios, dont you?
    As the other dude says the daughter is rather stupid, get a way to support yourself or marry when you can, but the prize poll is rather pointless as it should be based on the daughter's market price, there is no point on selling her for a billion if people are only willing to pay a thousand

Since she doesnt have abilities to support herself, her family cannot provide for her for life and she is getting past marriageable age i would say her price would be rather low, at this point she is better off traveling off and living as a farmer disguised as a man, or she could get married and kill her husband