What do you suggest as a cultivation novel, for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ze Wu Jun, Oct 20, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AWE wouldn't be my first recommendation for similar reasons, actually. It's not a total parody like LoHP, but it has a lot of humor that you appreciate more if you've read standard cultivation novels before. Idk about ISSTH. I think... maybe parts of it would be similar? I remember some early humor with regards to Meng Hao being a merchant in his sect that would probably be better appreciated by someone that feels like it's a crazy breath of fresh air. But I think that's limited to the beginning.

Ze Wu Jun likes this.
  2. mistvenom

mistvenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read Tales of Demons and Gods. It's my first novel. I think this is beginner friendly. No rapist/racist mc. A loyal/good/smart mc. The downside is the slow update, but it's enough as a starter

Hasenpfote and Ze Wu Jun like this.
  3. pizzacodes

pizzacodes Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From a non-elitist fan of cultivation novels, my rule of thumb is to read a novel with rating between 3-3.6 stars then work your way up. This way, you didn't just read a five star novel and then become a comparison snob. I'd hate to ruin it for a beginner with introducing the best because now everything read after "sucks" compared to so and so.

Hasenpfote and Ze Wu Jun like this.
  4. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    otaku31 and Bachingchung like this.
  5. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda agree with this, his novels are the OG mold of every cliched cultivation novels. But his unit of measurements are absurd.

6. Jojofann

Jojofann Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stellar Transformation.

firefox1234 and otaku31 like this.
  7. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For immortal cultivation novel, I recommend starting from A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality
    For other kinds of cultivation, I recommend starting from IET novels (Swallowed Star, The Desolate Era or Lord Xue Ying)
    Looking for strange tastes?
    - Forty Millenniums of Cultivation (cultivation+science fiction)
    - Cultivation Chat Group (cultivation+modern+funny)
    - Divine Throne of Primordial Blood (smart MC)
    - Er Gen's novel (a completely different kind)
    - Fang Xiang's novel (multiple kinds of cultivation in one)
    - Yang God (no joking, this is the most "real" cultivation novel I ever read. Just don't have courage to try)
    - The Country Outside The Mist's novel (only if you can read machine translation. As I know there is no novel of this author has been translated. I recommend him because among all novels I read, this is the only author who has successfully built a novel universe contain more than 5 novels. You can find some in my sign.)

8. Alice17

Alice17 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started with "The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System" mostly because it was the first and the shortest of MXTX's novels. Had everything I love in a story (BL aside): HUMOR, adventure, drama......... and poor unsuspecting people getting sucked into novels. I liked it a LOT more than I thought!

9. PercherTM

PercherTM Go go power ranger!

Reading List:
    Link
    My first was 'dragon marked war god'.
    I thought it was fun, until i read more chinese novels. its legit. legitimately. the. most. generic. novel you could ever have and your only time to enjoy it is when you are new to the genre

10. freeloops

freeloops New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I strongly suggest Record of Mortals Journey to Immortality. It's among the first few internet novels i read and one of the best i ever read.

The story really portrayed the dark and harsh but realistic journey to immortality. Every level is build upon blood, sweat, time and even multiple failures. Plan A don't always work. No such thing as spirit/genie/time travel that cheat cultivation system or ridiculous levelling pace that allow a young protagonist to beat everyone up.

I think Baidu has a good description of his personality. I feel it really draw comparison to an ordinary average person in real life. Struggling through tough times and at times needing to make difficult and controversial decisions to succeed. Life after all is fulfilling but sometimes unfortunately cruel and competitive.

I beg to differ the opinion of an earlier post about the lack of romance. It does have it though some may considered it subtle.
    He had a 伴侣(wife/partner) 南宫婉(nan gong wan) though in the early mid part he had a concubine(慕沛灵), whom he accepted due to circumstances but died while . There's also other romantic interests notably 紫灵仙子(zi lin) who he have feeling for but she can't accept that she have to share his love.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  11. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    I started off with Stellar Transformations so i'll recommend that to you. You should most def read Coiling Dragon next

otaku31 likes this.
  12. neetKING

neetKING Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmmmm i dont want to sound critisizing or disrespectful but for some reason i realy hate ancient godly monarch and other novel by the author like i started reading his novels they have good start but becomes later on for some reason .....may be its only me but i would love to hear what you like or dislike about his novels

13. neetKING

neetKING Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as for cultivation novels for beginners coilling dragon and reverend insanity are great choices but personally got into reading Chinese novels or cultivation novels becuase of i shall seal the heavens so i would suggest you to read any novel by er gen cause like all of them are ausome specially the new ones a will etrnal or the world worth protecting quite ausome

14. Ze Wu Jun

Ze Wu Jun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you guys.
    And can I ask if you know a cultivation based novel, which the female protagonist fall in love with her Shizun? You know, a little like "Scum Villain Self saving system" or "dumb husky and his white cat Shizun" but female protagonist.

15. ItchyBookWorm

ItchyBookWorm Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Will Eternal. The best one so far for me

16. Jojofann

Jojofann Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that is Journey of the Flower.

17. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As many have already said, any IET novel is good for beginners. Amongst them, I'd highlight Coiling Dragon due to a couple of reasons, easy-to-remember names, and easy-to-understand power levels. It's more westernized than other cultivation novels that focus heavily on Chinese traditional medicine and ancient terms, so it serves as a good entryway to the genre.

firefox1234 likes this.
  18. justsmile123

justsmile123 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    reverend insanity

19. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should not recommend a discontinued novel for beginners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.