[Poll] How much could I pay you to read BL (or GL)?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 28, 2019.

Tags:
?

What is the LEAST amount of gold you would need to be paid to read a BL/GL novel?

1. I'm male - I would never read a BL novel no matter how much you paid me

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. I'm male - Bribe me 1 million kilograms of gold to read a BL novel

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. I'm male - Bribe me 1000 kilograms of gold to read a BL novel

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. I'm male - Bribe me 100 kilograms of gold to read a BL novel

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. I'm male - Bribe me 10 kilograms of gold to read a BL novel

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. I'm male - Bribe me 1 kilogram of gold to read a BL novel

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  7. I'm male - Bribe me 100 grams of gold to read a BL novel

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. I'm male - Bribe me 10 grams of gold to read a BL novel

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  9. I'm male - Bribe me 1 gram of gold to read a BL novel

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  10. I'm male - Bribe me 0.1 grams of gold to read a BL novel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm male - I would read the BL novel without being paid if it was good

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  12. I'm male - I would read the BL novel without being paid if it was recommended

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  13. I'm male - I already read BL novels!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I'm male - I love BL novels!

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  15. I'm female - I would never read a GL novel no matter how much you paid me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. I'm female - Bribe me 1 million kilograms of gold to read a GL novel

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  17. I'm female - Bribe me 1000 kilograms of gold to read a GL novel

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  18. I'm female - Bribe me 100 kilograms of gold to read a GL novel

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  19. I'm female - Bribe me 10 kilograms of gold to read a GL novel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I'm female - Bribe me 1 kilogram of gold to read a GL novel

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  21. I'm female - Bribe me 100 grams of gold to read a GL novel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I'm female - Bribe me 10 grams of gold to read a GL novel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. I'm female - Bribe me 1 gram of gold to read a GL novel

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  24. I'm female - Bribe me 0.1 grams of gold to read a GL novel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. I'm female - I would read the GL novel without being paid if it was good

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  26. I'm female - I would read the GL novel without being paid if it was recommended

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. I'm female - I already read GL novels!

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  28. I'm female - I love GL novels!

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  29. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. grandurr

grandurr [Daisy's Peony] [Negiomi's Nectar]

Reading List:
    Link
    a man of culture, i see

mangoberry and false like this.
  2. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What is the least amount of gold you would accept to read a BL/GL novel?
    Tho I don't usually peruse GL, I don't mind reading one once in a blue moon. If it's good then I'll read it for free... But opinions are subjective :)

Plus details just don't sink in sometimes when I read something. I'm the type to turn off my brain when I read or watch so I'd rather not have 7 years bad luck over a stupid mistake. My gacha pulls are already horrible :(

2. Do you ever read novels that you don't like? Why do you keep reading?
    Rarely. I don't like putting myself through such torture. If I do keep reading, it's because I want to see if the novel gets any better or I'm honestly amused at how bad the novel is.

3. Suppose that there was a GENUINELY amazing novel in a genre that you don't ordinarily like to read. In fact, the "future you" from a parallel universe has told you this, and encourages you to read the novel because it will change your life. Will you read it?
    Ehhh... I will probably put it off like I do most amazing series I come across lmao. There is a time and place for everything. I also like waiting for hype to die down before I get into any franchises... I'm not a hipster. :blob_blush:

4. What if that "future you" tells you it isn't the genre/novel itself that will change your life, but rather the PEOPLE you will meet because of the hobby. For instance, what if you were told that you will meet your future spouse from doing this hobby?
    There is a time and place for everything. Future me should know that lol. Even if I start doing the hobby now, it doesn't mean I'll meet the future spouse now too. It's better to let things progress naturally rather than try to get a head start and mess everything up.

5. Have you ever stopped yourself from trying a hobby because you were afraid that you would get addicted?
    No? I get tired of things pretty quick and then move onto other things, eventually coming back to do the thing I stopped doing again lol. I have a hobby-cycle.

If anything, then drinking. Not only because I hate the taste but too much is bad for your health, so yeah. Beer and wine taste foul, you can't change my mind lol

6. How do you break an addiction to a hobby?
    You don't :)

Lurking and SilverCrow63 like this.
  3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t need anything to read BL/GL as long as it’s interesting and doesn’t go to far into hentai.

Yes, I do. As long as it’s a good novel that’s all that matters.
    I’ve read demon novels. That doesn’t follow the Christian way. But still love.
    I’ve read a trap novel. That should creep me out. But now it’s on a short list of my all time favorite novels of all time.
    So as I said. All that matters is if it’s a good story.

3. Suppose that there was a GENUINELY amazing novel in a genre that you don't ordinarily like to read. In fact, the "future you" from a parallel universe has told you this, and encourages you to read the novel because it will change your life. Will you read it?
    Yes, I would. I love find treasures like those.

4. What if that "future you" tells you it isn't the genre/novel itself that will change your life, but rather the PEOPLE you will meet because of the hobby. For instance, what if you were told that you will meet your future spouse from doing this hobby?
    I’m fine with that. I believe in fate. When ones destined to be together. Nothing can hold them apart.

5. Have you ever stopped yourself from trying a hobby because you were afraid that you would get addicted?
    Yes, BL. But I still struggle through like a school textbook. I want to know what happens.

Pass. I won’t change. I’m happy being perfectly imperfect.

Lurking likes this.
  4. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Pay me. I would buy more bl :ROFLMAO:

5. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was pretty torn between the first and second option.. at the end of the day, a million KG’s of gold is just barely worth it imho

6. Woho0

Woho0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Least amount of gold you would accept to read a BL/GL novel?
    1 million kilograms of gold, mainly because of the risk it involves of 7 years bad luck and for the lost life years for studying to the point I know every detail.

Never done that.

Yes, if I was really him, I would trust myself.

Sure that works.

Yes, I stopped many times. Every day I stop so I can continue the next day.

By doing something else in exchange.

7. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the other genres of the BL/GL novel if it doesn't have a heavy romance focus like most do I'll read it for nothing probably.
    Nah if I start disliking something I just drop it. Unless I'm told specifically that it's only a 20 chapter arc or something. If I still dislike it after that arc I'll just drop it.
    I don't care what I tell to myself I'll read it when I find it interesting and not before. I will nt fucking read romance.
    Ohh shit master dog must keep his virginity spouse means 100% not partaking in this action.
    never
    By forgetting the hobby exists because I got distracted by the calls of sleep or people in the hobby were annoying fucktards.

8. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    ditto, rather, I'd see how I can exploit the ROOM THAT STOPS TIME.

Arcturus likes this.
  9. Tumtum

Tumtum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya know some of them have interesting plots
    Emphasis on some

10. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Im willing to milk this magical girls wallet

11. NamGi

NamGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the novel is mature and psychological the least amount I'd get is at least 1 million. If it's drama then 100k. If it's heartwarming and fluffy, I'd read it for free.

12. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    The internet says that gold is worth 46,835.92 USD per kg right now. 100kg would get me to around $4.7 million. I think that's a more than adequate sum to live off of for the rest of my life. No working for me~

13. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I don't mind reading GL story, but for my wallet's sake, I want 1 ton of gold as payment.

14. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the idea is the least amount of money you'd do it for.

15. mangoberry

mangoberry beatsaber is too addictive...

Reading List:
    Link
    0 gold, no actually im paying
    yea, but i keep reading cuz i am trash
    i don't like horror and accidentally read a pretty good horror, so yea i'd read it
    wtf but ok
    no
    i stopped playing a game i was addicted to because i had better things to use to waste my time

16. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    i actually have nothing against reading GL...but i'm greedy, so ...give me your highest price wuahahahahahahaha

yea!!!!! NO! i don't keep read! blasphemy for my imagination and my grammar

aaaaaa...is Hero Academia all over again... everyone recommend me to watch but i always put it on hold...
    same goes to Your Name, the anime with slime chara (really don't know the title), mostly all great isekai anime...i don't even watch SAO...
    but i watch No Game No Life, prob the only isekai i watch

hhnngnggg~~~~ hmmmmmm..... so that means, i don't particularly like the novel/genre but i will meet people that will change my life cause of that....
    if i met my future spouse from doing this, i really question their taste of novel...cause we no match!!

ahahahahaha no...i'm still a fujoshi

just stop...i don't think it was that hard, there's already Life that prevent you from doing your hobby in the first place. just go with the flow, or go with life...you'll forget about your hobby sooner or later

17. Ghost_of_a_Witch

Ghost_of_a_Witch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a) If I stick with your scenario the answer is: "No, can't pay me enough to read GL." The spectrum is a bit too wide to let Magical Girl-chan hit me up with a random novel, and I have no wish to potentially end up cursed because of a novel I woudln't touch with a ten feet pole.

b) And simply for the question: I've read some GL, but it's something that doesn't interest me. If a friend wrote a GL story and asked me to read it, they wouldn't have to pay me anything though.

Sadly, I do. The answer to that is somewhere between "I'm a glutton for punishment" and "I'd like to know how it ends". If I don't notice the signs in time I usually stick around (for longer) because I find something interesting in the background or a side character to latch onto and I want to know what happens. (Or I'm hard-pressed for reading material, like it happened with LOHP...)

I will ask a few more questions and decide based on that, because it doesn't depend on just the genre for me. I have a few tropes that I consider deal breakers.

If I met my future spouse because of his addiction to harem novels I'd genuely be worried....:sweating_profusely:

Yes, but not because of fear of addiction.

I'm still here reading bl novels and the like, no?