Discussion IEatTomatoes is a bland author.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by birdboy01, Nov 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. birdboy01

birdboy01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Throughout my years of reading novels, I admit I stumbled across classics and dumpster fires. Oddly enough an author that always seem to produce work is the famous I Eat Tomatoes. I'll admit I shed a tear when I read Coiling Dragon and felt empty after I finished reading it.

I'm pretty sure most of us read either Desolate Era or Coiling Dragon, most likely both. But it seems the rest of his work is completely redundant and bland, especially if you already read one of his works. Reading the first time felt wonderful, but re-reading or simply reading another work of his. Everything seems the same and bland.

The characters, the background, how the plot progress. It's like he changes the names of characters and places and calls it a new novel.

After reading Coiling Dragon, I went to read Desolate Era. While it was a cool novel to read and pass time, it felt incredible lack luster. The plot was nothing but forgotten characters and non-finished story-lines, cringe romance which was somehow the leading motivation for him to get powerful. Even the characters felt like empty cut-outs, while the world itself was large, it felt pretty empty. The ludicrous measurements didn't help either.

Your thoughts?

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My thoughts are that IET novels are the epitome of traditional xianxia and xuanhuan novels, and they're extremely good for being so. If you want something different - which you very well should after reading a couple of novels like that - then you should definitely look somewhere else. But it's not like that means he's a bad author. He isn't. It's just that his work really sticks to that mold.

Blitz, Jaded, Capsize and 7 others like this.
  3. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to admit at least, heartbreaks tend to be a reasonable power up in IET novels. Except for that troll chapter in ST.

4. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Desolate Era is the only CN that I actually finished reading without gagging out of sheer fear of the depths that I cannot fathom in the abyss of the plotholes.

gokal14 likes this.
  5. dezzter

dezzter The one who knows

Reading List:
    Link
    IET writes Xianxia and Xuanhuan that aren't harem and don't suck, just those 2 things already make him top tier among these authors.

6. thekingofgamez

thekingofgamez [He who makes others cough up blood in anger!]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he's ok he's like a solid 7 out of10 you know what you are going to get with his stories since they are all pretty much the same. he is the McDonald's of xianxia novels

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  7. wrightl

wrightl Wizards are better than warriors

Reading List:
    Link
    I would liken IET to fresh baked and buttered bread, bland and common, but still incredibly delicious, but more than anything it is a satisfying comfort food of a story

18scholars, Blitz and otaku31 like this.
  8. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always seen IET as a good introduction to this type of literature, mainly because some of his works are western enough to allow western people to pick it up easily without being completely lost. It's a good introduction to things like how DBZ, naruto, and one piece is for anime. Would I call him the best, no, but he is undoubtedly a big name in this field, and for good reason. For starters, most of his works aren't extremely racist or China Supreme Race-esque. His work caters to a larger audience without alienating people (using rape plots, or killing off numerous beloved characters), which is why his work may seem a bit more bland compared to the murder-happy MCs you may be used to.

Blitz, Capsize, otaku31 and 3 others like this.
  9. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally agree with this.. n im actually like his style a lot n definitely an iet fans... As i like stable progressive story n loyal righteous mc, without any stupid courting death young masters that asking to get faceslapped like in so many cn novels...

otaku31 and Westeller like this.
  10. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    and shakespeare is tragedies author. you find certain style of writing bad doesn't always mean the author/novel itself is bad.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  11. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like you said, IET is not a bad author, just one that sticks to a similar style and outline. His greatest problem has always been his loss of quality on the last third of each of his series.

He is a perfect example of a baseline (for decent) for the genre. After a novel or two, it's better to move on to better works.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad author to me, never liked any of his novels and yes I've tried to read them.

I can see how he appeals to others but to me it's just bad, doesn't help that I hate 99% of Chinese novels.

Just my opinion. :blobnobully::blobnobully::blobnobully:

13. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's be careful with our terminology now. IET only ever attempted one traditional xianxia; all of his other xianxia are modern xianxia :blob_sunglasses:. The number of traditional xianxia available in English more than likely exists on two hands, most of which are translated would be melodramas from the women-oriented sites. The only active one I can even name is Sword Dynasty.

drewjn, Wujigege and Westeller like this.
  14. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    His novels are essentially shounen xianxia novels. You either enjoy the simplicity or are going to snooze your way through til you drop it. That's for his earlier novels, at least. Specifically, CD was a genuinely good story (early on) & DE was a cool powerup xianxia, but both of those factors have been on a massive downward spiral ever since. Makes one wonder what's going on.

otaku31 likes this.
  15. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Only Shakespeare play I like is A Midsummer Night's Dream lol.

16. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IET writes decent and above average works. He writes an excellent starting and first half of his novels is genrally good. But, most of works are tend to be very similar in the second half.

otaku31 likes this.
  17. findwrite

findwrite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read much of his work, but tbh Coiling Dragon has one of the most disappointing endings I've read in a xianxia... :(

18. Jojofann

Jojofann Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The story of CD isn't very good and is below average. But the translator did a very good job.

By the way, CD isn't xianxia. It is xuanhuan. The characters are motivated with their own selfishness and they kill needlessly. So there is nothing heroic about it to be called a xianxia.

19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You are simply @Jaded
    Go read Japanese novels or Korean novels
    Even a good thing consumed in excess is bad for you.
    Maybe try Kuro no Maou or Green Skin :blobamused:
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

20. sherry90

sherry90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have only read Cd and its sequel( I forgot the name lol) and didn't finish De. IMO he wrote above average in term of plot and cultivation and magic system is fun and interesting. But the mcs are similar, I do like them and they are great but yeah they are too similar in term of personality. I wish he would make his mcs as interesting as the cultivation system he created .