The Launch of Scribble Hub!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tony, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    It’d be great if it had a App. I’m sure more people would use it

NiQuinn likes this.
  2. ScholarlyAF

ScholarlyAF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooohhb great. A new place to read

readerz and Nom de Plume like this.
  3. icecream52

icecream52 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i was so confused when i clicked on the side bar on novelupdates and it brought me to this random website, that strangely, had the same detailed tagging format. how exciting! fans of BL cultivation novels can write their own! the one that i clicked on had a suspiciously similar plot and title to "founder of diabolism" hahahaha. i think the author is a MXTX fan :LOL::LOL::LOL: love love love love love NU for it's super detailed tags, it's so easy to find a book with a specific plot.

4. Walk ER

Walk ER New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Big fan

5. Walk ER

Walk ER New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually learned about scribblehub before this site. Great job.

kenar, Arexio, Pyoo and 2 others like this.
  6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Never knew this was possible. Guess ScribbleHub had truly grown big now.

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  7. Walk ER

Walk ER New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Word of mouth works great!

8. Nerodragon12

Nerodragon12 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a pretty cool thing to do.

9. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    That's kinda wild tbh. :blobpopcorn_cool:

10. ZeroXSEED

ZeroXSEED Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to be sure to ask this is for original fiction ONLY correct? And not heavy AU fanfic (which barely resembles original) and all.

11. emilia

emilia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This post just made me want to support this new venture. XD

12. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhyperthink:

Fanfic's are allowed on SH. You just have to designate it as such when posting it.

Source: Myself. I have a pokemon fanfic in my signature. :blobtaco:

Wujigege likes this.
  13. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it possible to view the all the viewers per month since the novel started?.... meaning 14 months will show 14 months shart of views, etc...

14. Ylle-QinMo

Ylle-QinMo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha it is interesting there(been there) since I tried writing there aside from wattpad.com. try it. Haha

Needmore and OnceandFutureLurker like this.
  15. YES Loli NO Touch

YES Loli NO Touch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, can you add "Novel to Epub" function like on -aggregator- ?
    Or can you contact them?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2020
  16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure how people treat epubs in the Original work scenes, but making an epub that normal members can use either for themselves or share with others, without explicit consent from the author, doesn't that spell abuse?

Scribble Hub is an original work platform supporting author's where authors can upload their works, and have readers view, appreciate and follow them. Letting readers free reins to create epubs isn't going to support these authors. Let's be real, making epubs for their own offline reading and not going to share them is a load of bull most of the time.

17. sleepingloli

sleepingloli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not defending anything or anyone here, but:

IMO that should be up to the authors to decide what's abuse and what's not. Not everyone thinks the same way.

Take "Archive Of Our Own" ("AO3") as an example of a website where authors publish their own works (read: not an aggregator) that allows users to download epubs. And btw it runs on GPL-licensed software, so theoretically anyone could just run an AO3 clone with basically zero effort.

It has 2kk registered users according to Wikipedia, and an Alexa rank of 1422 (compared to NU's 7284 and SH's 52165). Yet it has a "download epub" feature, with proper attribution and plenty of links in the first page.

I'm only providing data points as a reference, whatever conclusions you make out of them is another thing.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with them in any way, and only use it to read one original yuri novel. Heck, at a glance most novels there don't even overlap with my tastes, but their filtering looks good enough that I might be able to find one or two more novels if I actually search.

Key sentence here is "most of the time", and beware of survivorship bias.

I for one I'm way more likely to support authors who let me download epubs, because it shows they actually care about making it convenient for me to read their novels.

For example, in the translation scene (yes I know we're talking about original authors, but I don't read many originally English works to begin with), the only thing preventing me from paying a certain translator and a certain translation group is that they don't have explicit permission to translate their respective series. Also they both say they don't want money but that wouldn't stop me from asking them if the previous condition was met.

I actually do buy the novels I read when they're on Amazon, and most people I've met outside NU who reads novels also does the same. Granted, that "everyone" is in the two digits and very dependent of the kind of people I associate with, but I'm saying that the kind of people you have in mind when you say "most" is probably the kind of people who visits legally-sketchy sites like NU (some of them are users and bots from straight-up-illegal aggregation sites). Even if ScribbleHub is more legally-clean, the fact that it's advertised on NU is bound to receive a subset of NU's traffic. Take your conclusions from there.

As another example, when Googling the novel I'm reading from AO3, the only results I get are from AO3, FictionPress and Wattpad, meaning, only legit links that the author has created. Not one questionable site so far as of writing this post.

So like I said, even if it actually turns out most people [currently using ScribbleHub] share the mindset of "providing epubs is bad", beware of biases with those overly-generalizing sentences. Hidden factors are important.

18. freemen muaddib

freemen muaddib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The failure of ScribbleHub was caused by the lack of the ‘xianxia’ genre tag. While ‘wuxia’ can be replaced by ‘martial arts’ and ‘xuanhuan’ by ‘fantasy’ with no loss, there is no substitute for the ‘xianxia’ genre, because is a very unique and addicting genre where the MC powerups himself with some system (Dao, magic, genetics, religion, alien technology, whatever..) to reach the status of a god or of an immortal being. It can be sometimes translated as ‘cultivation’ genre, and even western authors label their works “cultivation novel” now. Forgetting such a loved and fascinating genre, ScribbleHub alienated a big audience, both of authors and readers.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  19. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except it's no real loss at all.

Like 90% of cultivation novels are just the same generic crap. MC is useless, often abandoned by his family or fiance, then has a miraculous encounter and suddenly catches up with all of his peers. It is then a cycle of antagonising powerful people who act like stereotypical 3rd rate villains, be left for dead or be chased away by them, have another miraculous encounter and power up (maybe in the middle of a battle with one of their Elders), go beat up all the villains, move to a new area where the MC is among the weakest cultivators again, antagonise more 3rd rate villains, repeat ad nauseum.

If you want to read that there are already plenty of websites full of that trash, but please don't ruin Scribble Hub with it.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribblehub is growing daily and has over 20000 users already. It didn't fail at all, the site is being very successful.

Xianxia is an unneeded genre, Martial Arts + Fantasy cover it.

Blitz, Arcturus and Ultrabenosaurus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.