What is "space magic"?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Nov 29, 2019.

?

Would you find space magic useful if it only acted as a positioning function to other magic types?

1. Why are you asking this?

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. Yeah, that would be great

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. No, I would rather invest in attack magic

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ShemShen

ShemShen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me space magic will be something at the basic like getting location you need in the form of cordinates, then would be manipulating by shrinking,expanding, bending, twisting or shreding space. For example you could twist space at the location as a attack or shrink space when you attack with weapon to literally attack from anywhere, altering path of other attacks as defensive means by example you avoid attack by expanding space beetween you and it or bend its path to miss you. Then would be teleportation by shrinking space beetween 2 points to get to the location by making one step or moving your surrounding there. If you think about it then you could even imitate wind magic by enclosing space in which is air for example, condense it and then hurl at others. But something like subspace should not be possible i mean for living beings, you need for that time magic or else it would be frozen in time.

Edit: Answer to the survey. It depends on situation , if you are attacking someone who you can see then you dont need it, but if you are sniping him and you dont see him and you cant confirm his location by any other means then you will need it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    UnGrave likes this.
  2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Not distance, area. A lines area is zero too, right?

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Space magic is when there is cake in the fridge and suddenly it is gone!

I swear I didn't eat it! It was space magic!

PS Gravity magic is part of space magic. Just space magic is a bigger category than gravity magic precisely due to more flexibility of space magic than just bending space but quantum entangling space as well.

UnGrave, Anra7777 and Meloman like this.
  4. ShemShen

ShemShen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would say that universe is in dimension but diffrent dimensions cant be in one universe.

what he means is if you get normal string beetween fingers where string is you symbol of path and fingers as point A and B then you can move on the straight line which is sting or you can manipulate space by bringing fingers closer.

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spatial magic generally seems to revolve around the control and manipulation of, well, space. As in what the author believes to be the very fabric of reality. Also, teleportation. ... Y'know, things like this differ a bit from novel to novel. Every author puts their own spin on magic. So there isn't really a correct answer to your question -- you have to figure out what spatial magic is within each new novel it appears in. ... But you knew that.

6. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite take on space / universe etc is the last scene of Men In Black where the little marble gets returned... and I think there was a locker there. That’s some awesome idea for space, and it’s very “easy” to understand, somehow. MIB ... now I wanna rewatch it. Matrix as well- another way of thinking about space and dimensions... everything is reality in the eyes of the observer...

7. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    If space magic is thought of as that then it’s basically mathematics lol

8. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Spatial magic is a magic that manipulate our plane of existence. The basic of the basic is of course to designate the space we want to manipulate. This designated area mostly appeared in cube form because cube is the basic 3D geometry with height, width and length. This designated area should be invisible but that's gonna make it hard to describe.

Ripping space can be described as disalignment of two designated space. Example, cutting apart a picture in two, designating which part is left and which part is right. Though it's easier to just designate the cut itself rather than both cutted part.

If you bend space, you'll make a pseudo gravity but gravity magic should be more toward manipulating gravitational pull of an object. The result might be similar, but the process is different

CountryMage likes this.
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll say this now, space magic can never be a cube and for obvious reasons. The basic 3d shape is a ball. Hence why planets and stars are balls (or at very least elliptical). Cubes are just easier for humans to draw and make but the basic unit would always be a ball

10. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    Space magic is too complicated. You won't understand even if I explain it. And I don't understand either.

- Most authors maybe
    [​IMG]

11. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    space magic is simply supposed to be used for your inventory. it's supposed to represent infinite storage which is something i wouldn't have minded going up with. lol

12. sleepingloli

sleepingloli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just imagine creating a "portal" by bending space to connect two regions of space...

... and how much fun would it be to be at the middle of those two connected regions...

... at least until everything gets sucked up microseconds later due to the sudden increase of mass in that single point.

13. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It highly depends on the author. Generally I'd say that teleportation, inventory (items) and (to some extend) the whole school of conjugation are considered space magic. Having the entire school of conjugation would however be a bit overkill, so other types of magic tend to have fitting versions of it themselves (i.e. fire magic has summoning fire elemental, etc.)

And no it is not gravity magic. Gravity magic (imho) is magic that "floats", pulls and crushes things in relation to something else.
    It is quite similar to using magnets (just that pretty much everything is magnetic if and only IF you (or the author) want it to be).
    Space magic is way more versatile than that (and thus way harder to learn).

Depending on the author and your skill level (enlightenment/understanding regarding) with Space magic, the things you can do (usually) increase along the line of:
    1. Know your location (in relation to some point)
    2. Slightly bend space. Think of a sheet of paper with an arrow on it. You can fold it a bit to make the arrow look smaller or you can twist it (without ripping it) to make the arrow point in a slightly different direction.
    3 Teleportation / Inventory.
    4. (Temporarily) rip the space, dealing damage to what-/whoever comes in contact with said tears, like being cut with a knife-
    5. Create your own little pocket dimension.

To put the difference of gravity and space magic into perspective:

Space magic is picking up a chess piece and place it on the board (depending on how good you are, you can place it wherever you want).
    Gravity magic is tying a rubber band around a chess piece and either slowly drag it to where you want or straight up use it as a slingshot.

Space magic changes your position (and direction) while leaving your original speed alone.
    Gravity magic changes your original speed and direction to change your position.

Or in LoL terms: One is Flash/Teleport, the other is Blitzcrank

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  14. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Cosmic rays fired from a bunghole

15. Silvarion

Silvarion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, in my opinion, information about distance is not exclusive to space magic. you can use just about any kind of magic to do that. the important thing is being able to extract and understand information from your magic. that's divination imo.

also bending space being gravity. that might be true. that's why the space and gravity around the black hole is so.... weird? I don't know the full extent of it though. they say you can see the both top and the bottom of some neutron stars at the same time because the space around them are bent.

UnGrave likes this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    space magic is magic that manipulate space, this cat mean on x y z coordinates term~ length, distances, or something like that~ weird enuf on fic somehow it gain another ability which is time manipulation~ this cat think time magic still hardest one~ lowest lvl on time magic is slowing time while da highest is destroy time... no past no present no future.... ultimate destruction cuz like it or not everything connected with time

put that aside item box is example of compression of material put aside time magic.... material as big as house or as many as star on sky can put into doraemon pocket that like compressed thing no? teleport is example of manipulation on distance so clear enuf
    simple way space magic is really useful on logistic department oh it can also used as form of destruction u see put something on pouch space then destroy it imagine what happen toward thing inside? ah prison also sound like good idea

17. John Matheus de J. L. Reis

John Matheus de J. L. Reis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a power capable of controlling the space itself, so you can teleport, eliminate enemies by sending them to another point in space, be it another dimension or another space in the same dimension. In addition, you can cut the space, and among other varieties of subtypes. I believe that has clarified what you want to know, I think, hahahaha.

18. John Matheus de J. L. Reis

John Matheus de J. L. Reis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And another thing I forgot to mention, but with that power, you can even manipulate a subspace, where you can store everything.

19. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    bend the paper(space), poke a hole....and fuck it.......this is teleport magic

20. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    Like a Space Magic