Spoiler The Abandoned Empress

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Regalia1896, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meliantiqua

meliantiqua Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it ridiculous that ppl would drop a series because they got spoiled by the ending and hated it just because the MC didn't end up with their fave (which honestly doesn't make sense because their fave has only been introduced for only a couple of chapters and they like them just because they're sweet as honey buns) You do realise there's room for character development right? Seems that some ppl don't really care about that which is essential for a good story.

djan29, sayuny, Akihime and 1 other person like this.
  2. yueppic

yueppic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woww thankyouu! That is so something. I thought his family would do something too, like something really feel fishy when I see allen's father. And turn out they all are loyal to the empire?

And for mirkan tho, I still don't understand why he become that way to ruve or is it because with that way he will lead ruve to be a great person? Like that's his own way to make ruve the next emperor._.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Eodez likes this.
  3. Lulucute

Lulucute Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also I find it odd that only this novel faced this much of rejection and was ironically abandoned while there's so many novels where the female lead still ends up with the considered "shitty emperor" and gets translated and updated unlike this one. I just don't get this double behavior when it comes to the abandoned empress, where actually the male lead for once knows he messed up, growns and learns, is dedicated and tries his best even tho technically all of the shitty behavior was caused by the first life emperor and not this one, yet the second life prince was responsible and actually tried to understand Tia and help her. Is the prince the perfect male lead? No. But in my opinion he is such a better male lead than other males leads in some reincarnation novels who may even spend several lives being shitty towards the female lead until they realize omg they love her. Ironically, I truly believe by far from all the shitty male leads that I have read, this male lead is well handled and written than others but that's my own humble opinion.

Anyways, it seems people aren't going to translate or take the abandoned empress as a real project and finish it. It seems that the abandoned empress, at least as a novel so far, shall always be abandoned by people.

sayuny, Akihime, lan2001h and 4 others like this.
  4. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    We need to send it back in time! Preferrably so it can get renamed and find a translator that's unhealthilty obssessed with it before ending up with the original translator who has had a change of heart!

Lulucute likes this.
  5. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its not getting picked up cause the manwha is way ahead and people usually perfer manga/manwah adaptations

Lulucute likes this.
  6. Lulucute

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep but sadly there was also some people who stopped translating due to the ending and they didn't like that. In general they thought it was a waste of time translating and went to another project. I just don't think even if after the webtoon does end that the novel will be picked up but I could be wrong and I hope to be wrong cause I always prefer novels to webtoon. There's more information about the characters and so on. I really hope in the future it gets picked up.

lan2001h likes this.
  7. Lulucute

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I do believe it will be hard to find a translator to take it as a project and continue with it. One, due to the amount of backlash the novel got and still does till this day. Also some people truly, and I mean truly are opposed to this novel/webtoon due to the ending. So some translators sadly got discouraged by the reaction which I get tbh. However, I shall always hope that this novel gets picked up nonetheless.

8. Lulucute

Reading List:
    Link
    Also out of curiosity, did the writer of the abandoned empress ever write other novels or is it this one only? Cause if they have other works I would like to know of them. So if anybody has an idea please let me know.

9. meliantiqua

meliantiqua Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeap, I agree with that bolded statement. Oh! If you know spanish, they already have translations up for that (i had to use google translate since i don't understand spanish haha) and in one of the recent chapters, the prince from the 2nd life actually told Tia not to compare him with someone else and that he's different (something along those lines) He's actually more sweet and is shown to be much more caring towards her. Dude even covered her up using his coat since they both got hit by rain lol which was a complete 360 change from when we first saw him in the first chapter.

Eodez and Lulucute like this.
  10. Lulucute

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay! Finally someone who shares the same opinion as me. Honestly, I think the second life prince was most than likely headed to be like the first life prince but what caused a change is that he noticed Tia is freezing when she sees him, doesn't want to be married to him or associated with him/royal family and ofc when he read the letter of her dream he finally understood why and he immediately took action upon himself to try to understand more about Tia and that there's more the situation than his negative feelings about her and from there you truly see the growth. I will never excuse the first life prince cause he was shitty through and through and I am glad he was killed and died all alone. But the second life prince, while yes he carried the same negative feelings towards Tia, they were still at the beginning and he is unaware of what the other version of him has done/was capable of doing. But once he became aware of what happened he truly tried his best to better himself and his treatment with Tia. Like he truly became devoted to her issues and problems and wants to understand her better. In my opinion both prince's while shared the same mindset at some point about Tia, you see one taking his hate to the extreme and another realizing and questioning himself and trying to be better. Yes, they are the same soul but both took different roads in order to reach their own "truth/reality".

11. Eodez

Eodez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, you can find the novel on Google Books in Korean!

12. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is the thing.

People who picked it last year didn’t care for character development, they only cared about love team and ships. Or endings that they want. As a reverse harem novel, I understand that people will want their own opinion on who should end up with the MC. They have an opinion however they don’t want to entertain the idea that it just an opinion and the author decides the ending. Also, the time travel mechanic does provide a good mechanism for a different endings and character development. So when they found out that ML is still gonna end with the MC, every place that talked about this series went nuclear to the point that some readers who read this for free wants to harass the author. That for me is the effing final straw. Readers don’t dictate endings or characters unless the author wants reader feedback and work with that feedback. To be honest, this series gave me a rude awareness about entitled fans who take liberties when they like it. They could have easily dropped it and left it alone but even in this thread you can still have people bitching about it...which just confirms that they are entitled pricks. If you aired that opinion of yours around February last year, you’ll get the same harassment like the author did. And you’ll probably be labeled as a misogynist even if you’re female.

13. Lulucute

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it really seems like that sadly. And honestly I don't know how the author dealt with the huge backlash they got. The fact they even continued the story and finished it is admirable. That's why I also want to know did the author write other novels after this one or due to the reaction of people they no longer want to write? Cause that would be such a shitty thing, pushing someone to stop loving what they do due to you not liking what they created. It blows my mind still how intensely this novel is hated tbh when in reality is not different from several other reincarnation works. Maybe it was released when reincarnation ws still new as a topic and so people felt even more aggressive towards the ending. I don't know but I find it how this novel was singled out from all the other reincarnation novels to be hated on. It feels of you like the abandoned empress then you become an ugly duckling, the odd one out. Still I really hope someone picks the novel cause truly I want to read it.

lan2001h and Akiyuki_chan like this.
  14. Jamjam

Jamjam Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you.. But that means we have to translate it in english for us to understand?

15. Jamjam

Jamjam Member

Reading List:
    Link
    May i ask on what happened to the Ras family and Verita family after the Monique family's downfall on the 1st timeline? And also what the imperial faction felt for the deaths of Aristia and Keirean's death in the 1st timeline? Thanks

Eodez likes this.
  16. chinguyen

chinguyen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who like reading a lot of reincarnation novels, I belong to the troupe that detest the ending where Tia ended up with the prince. I cannot speak for others who share this same opinion with me as to why they disagree with this couple choice, but for me it's because I could never finish reincarnation novels where female leads ends up with male leads who abuses/previously abused them. To define abuse in novel setting, for me is when the male take action - knowingly it will harm the female physically and/or mentally - and the female has no say in whether she choose to accept this or not. Why I say this is because in these novels, the setting would usually involves schemes and politics, so we have settings where female lead might agree to get hurt/ physically or mentally - in order to help male lead achieve certain things. In some settings after they have sacrificed themselves, male lead might turns on them - Which would become the foundation for a reincarnation/second change concept. At this point some authors might still try to make the "bad" male lead as one of the romantic candidates by trying to justify the previous bad actions, or try for redemption - but in this novel I just couldn't agree with the justification for the prince and the setting for their romance.

1. The present prince is not the past prince - it's a fact we can agree on - but the past did happened, and there was no plausible explanation as to why it happened the way it did. There was no setting of any wrong doings significant enough on Tia's part, or external side such as political benefit to justify why past prince had to utterly destroy Tia' family like that. He ordered execution on her father after the miscarriage of the other girl but we didn't see any evidence/investigation happened. He made Tia lost her baby after he himself forcefully impregnated her. What wise ruler executed a powerful family related to his empress without any concrete evidence like this, if he didn't have such intention already? Was there a fear of rebellion? External politics scheme against Tia's family that made the prince take such extreme action? The author could have used any of these usual settings as justification for the past prince's action, but instead the author played on the "inferiority-complex and bad impression of Tia since childhood" story which just couldn't have been the reason for such extreme actions, given the prince was portrayed as a "logical, smart, genius" and a "wise ruler."

I believe many readers weren't satisfied with the justification of the past prince's action, that's why they can't forgive the past to move on accepting the present prince. Thus, once I tried putting myself into Tia's shoes, I couldn't stomach the idea of loving the prince. I mean, I don't think a female could so easily love the other/possible version of someone who killed her child, her father and ordered her execution for unjustifiable reasons like this. The most he could get would be forgiveness. Which brought us to second point:

2. There was never any love in the past that could act as a foundation for romantic interest between the present Tia and present prince. Past life, Tia's affection for the prince was due to her being raised to be Empress, she was taught since young that she has to love and aid him - but there was never any sparks - Tia loved him as a duty, he never opened up to her. I know love can do many things to a person, even forgive a crazy series of event done to them by their loved one, but the "love" Tia had for the prince was never enough for her to do that. Combining with the fact that he was the source of trauma and what ended her family, I don't know how the author make it happen, but I just couldn't see Tia opening herself up to love or be interested in the prince in the second lifetime. Opposite of love is indifference, so even if she doesn't hate the prince, most likely she would be indifferent to him, not love him.

I have read many comics/novels where my romantic couple choice didn't end up the choice of the author, but in this particular novel alone, the reasoning he (I assume the author is a he) gave to the final couple didn't do it for me. Since romance is the primary reason why people pick this up in the first place, I think its understandable why some translators/readers dropped it once they know the ending didn't sit right with them. The author has the right to write what he wants and creates an ending that suits his choices, so naturally readers can also choose to continue/ quit reading and to provide feedbacks. I think its a common issue that any writer/creator would have to face.

Also, I believe the reason why this one got such strong reactions from readers is because the author has what it takes to make good stories, so once he takes in constructive feedbacks, I believe he will be able to make even better stories in the future.

17. Lulucute

Reading List:
    Link
    Some points I agree and some points I disagree cause I assure you there's other novels where the female lead still chooses and ends up with the shitty male lead even she has been abused over and over again. Maybe because I read lots of novels by now but trust me when I say this is one of the novels where the shitty male lead actually has some sort of reasonable and worthy redemption, at least in my opinion.
    I strongly agree with that we didn't get enough justification for the treatment of the first prince. However, for the other novels that had graphic and painful abuse not getting the same intensity as this one comes to be as hypocritical tbh.
    I get your points I do but I truly still believe this novel deserves a chance. The writing is good and I do like how the second life has been developing and how the male lead is growing. If anything, I feel the novel kept improving as we reach the end and I would like to see or read other works of this writer cause I am really curious.

Like I said before, I truly believe this novels needs to get a fair chance still. Not just for me but for other people who still want to read it and actually like it.

lan2001h, Akiyuki_chan and Eodez like this.
  18. chinguyen

chinguyen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you there are novels with even more unhealthy and abusive relationships than this one, and somehow the author managed to justify and persuade the majority of the readers that it was acceptable, "just the right amount of angst and drama" while in fact logically speaking it wasn't justifiable at all. That's why like I said previously, I can't speak for others, as for me I just couldn't finish novels where female lead is unjustifiable abused by her partner...

Though it's true this novel still should get a chance. I believe this kind of romance would be more popular with Chinese novel translator/reader, since the setting in romance Chinese novels would usually have similar abused female leads, the similar angst that readers come expecting. So good luck maybe someday someone would decide to pick up the Korean translation, or a Chinese translation would be available to re-translate into English.

19. tamakosan

tamakosan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes there it is mostly chinese novel and I don't read it, and all I need is a jusify reason for ending that make me feel like "yeah he deserve her" that all.

20. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing about feedback is that readers think they have a ton of sway. For published materials like this, the story already ended and loose ties were fixed. Authorsan did his or her job but gets bashed when the current prisoner doesn’t still well with the readers. It just means that the audience didn’t wait for the story to develop and the way the material is marketed means you have to wait. This is the truth here. The story has a good conclusion but only a few people waited while others raged. Is that fair to the author?

I write for other people and fiction things so if an were the author of this series my takeaway from this drama is

1. There are readers who were entitled pricks. They read the novel, comment to feedback on something which most likely I don’t have control of since it is already published material. Most likely they get mad over something already done but still expect me to change it.
    2. Stick to one couple only. Prevents shipping and people being nuclear in who is the best ML.
    3. Get a good support system in real life because primary readers and entitled pricks will have their say and most of them won’t be really be encouraging, possible or even open minded. Constructive criticism is better asked from other writers, editors and publishers. Don’t believe me? Go to any comment section and it’s an ocean of salt. Or the first few pages of this thread.
    4. Always set in a modern romance so people won’t be bothered with arranged marriages, lavender marriages and other forms of romantic relationships that existed in the past.
    5. Just write fluffy scenes. Don’t bother to send a profound message. LN and WN isn’t the right medium for it anyway.
    6. Don’t tick the romance tag.
    7. Don’t bother character development on ML. The more the stereotypical and tropey the ML, the better and easier to bash.
    8. Don’t mix romance and politics. Nobody is interested in the latter category. And I don’t have to freaking explain that no, even if she the female lead she doesn’t take the godamn throne like waving a hand.
    9. Don’t use titles eventhough everyone expects the female lead to be the alpha female. Readers don’t care about the hierarchy and the research I’m gonna do on it anyway.
    10. Write under different names. Coz some crazy readers will bother you with ‘feedback’ on your other work when you already done with it. This I can recommend to this author coz s/he needs a new fresh page to work and not be beholden to readers who just don’t agree with her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.