Discussion Why do most novels that try to subvert become the very thing they were making fun of or subverting

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by theilikepie, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take these villaness otome reincarnation novels for example. The novel might talk about how the heroine is a a hoe for having a bunch of dudes but lo and behold. By the end of the 5th chapter there are a bunch of dudes who are throwing themselves at the villaness MC . Then we have the villaness herself who turns into

D325Lm6_d.jpg

And then wow. It turns out the heroine was secretly a bitch the whole time. Basically a generic reverse harem except the roles are reversed. Just waiting for the inevitable "I was reincarnated into a villaness reincarnated otome game novel as the heroine who's secretly a bitch"

Then we have the reincarnating as a support character or being the friend to the dude with a harem. Well dense MC kun wholeheartedly supports his friend getting a harem. But wait why is this big titted one esan ara ara ing me? And why are all thse girls looking at her with jealousy. Meanwhile MCs friend turns out to be rapey asshole or dissapears

It seems to be false advertising to me. The novel/manga is different for the first few chapter the does a complete 180 and goes down gneric street

LockedPuppet, 0000000 and Fuyuneko like this.
  2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ... personally I believe the author is trying to paint their MC in a good light by making her rivals the "bad guy". The stereotype "shorten others' line to lengthens own"/"where you stand is bright while the other places are dark.

That or every human being is a bitch and when shit goes south our inner child/ demon pops up to say "fuck you".

3. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be honest. When the author does it makes me want to not like the MC. It's really bad writing when the author can make there characters intresting on their own so they have to make others 6000 times worse

MagneticMagnet and 0000000 like this.
  4. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Really depends on how you see the world, kinda why this work is pointed to shoujo not older "shoujo" because with age comes the amount of shit we need to deal with. Cynicism and hypocrism runs pretty much anywhere.

GDLiZy and theilikepie like this.
  5. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    To create an overman you need a subhuman to point at. Or to put it diffrently to praise someone as great you need someone to curse at as being lowly. It is simple and dastardly technique of comparison that begins even with little children being mocked for not being like someone else.

acip80x3jfse, kenar, 0000000 and 2 others like this.
  6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a combination of writers not really understanding not knowing what subversion and satire are and bad writing. It's easy, but very wrong, to think that you create something completely different as long as you put a twist on the original. It's not really something that beginner writers should try to pull off because they're very likely to make a mess of things.

This is somewhat true, but it still just boils down to bad writing. There are vastly better ways to generate the same effect but it requires skill and effort so a lot of writers resort to this junk approach.

theilikepie and zenla like this.
  7. daxrocket

daxrocket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The author has a good idea for a story and when they can't write about the premise anymore, they fall back on cliches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.