Discussion Your biggest pet peeve while reading a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NinjapowerMS, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjapowerMS

NinjapowerMS Local man ruins everything

Reading List:
    Link
    Sites that has no damn next or previous chapter. Second would be novels with interesting descriptions so you go ahead and read it then slowly realize this is a yaoi novel despite blocking that tag

2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sites that use 'clever' font choices and colors.

lolopolo, GDLiZy, Diametric and 3 others like this.
  3. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone ruining the story by telling you what is gonna happen next. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

novaes likes this.
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    When there isn't a ToC for different arc, and you need to search chapter after chapter where you stopped....

ebonykun likes this.
  5. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it is the random usage of japanese words even if the novel isn't JP and/or the word can be directly translated to english easily.
    At least this sort of thing isn't common, but its still annoying as hell.
    I would also agree on the no next / previous chapter one, and I would add the no chapter list / outdated chapter list.

MarxDarkBear likes this.
  6. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    when it gets too sappy in the romance department. Everytime i read works by that douluo dalu guy, i get cringe whenever the romance is involved. When my cringe-o-meter reached 90%, i dropped it. Hence never finish reading any of his works.
    A pity cause most of his stories have great start.

7. neogamer

neogamer Cute is justice!「Maxwell 」

Reading List:
    Link
    Machine translated with no editing is cancer for the eyes.

lolopolo, MMWO, Iloverabbits and 4 others like this.
  8. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    The sad truth that your favorite novel isn't gonna be translated anymore or the fact that there's no dark mode. Sht be blinding my eyes at night.

Liyus, Capsize, Kansuou and 4 others like this.
  9. acip80x3jfse

acip80x3jfse Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hidden anti-stealing text/ images that makes it hard to use readermode, noScript, darkmode
    Chapter titles that spoil the content - makes you close your eyes and scroll away from the title

10. LK

LK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I'm interrupted while reading

novaes likes this.
  11. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • When the villains are just douchebags that do pointless evil deeds just to make the readers hate them, and don't actually have any point other than being stomped by the protagonist in the next chapter.
    • When the protagonist gets some sickenly cute animal/monster companion to be their pet, extra hate if the author decides to narrate the annoying sounds to makes.
    • When the novel index doesn't have the chapter titles it just has the numbers, so if I want to reread a scene again I have to guestimate how far into the story it is.
    • When the translation is just dialog without any proper narrative, and we're supposed to guess what is happening by hearing the characters make corny exclamations about what is happening.
    • Also when the translator is too lazy to clarify which character is talking. So you just have floating dialog without anyway of annoying who said what.
    • Translator/Editor notes, where they make stupid little comments or jokes, like they're giving their own version of directors commentary, like we give a shit what they have to say.

zanari likes this.
  12. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it's when the translator and editor have to comment on the novel every few sentences, ruins the immersion and flow plus it's unprofessional.

Chrono Vlad and novaes like this.
  13. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    500 chapters that I have to read by manually clicking every chapter on its novel updates site.
    plugins for decreasing text size that instead increases your text size.
    text that is way too tiny to read on a mobile screen

14. cplnerd

cplnerd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. MY biggest annoyance is when translators put the translation date in the URL. ( I read on PC and Mobile so its easier to just edit chapter # in URL )
    2. No next chapter button.
    3. TL notes that are opinions and not explanations immediately after the sentence.
    4. AD's that have fake buttons while on mobile.

Diametric likes this.
  15. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. No next chapter button.
    2. Doesn't happen often on translations, but when the author's notes are like an essay themselves. TLDR.
    3. Websites that are like, "Turn off your adblocker to help support us." So I do and find ads that pop up in front of the text so I can't read the story, or are audio ads, or there are so many ads that the page slows to a crawl. NOPE. Turn adblocker back on.
    4. There was one story, ONE, that I was following on webnovel. I was paying from the daily free spirit stones. Since it was just one story, I could afford to catch up. Then I get to about 80% and I can't read no more cause it's premium. Rage quit.

novaes likes this.
  16. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    Certain ads appearing in chapter that makes you lose interest i.e. diabetes and simililar ads appearing on chapter about food.

17. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    gave up on one novel for a number of reasons, but that was one of the big ones. was a KR novel, and watching the MC go from a serious character that probably didn't have a single funny bone in her body suddenly turn into a happy go lucky tour guide valley weeb because the TL decided to use JP words because they "sounded cute" was horribly off putting.

qidian/webnovel was/is a gem for that. it's been amazing how their "translators" managed to take a machine translation and actually make 'em even harder to understand.

however, i think my biggest peeve is the MC's denseness, in either iteration. the common "smart, strong, and capable woman" trope that always seems to fall apart once the male lead shows up. she could have all the powers of a god, and yet she'll constantly make choices that go against both logic and her goals to constantly push herself into situations where people try to rape her and she can't/won't fight back, even when she's on the border of death. she'll survive thinks to the male lead's deus ex rapist, get taken advantage of, and then go back about her daily life, without a single serious thought towards how this shit has been happening on a regular basis and what can be done about it. then there's the super dense male lead that could be surrounded by his naked harem, each groping and grinding on him and each other saying "fuck me now!" and he'll ponder over how cold they look, wonder about what he should make them for dinner, and then think on how the girls around him probably want literally anything other than him right now, because there's no way that could ever happen. they're so dense that it's a miracle they can dress themselves without forgetting how to breathe along the way. these people bother me to no end.

Zomula likes this.
  18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I dislike the least is bad writing; especially the writing that's designed to engender a particular response towards a character or situation, but fails to pull it off. Books that do this tend to end up feeling particularly icky. If that doesn't count, then it's the way so many titles are left untranslated. I get it if the original title is short and catchy, but it's really dumb with the super long titles out there - No, it's not easy to tell all the Akyaku books from each other. And trying to write about any one of them is a complete pain in the neck.

To be fair, while I don't know how common this is overall, there are some non-Japanese books out there that actually straight up use Japanese terms. The ones I've seen most commonly are "moe" and "loli", but there are sure to be many more out there. And this even happens in non-otaku oriented books written by people who aren't otakus, so I can only imagine that the actual otaku books are much worse.

19. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is really minor, but it really irks me when TLs incorrectly use both "although" and "but" in the same sentence.

Like, only one is needed. Using both doesn't make sense.

E.g.:
    "Although the is translator trying their best, but they keep screwing this up."

should either be

"Although the translator is trying their best, they keep screwing this up."

or

"The translator is trying their best but they keep screwing this up".

20. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reading comments after finishing a chapter, but it irks me to no end when all the comments are not about the chapter itself.

It has made me drop a non-BL KN over 300 chapters in because the comments were full of "rot", even during the more serious chapters when one side of the pairing wasn't even mentioned...

novaes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.