Question Help translate JP phrases

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Qvintex, Dec 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Qvintex

Qvintex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would apreciate some help with few phrases (MTL).

ヒロト以前 -- Prehistory of Hiroto /// Before Hiroto. No context. Chapter name. I used /Before/ but it just sounds bad. So i was wondering what would be better. Would pre-history work or does anyone have better ideas?

身体はごつい -The body looked tough.
    は - can be translated as tooth.
    Any chance for phrase to be something related to having long fangs? Context vampire appeared and this sentence used to describe something about him.

弓矢が引き戸に突き刺さ。- The arrow pierced the sliding door.
    Context - guard shot arrow to vampire. But where does the sliding door comes from????

Pls help!

2. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    During Hiroto era...

Sturdy body/ Looks strong/ Tough-looking. You could use either of these. は in this sentence is a particle.

The arrow pierce through the sliding door.

Qvintex likes this.
  3. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ヒロト以前. 以前 can mean before, ago, since, previous. Here it can mean the time/era before Hiroto. you can't use pre-history because it has its own word 有史以前.

身体はごつい. The correct one is the first one, and it has no relation whatsoever to a tooth. は here is a particle to connect 身体 (body) as the object and ごつい (tough/rough/hard) as the modifier. It is describing that he looked tough/buff.

弓矢が引き戸に突き刺さ。obviously, the sliding door is a description of the surrounding. I don't know the whole paragraph but maybe the arrow is shot at the vampire but he dodges and it hit the sliding door instead.

Qvintex likes this.
  4. Qvintex

Qvintex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ty for the help!